Chefelf.com Night Life: Which System is Better? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Which System is Better? GameCube, Playstation 2 or Xbox?

Poll: Which is the best system?

Which is the best system?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 December 2003 - 11:53 AM

This is the obligatory thread where fanboys (and fangirls) can argue vehemently about which system is the best. It's done on every other forum in the world so I figured I would start up the thread here as an inaugural post in this new forum.

GameCube Fanboy: You can't play Zelda on the other two systems or link your Gameboys to trade Pokemon with your friends! Nintendo will always rule!

Playstation 2 Fanboy: Playstation 2 has 476,000 games. It has the most games, dammit! The most is the best!

Xbox Fanboy: The Xbox is totally rad! It has the fastest processor, the most RAM and the most powerful graphics processor! More power = more better!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 December 2003 - 01:51 PM

I like PS2 the best. I just like the fluidity of the games of it, and how they are all aimed towards larger, more mature audiences than the Gamecube. I also like how it keeps its asian flair, unlike the Americanized flair the XBOX showcases.

Just my opinion anyways.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#3 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 17 December 2003 - 02:08 PM

I have a PS2 that is pretty derned good, but i voted Gamecube just cuz... i don't know. It just seems more good and pure to me.

Besides, the PS2 doesn't have half the diversity of the original PSX. There were so many niche titles released stateside (granted there could have been many many more), but the PS2 still pales in comparison.

Also the Gamecube has a fairly decent backlog of Dreamcast games (with a few major exclusions, of course). I foolishly missed my chance to own a Dreamcast, so... any link i have to it would be fine and dandy.

blah blah blah
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#4 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:36 PM

A PS2 can play Final Fantasy Tactics.

Naught else matters.

#5 User is offline   sinister grinner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 17 December 2003 - 10:23 PM

ninja duck speaks the truth.
final fantasy tactics is a great game. i remember when he hadn't played it for very long. remember that ninja duck. good times.

anyway.in my opinion ps2 has the best games. it's just that about every game that i like, think is awesome, or completely altered my perception of coolness (thats good) is on the ps2.
Thirteen and a half.
Twelve jurors,
one judge,
and half a chance.

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 December 2003 - 11:58 AM

Due to a mess up I can't vote in my own poll (foiled by my own software) but my vote is for the Xbox.

The Xbox is certainly the most powerful system as far as specs go. If you've ever played a game that's out for all three platforms on the three different consoles you'll see what I mean. PS2 seems choppy in comparison to GC and Xbox. This is understandable since the technology behind the PS2 is at least one full year older than that of the GC and the Xbox.

I like to have a PS2 and GC for games that don't come out on all three systems (i.e. Mario, Zelda, Jak II, Ratchet & Clank, etc.). However, if a game comes out on all three systems I like to play the Xbox version.

For modding purposes I also like the Xbox. There are a million things you can do with the Xbox if you have modded it:

1.) Using emulators to play NES, Atari, Intellivision, etc. games.

2.) Replacing the stock hard drive with a bigger one and backing up movies and games to the hard drive.

3.) Using Xbox Media Player to play Divx, AVI, movie files as well as mp3 and audio files making it a complete multimedia center.

4.) Install Linux and have yourself the cheapest, fully functional PC money can buy (currently $179.99).

You can do similar things with a PS2 mod but it's nowhere near as powerful.

Anyway, that's why my vote remains with the Xbox.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2003 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Dec 18 2003, 11:58 AM)
...Anyway, that's why my vote remains with the Xbox.

You can do that?! But then again, how much time do you have to spend to do those kinds of things to an XBOX?

Unbelieveable.. ohmy.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 December 2003 - 01:06 PM

Oh you can do that, indeed. It's not that difficult. Well worth it to get the fullest out of the machine. It's really wasted just being a video game machine.

#9 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:51 PM

Did you know that for every XBOX Microsoft sells they lose upwards of 70 dollars? Probably not much to them, but it all adds up...

Not that difficult, eh? But what about how expensive it is?
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 18 December 2003 - 06:10 PM

It's actually much more than that. That estimate may be old (from when the Xbox costed $300.00). They're losing more than $200 per Xbox sold here in the United States. The strategy with Microsoft is that they will make thier money back from the games and even more so from their new online service.

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 December 2003 - 06:47 AM

I like PC games. Especially since I got an emulator. While you suckers are coughing out big bucks on your xbox's and your PS2's, I m getting games for zip (no pun intended) all like mario 2 and that game with kirby in it.

Not to mention warcraft starcraft and diablo2. And when world of warcraft comes out I plan to celebrate by running around town laughing at people who did buy those expensive systems! biggrin.gif
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#12 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Dec 18 2003, 06:10 PM)
It's actually much more than that. That estimate may be old (from when the Xbox costed $300.00). They're losing more than $200 per Xbox sold here in the United States. The strategy with Microsoft is that they will make thier money back from the games and even more so from their new online service.

Oh, I wondered if there was a strategy... smile.gif I was thinking (or at least hoping) that the folks at Microsoft weren't that stupid... hmm.

QUOTE (Jordan)
And when world of warcraft comes out I plan to celebrate by running around town laughing at people who did buy those expensive systems!

Too bad I hate RTSs...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 19 December 2003 - 12:05 PM

Actually, Microsoft will probably take an overall loss on the Xbox. Their main strategy is to branch off into home entertainment/multimedia center stuff. The Xbox will serve as a solid platform with which they can build with Xbox Next. Eventually they will plan to dominate the online gaming market. They already have a much superior online gaming system than the PS2's and the non-existent GameCube's.

Jordan: As far as PC gaming goes, you are assuming that PCs are free. A decent gaming PC will set you back at least $1000.00. The problem with that is that the constant improvements in PC design make top of the line computers degrade in quality quite rapidly. The nice advantage to console gaming is that every game that is released during the lifespan of that console (average of 4-5 years) will work just as well with that console's hardware. Try to get that kind of life out of a gaming PC that costs 3-4 times as much money.

#14 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 19 December 2003 - 01:07 PM

You can't play GranTurismo on anything but the PS2

As for linux, you can get an official kit from sony to run linux on it.. but that costs $ for hardware.

Although I just saw that the Wallace and Gromit videogame is on Game Cube.. wonder if it will be for anything else (i.e. PC or PS2)

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:18 AM

World of Warcraft is a MMORPG. Massively Multiplayer online RPG. Not RTS

CHEF- But the PC is an expenditure I would make anyways. I have never had a cpu that could not perform to my latest game purchase. Of course this is not to say that it will never happen. When it does happen I will no doubt cry.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size