#1 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

Natalie Portman apologises for 'feeling black'
December 13, 2004, 12:06:19
Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman has been forced to apologise after she was branded "insensitive" for apparently saying she knows what it feels like to be black.

The actress sparked controversy when Allure magazine published an interview she had given them, including the quote: "I'm not black, but I know what it feels like."

However, the 'Star Wars' beauty has now written a letter of apology, claiming she didn't mean to cause any offence.
She is quoted by Britain's IMDB website as saying: "I sincerely, and with my deepest regrets for offending any readers, apologise and apologise and apologise. This has hurt me deeply, and I will do my best to be more thoughtful and articulate in the future."

Natalie - who was born in Jerusalem, Israel and speaks fluent Hebrew - also claimed her words were taken out of context.

*IMAGE REMOVED*

This post has been edited by Chefelf: 13 January 2005 - 08:21 AM

"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 12 January 2005 - 02:45 AM

What in god's name are you talking about?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 12 January 2005 - 05:51 AM

I don't understand. What has this got to do with Star Wars, apart from the fact that Natalie Portman plays a Star Wars character? You do realise that an actor is a different person from the character they play, right?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#4 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:48 AM

Definately. Given the fact that there are peoiple who play couragous heroes in one movie, and cowards in another, thinking that the character they're playing is who the actor is, is utter stupid. rolleyes.gif

#5 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:57 AM

Well said, Paladin. Unfortunately, not everyone has your wisdom.

I always thought Natalie was a bit of a twit. A cute twit undeniably, but a twit none the less.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:13 PM

I think it's virtually impossible for a White person to make any comment about black people in America without it being taken out of context. It sounded to me like she was trying to EMPATHIZE with black people, and now people are jumping down her throat. She might as well have said "White Power," for all the dumbasses in the press know. I can't imaginge anything less controversial. It reminds me of the Seinfled episode where Jerry says he likes Asian women and Elaine suggests that might be racist. "If I LIKE the race, how can that be "racist?""

The press are a load of fucking hypocrites, by the way, and celebrities looking to "comment" on "controversy" are by and large idiots. Remember how everyone in the celebrity world was all aflutter about the wonder and social relveance of PHILADELPHIA? 'Nuff said!

Unless I'm missing something: can anyone here tell me why they think Portman's comments are racist? And why she ought to apologize for them? I can be swayed by a good argument.

PS: I guess she's Jewish, so I think she was saying she understands descrimination or some such thing. What is the big deal, bitch?

PPS: Hannibal, I think the picture is inappropriate. If that's user-hosted, maybe you could remove it? I should let you know I've mentioned it to Chef to see what he thinks.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

Civilian- Excellent points all of them. I think her comments were blown out of proportion as well but what I don't understand is how this has anything to do with Star Wars or anything to do with Hannibal's jyhad to prove that Starwars is whatever he thinks it is.

PS: You should ammend your statemnet to read "More inappropriate than the images you usually post"

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

JM: Hannibal's post needn't have anything to do with Star Wars, since it's in the "Movie Theatre" forum. It's about a movie star, so far enough.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

I think the world's gone crazy.

Why is she apologising? Next thing I'll be apologising for hurting the feelings of anyone to whom I'd say - "Look, I know it's terrible, I know what you feel".

Poor girl.

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2005 - 11:14 AM

Uh-oh, after experiencing lots of racism in Japan, I said to my mate I could understand what it must be like for black people dealing with that ~ and I had a fair bit of it. Being pulled over by the police all the time for no reason, having everyone vacate the restuarants we went to because they didn't like the foreigners and even having old men stare at me and my mate as if we were animals in a zoo.

But I'm glad the media didn't catch me making that comment or otherwise I'd have to apologise!

Yes, the world has gone crazy. Too much political correctness can turn into facism.

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

After watching her in Garden State, I could excuse her for just about anything. She did a great job in that movie.

To get on topic that is off topic for this forum, ya, let her be, she's not racist and the comment was not racist.

Black people better watch out. Pretty soon this whole "you can't say anything about black people or else your racist stuff" will grow old and we may start to resent them.

The above was probably racist.

Something that really offended me the other day was when a black guy came into my work and out loud refered to my fat co-worker as 'tiny' and then told us that "there are more than four negros in Vancouver". He then gave us copies of his Black Vancouver Community paper. He then asked for a donation for the paper. I gave it back. First off, why do they need to form a community with it's own paper and then go around selling it to people. Why can't they just shut up and fit in like every body else in Vancouver. Maybe we do have asian papers, I don't know, but they don't go around selling it to other people. I'd like to see how many heads would turn If I made a white paper.

People in Vancouver love that stuff though. My black friend gets more women and ass kissed by men than anyone else I know. I swear, people think they're hip if they know a black person. I think part of the reason is because they're so afriad of offending them, that they go out of their way to be-friend them. At least her in Canada I think that holds true.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 13 January 2005 - 04:15 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#12 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 January 2005 - 04:21 PM

This reminds of a time when a politician used the word "niggardly" - basically meaning stingy - and actually had to apologize the next day because the word offended people in the black community, because of "niggar"dly. It's getting really ridiculous, if there's going to be true equality, we have to stop this bullshit.

#13 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

I've been saying it for years, I'm all for political correctness in moderation. However, my "in moderation" is the equivilant of a good joint every so often, and the present state of political correctness is about the same as a guy taking every single drug that exists between paracetemol and heroin. In one evening. Its mental, its ridiculous, its not even describable anymore...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#14 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Finaly someone explains PC to me in a way that I and my friends at the debate club at school understand. Thanks man I've been wondering how to put moderation into words my stoner friends can understand
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#15 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

Chyld: For when you need a stoner to talk to a stoner tongue.gif

Edit: Screwed up the Smiley

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 17 January 2005 - 09:31 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size