Chefelf.com Night Life: Battle Scene Authenticity in Lord of the Rings - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Battle Scene Authenticity in Lord of the Rings Computer Generated Soliders to Smart

#1 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

Hi All,

Came across this article. It was sent to me by a friend and gives some indication how real the CGI battles are likely to be in Return of the King. It appears that when given the option of fight or flight the armies marching on Mordor chose the later wink.gif

Smart Soldiers
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#2 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 December 2003 - 09:09 AM

Remember the movie "Artificial Intelligence"? Do computer-generated creatures have a right to live too?

#3 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 December 2003 - 12:16 PM

I think if they ran a computer simulation on sw fans thinking for themselves and not being mindless opening day ticketholders that it would hardly make a difference in the weekend's sales

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 December 2003 - 10:48 PM

it was mostly troops on the edge of a battle scene that were "running away"

they would end up fighting facing outward, and if they won, they would see no enemies and charge looking for them, but it looked pretty funny, they were leaving in droves.

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:03 AM

Considering each sequence with in the battle scene lasts no longer than 4 seconds...who gives a flying fuck.

IT would take a slow down and rewind button to comprehend the depth of each shot. Attack of the clones proved this in the actual battle of the clones. So much was going on that I just shut down mentaly and began to grow bored with the whole scene. Also when you take actors out of the picture completely I think you start to murder the whole idea of going to the movies.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2003 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 17 2003, 06:03 AM)
Considering each sequence with in the battle scene lasts no longer than 4 seconds...who gives a flying fuck.

I do! But the post was not about whether the CGI is good or bad, but rather the amusing idea that the programme written appeared to allow enough "free thought" that the generated characters thought better of the fight and ran away. As barend has pointed out this is not hte case, but it is still something funny to see after all the man hours and work put in to write the script biggrin.gif

I totally agree though that replacing actors with CGI is fundamentally a bad thing. However, for wide shot, large scale battles I can see it's benefits. I think I mentioned in a different thread that I would personally like to see Jackson continue his use of real actors in the foreground and main shots and just use CGI to fill in the background.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#7 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 December 2003 - 07:30 PM

Opps, sorry for going of track tongue.gif

Program writers just blow my mind. I find coding to be very difficult (and boring). Programmers who work on writing scripts for movies are true problem solvers. Director comes up to you. " ok we need this shot and this, and this is impossbile right now but we need it, and how about this too" And the poor programmer has to make it happen.

The first movie to use special effects with a CPU was Willow. They did the whole thing as an experiment and it came out great for the time. One movie that never ceases to amaze me is T2, it still looks good.

As for full CG battles. Nope! I just don't enjoy those. I m sure LOTR will pull it off better then SW. I'm more of a braveheart, last samurai battle scene kinda guy.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#8 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:44 AM

T2's special effects are amazing. ohmy.gif
I remember seeing that movie a while ago, and I was amazed at how it looked for an "older" movie. Didn't look old or anything at all...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#9 User is offline   Reader Icon

• More Important than Coal
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Validating
  • Interests:oh, this and that

Posted 18 December 2003 - 03:43 PM

yea, like when Ahnold shoots that guy!!! wub.gif
"Nothing is real, all is permitted"
- Hassan i Sabbah
"There's nothing wrong with anything."
- Philip J.Fry

#10 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2003 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (Reader @ Dec 18 2003, 03:43 PM)
yea, like when Ahnold shoots that guy!!! wub.gif

Or when T1000 (?) chases them in the car.. or goes through the jail bars... wub.gif
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 December 2003 - 08:09 PM

i like when Sarah Conner is doing pull-ups wub.gif

actually... are we all familiar with GRAND THEFT AUTO: VICE CITY?

i reenacted the scene with the mini gun at the window at the showroom you can buy near the airport. it was so much fun (except i actully killed alot of police, army people, and alot of my own hawaian-shirt wearing security people).

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 18 December 2003 - 10:59 PM

The worst thing I can say about that game is that the missions are nowhere near as fun as just runnign around and shooting people. My favoirite experience was being hounded through the mall by police, with five stars, knowing that when I ran outside there was a good chance I'd earn my 6th star and the army would be waiting for me with tanks.

So I ran out, rocket launcher blazing.

There were tanks.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#13 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 18 2003, 08:09 PM)
i reenacted the scene with the mini gun at the window at the showroom you can buy near the airport. it was so much fun (except i actully killed alot of police, army people, and alot of my own hawaian-shirt wearing security people).

That's good. biggrin.gif

I ran after a car screaming (myself) "NEDDY? NEDDY!!!" while holding golf clubs... lol.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:08 AM

Supes I take back what I said. I saw LOTR 2 agains last day, and I really did appreicate all the "smart soldiers" in it. I m not sure which ones were even smart but the battle of helms deep was just awsome.

The soldiers blended with the enviroment so well. The colors and textures were all on cue.

The clone war scene in star wasr (typo intended) was just trash. The whole thing was just so .... BLAH in your face and I dunno, CONFUSING AS HELL.

LOTR did not confuse me in the least bit and the whole battle scene was terrifc.
I m now very excited about Return of the King

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 December 2003 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 25 2003, 10:08 AM)
The clone war scene in star wasr (typo intended) was just trash. The whole thing was just so .... BLAH in your face and I dunno, CONFUSING AS HELL.

I m now very excited about Return of the King

once again, from the aotc audio commentary they marvel on about how the battle scenes were background enhancements that would be some kind of, i can't imagine, "reward?" for the repeat viewer. idiots. getting paid to repeat view at edits would be like hell to me. and then to release it with good concience, next to impossible. well they've obviously sold out. now onto something promising.

at long last will be watching rotk in a few hours. I've loved the prior films, I know how the story ends, and I trust they won't change it to suit their ego.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size