Chefelf.com Night Life: Being yourself - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Being yourself somehow thats become taboo!

#31 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 November 2004 - 05:29 AM

Muriel's wedding didn't so much make ABBA cool, but rather used ABBA to make Muriel look more like a loser. Regardless, it's a good movie. I still hear people saying "You're Terrible, Muriel" every now and then.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 06 November 2004 - 05:29 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#32 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:49 PM

I mostly remember Muriel's Wedding for bringing me my first harsh life lesson in having different aesthetic tastes from other people.

I was about six, I guess, and my little girl friends were always watching movies and TV and saying "She's pretty" and I had no idea on what basis they were making these judgments for some women and not others. So I determined that in the next thing we'd watch I'd be the one to identify someone as attractive. The next thing we watched happened to be Muriel's Wedding and as Muriel came on screen, she seemed to me to be reasonably attractive, so I said "She's pretty." The very next scene was devoted to her friends telling her how ugly she was. I knew I'd blown it so I just shut up until sixth grade when a new female friend asked me what males I considered cute, and, unable to convince her that the answer was "None of them," I named the first hockey player who came into my head.

I'm not good at this sort of thing!

#33 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 November 2004 - 03:34 PM

It is curious what you said about Muriel Wedding, Laura. I think Muries was ok, but she was just showing her teeth too much.

What I found strange, though, is that the film was described as comedy. Apparently Polish sense of what is a comedy is different from an Australian sense. If your best friend is suddenly paralysed, you father divorces your mother and then your mother takes an overdose of pills, what is there to laugh about?

#34 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

I think calling it a comedy is a bit of false advertising. It's not a cultural gap, Madam Corvax. We Australians don't find it particularly funny either. Speaking for myself, I really don't like the film at all.

Okay, as you were.

#35 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 07 November 2004 - 12:07 AM

Its more a drama with comedic aspects. Possibly a dark comedy, if you will. For example, when they go out to dinner and Muriel's Dad's mistress always shows up and he looks surprised. And of course her sisters line that I mentioned before. But I have to say, you saw this when you were six, Laura? I didn't realise it was that old.

Looking it up it was made in 1994, which is older then I thought, but still. I'm surprised it was shown overseas. I didn't think much of our stuff was if it didn't involve crocodiles in the title.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#36 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:37 AM

I thought I would share with you an experience with low-cut jeans...

I was going to college on Sunday as usual, half asleep on the train. Two guys around twenty, I think, sat opposite me and started to laught their pants off. I woke up, followed their amused stares, and saw a girl, sitting with her back towards us, leaning forward and revealing quite a bit of lovely white panties with patterns of strawberries...

O joys of low-cut jeans...

And Australian films are quite popular here... Not only those with crocodiles...

#37 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 08 November 2004 - 10:59 AM

If your looking for a real comedy, I would reccomend either The Castle or The Dish. Both are made by the same group.

#38 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 08 November 2004 - 12:30 PM

1994? I guess I was nine.

Damn. I was too old for that shit.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size