Chefelf.com Night Life: Being yourself - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Being yourself somehow thats become taboo!

#16 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 04 November 2004 - 07:55 AM

Black cargo pants are sooo secksy on young guys trying to look sort of punkish. rolleyes.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#17 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 04 November 2004 - 01:57 PM

I can honestly say that I like clothes. I like to think that I have relatively good fashion sense. For a relatively plain-looking punk type who wears a lot of black, at any rate. Scouring thrift stores for a pair of pants or a shirt is fun to me. I worry about my hair sometimes, I check myself before I leave the house to make sure the bandana that I wear around my arm is straight, my pants aren't riding funny, and things like that. I don't think that makes me any less unique than the next person. I also think that just because I like to dress a certain way, that happens to resemble the way lots of other people dress, that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm not an individual. Individuality isn't something that you can judge by one's appearance, it's a state of mind. If some kid walking down the street in cargo pants and a Slipknot shirt thinks that he's an individual, then he is in his own mind, and that's all that matters to him. How much of an individual are you if you put so much emphasis on other people's individuality?

#18 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

How much of an individual are you if you put so much emphasis on other people's individuality?

I'd say "Not enough information to answer that question." You don't have to be oblivious to others to be a non-conformist.

I like clothes too!

#19 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Nov 3 2004, 02:17 PM)
So I am saving all my beloved narrow-legged high-waisted jeans which make me look like an eighty’s throwback among my mates at the college. I am sure the fashion will come back.

Will come back in spades, actually -- the fashion magazines in the US have been promoting the imminent return of the 80s style high-waisted jean (and all high waisted pants) for the past few seasons. I've seen a few celebrities in the look, but it hasn't really caught on.

Yet.

#20 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:02 PM

Though it's mostly been said by now I'll say it anyway.

Number one: There are a number of large differences between caring what others think and worrying about what others think. Caring about anything is not destrucive at all. Caring is ultimately linked to awareness. Saying that one cares not about something means they choose to remain ignorant on that subject (which is a perfectly legit choice). The act of caring is only positive.
Worrying on the other hand gets one stuck in ruts, is completely pointless and causes cancer (probably).

Number two: Although I sort of agree with you Laura in that we have been subjected to loads of "be yourself" campaigns after our favorite Saturday morning t.v. shows and I am grateful for that, I must point out that the other day I was helping switch clothing lines to the holiday themes at the American Eagle my room mate works at and I noticed an incredible similarity between the advertisement posters there and Communist China's "Cultural Revolution" propaganda posters. Though in most senses I appreciate that this aim for conformity is not being prduced by the government directly it is a result of being home to a good number of gigantic corporations. It's totally logical that a company, for instance American Eagle, would desire to present an image to the public and declare it a "better" image than how you currently appear. American Eagle conformity would get them a hell of a lot of business. My point is, it's a similar situation as Communist China only a more subtle (though not very) approach, and for different reasons (sort of, but I won't get into that).

#21 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:23 PM

But there's a big difference between government mandated "this is how you should be," and the same message from advertisers. The government can punish you if you don't do what they want. Whereas if you don't do what advertisers want (buy their stuff), they lose, not you.

Also: I hate high waisted pants. I admit I wore lose-rise jeans when they were in style (though not with belly shirts), but I can't see myself wearing higher-than-normal-waisted pants. They're just made all wrong. If they fit my waist, they billow around my ass, and if they fit my ass, they pinch my waist.

Looks like I'll be going back to the men's department for my jeans.

This post has been edited by Laura: 04 November 2004 - 03:25 PM

#22 User is offline   WalrusOfPlastic Icon

• Not Greg
  • PipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:22 PM

True. It's way different in some senses. But it isn't none existant. And though I do prefere this mode to that of mandated government such and such it does have subtle brainwashing techiniques to it that really mess with the American masses and that makes me sad.

#23 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Jen @ Nov 4 2004, 02:59 PM)
Will come back in spades, actually -- the fashion magazines in the US have been promoting the imminent return of the 80s style high-waisted jean (and all high waisted pants) for the past few seasons. I've seen a few celebrities in the look, but it hasn't really caught on.

Yet.

Thanks Jen. So I've heard myself, but as you say, it hasn't yet caugh on. Maybe I should start wearing them just to increase their chances???

Also: I hate high waisted pants. I admit I wore lose-rise jeans when they were in style (though not with belly shirts), but I can't see myself wearing higher-than-normal-waisted pants. They're just made all wrong. If they fit my waist, they billow around my ass, and if they fit my ass, they pinch my waist.

Laura, all these things you say about them are true. But the low-waist flared leg variety look awful on me.. thighs like Bologna sausages ...at least, that's what I think.

I guess it is the matter of when your taste was developed - in my case, I was a teenager in the eighties and then bell bottoms were just a big no-no. Just like ABBA.. Abba in mid-eighties was about as uncool as you can imagine.. And now suddenly they are the height of fashion... strange...

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:25 PM

No, ABBA are still uncool. They are only found cool by 10 year old girls, and the people who thought they were cool when they were first around.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#25 User is offline   Dragonspawn Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:linkinpark... im mad for em!<br>Computers.... im comp nerd.<br>Scuba diving... i like going down on girl instructors... ahem, i mean with!

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Nov 4 2004, 09:25 PM)
No, ABBA are still uncool. They are only found cool by 10 year old girls, and the people who thought they were cool when they were first around.

AAAAAAAAAAAGH ABBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the simple mention of abba makes me wanna run away and cover my ears.....

#26 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 05 November 2004 - 09:40 AM

Okay, I was not even a glimmer in my non-ABBA appreciating parents' eyes when ABBA first hit it big, and I think they made amazing music. AMAZING.

And, Madam Corvax, just hold on to those pants. They will come back in! Everything does, in good time. And I say wear 'em if you've got 'em -- once you find a style of jeans you find both flattering and comfortable, you have got to take it and run far and wild.

#27 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2004 - 03:58 PM

Well, I thought ABBA was very much in some years ago. There was this flick Muriel's Wedding which was all the rage among my friends.

I am of two minds concerning ABBA myself, but I do not trust my judgement in these matter any longer, since I found out that I actually like Depeche Mode. Now, that is really uncool, I think, just about as much as my jeans, which I will definitely keep, thanks Jen smile.gif .

#28 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2004 - 04:25 PM

Au contraire! Depeche Mode is very cool. Not my favorite flavor, but I think the cogniscenti gives them the thumbs up -- besides, as is the theme of the thread, cool is what you like!

(Hums "Personal Jesus.")

#29 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 05 November 2004 - 05:08 PM

Personal Jesus, Enjoy the silence, Policy of Truth..etc

Depeche Mode rock the boat!
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#30 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 05 November 2004 - 09:55 PM

Haven't heard much Depeche Mode (supposed to be good, I hear), but it's all about the old-school Micheal Jackson. Y'know, before he turned white and started to mutate into an alien, he actually wrote some damn good songs.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size