Chefelf.com Night Life: Tired Movie Cliches - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Tired Movie Cliches That we shouldn't have to put up with.

#31 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:23 AM

So the disturbing warning wouldn't be for you then. By sensitive people like myself ( sad.gif ) would appreciate such things. Just something simple on the movie posters would suffice -

This movie contains scenes in which innocent women are falsely accused of witchcraft, brutally tortured into making confessions and then burned alive. If seeing this kind of thing disturbs you, then may we advise that this movie is probably not for you.

See? Easy.

#32 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:48 AM

I assumed that was covered in the MA15+ Medium Level Violence sticker
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#33 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 02 November 2004 - 03:09 AM

The problem with those stickers is you don't know what kind of violence you're going to get. I mean, take the idea of Aragorn decapitating orcs left, right and centre. It's violent... but it's not disturbing.

But seeing innocent people undergoing cruel forms of torture is a different story altogether.

To all readers... am I alone in this? Doesn't anyone else out there think that this kind of thing should be mentioned on a warning label?

#34 User is offline   Dragonspawn Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:linkinpark... im mad for em!<br>Computers.... im comp nerd.<br>Scuba diving... i like going down on girl instructors... ahem, i mean with!

Posted 02 November 2004 - 06:09 AM

I never actually thought of that, but you raise a great point, there should be different types of violence listed

#35 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 02 November 2004 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, mate. I'm glad I'm not completely alone on this.

#36 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 02 November 2004 - 10:11 AM

I have noticed that SBS sometimes goes into a bit more detail before a show about what you may find disturbing. For example, before certain episodes of John Safran Vs God was a warning for animal sacrifice.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#37 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:04 AM

I think all this conversation about Female Torture {How the hell did we gett to that topic..... huh.gif } leads to another cliche in movies.

GRATUITOUS & UNECESSARY VIOLENCE

This post has been edited by Mike Mac from NYU: 02 November 2004 - 11:05 AM

#38 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 02 November 2004 - 02:40 PM

I wouldn't want a warning that gave away plot details, MG. If I'm shy about violence, I'll stick to the movies that havce NO warnings, hence NO violence, and when people tell me "you gotta see this" I'll ask them "Is it full of the sort of violence I wouldn't like?" and they'll tell me.

When did we all become so dependent on the ratings boards to tell us whether we scan stomache a movie?

But yeah, back on topic. Cliches:

Know-it-all egghead kids.

Earthshaking inventions that have left no paper trail, no notes, and exactly one prototype.

Chatty, erudite psychopaths.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#39 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 02 November 2004 - 11:21 PM

It always annoys me that the one 'science character' happens to know everything about every disipline of science, regardless of whether or not it has anything to do with their job.

#40 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 November 2004 - 02:02 AM

new rating system eh?
check out new thread...

New rating system....

#41 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:40 AM

1) Character responds to tragedy by dropping to his knees, raising his arms and screaming up to the heavens (and camera): "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
fade to black.

2) Monster movies where swarms of gremlins, spiders, vampires or whatever are unleashed upon the world and yet for the ending EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM are lured to one central location where they can be spectacularly (and conviently) obliterated.

3) After EVERY SINGLE ONE of the monsters du jour is obliterated we get a shot of an egg, or pod, or baby monster du jour waiting around for the sequel just before credits rol. The End?

#42 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 12 November 2004 - 12:56 AM

Any film with that preachy "nature good, humans bad !" theme. God, how I hate that. I just want to eat a big bloody steak after seeing one of those type movies.

Climactic final battles where the hero stabs, shoots, or blows up the villian because the hero's, sidekick, girlfriend or pet hamster who was knocked out earlier in the fight, tosses the hero a much needed weapon which is just out of reach. If the person is such a hero, how come he can't take out the bad guy by himself?

Any movie where a geek is suddenly chic, then becomes geeky again, and at the end everyone realizes what incredible jerks they have been and everyone accepts everyones diffrences and goes out for ice cream.

Movies made from TV shows! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!!

#43 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2004 - 10:53 PM

How about remakes or movies based off something where there's "clever" homages and injokes. Like in X-Men in a scene where Wolverine is angry about the stupid uniforms they wear, and Cyclops says "Would you rather have yellow spandex?" or something like that. The Star Wars prequels have plenty of these as well.

#44 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 November 2004 - 07:50 PM

i hate when a cop has been royally screwed over by someone...

and when he gets the guy that killed his wife or kids, or whatever...
puts a gun in his face... and his partner says..no! do it by the book

leaving one of two things to happen...

1. the bad guy who should die goes to jail and the cop throws away his badge or has to listen to some asshole tell him he did a good job.

2. he does the right thing then the well conected rich evil dude, who could easily spend the night in jail despite the length of sentance, and pull a couple strings and be released the next morning... pulls out a gun giving the cop not only an excuse to kill him, but neccessitating it.

i mean really...?

more so the second one...

because the first one would be setting a good example...
(it's just that i watched DEATH WISH 4 last night on cable)

but the second is just dumb...
( but i let it go in Jackie Chan films ) .

#45 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 14 November 2004 - 08:01 PM

sorry to make that a bit clearer...
in DEATH WISH 4 bronsen kills everyone... and i enjoyed that.
that's right, a lapped it up.

and that's why i attacked the by-the-book-movie-cop.

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size