Chefelf.com Night Life: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Discussion - Chefelf.com Night Life

Tuahan.com Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Discussion Since we obviously have some fans.

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 December 2003 - 07:03 AM

why is sarah michelle gellar a star? She is not that attractive, she can't dance, sing, or even act that well. What is her star quality?

And what is the deal with buffy the vampire slayer? How long can you keep killing the same thing for untill it gets boring? I dislike that show on so many different fronts.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 December 2003 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 19 2003, 07:03 AM)
And what is the deal with buffy the vampire slayer? How long can you keep killing the same thing for untill it gets boring? I dislike that show on so many different fronts.

This reminds me of a teacher I had in high school who once suggested that looking at Playboy was boring because "Once you've seen one naked woman, you've seen them all." I guess he was tyrying to convince young boys not to look at Playboy.

Of course BUFFY is not actually about fighting the same thing over and over again. It's a soap opera with over-the-top fantasy elements. Essentially the stories are about the characters. One season's big finale was actually about whether a character was going to leave the group (and, as it happened, destroy the world as we know it).

But back to the Playboy analogy: to assume that one naked woman is the same as the next is, after all, not to get the point of wanting to look at naked women. And what I say is, if you don't get it, what's the point of criticizing it? Best you stick to what you know.

PS: as to the critique of SMG: she was good for that role. I suspect that outside the show she'll never quite hit the mark. So I sort of agree.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2003 - 03:16 AM

Good points. I guess I dont like the show because sarah is in it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#19 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2003 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Dec 19 2003, 05:39 PM)
This reminds me of a teacher I had in high school who once suggested that looking at Playboy was boring because "Once you've seen one naked woman, you've seen them all." I guess he was tyrying to convince young boys not to look at Playboy.

But back to the Playboy analogy: to assume that one naked woman is the same as the next is, after all, not to get the point of wanting to look at naked women. And what I say is, if you don't get it, what's the point of criticizing it? Best you stick to what you know.

Ha! This has to be one of the best analogies I think I've ever read. Buffy, as seen in the eyes of Playboy. biggrin.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2003 - 10:26 PM

Sex triggers a different reaction then watching TV. Your analogy does not work. "once you've had sex who needs to do it again, it gets boring". And play boy is related naturally. For most people their body and mind craves sex and things of sexual nature.

#21 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2003 - 03:53 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 22 2003, 10:26 PM)
Sex triggers a different reaction then watching TV. Your analogy does not work. "once you've had sex who needs to do it again, it gets boring". And playboy is related naturally. For most people their body and mind craves sex and things of sexual nature.

Sure the analogy works. I was not comparing BUFFY the television show with Playboy the magazine. I was comparing your statement about BUFFY the television show ("And what is the deal with buffy the vampire slayer? How long can you keep killing the same thing for untill it gets boring?") with my old teacher's comment about Playboy (which I paraphrased as "Once you've seen one naked woman, you've seen them all.")

This is not to say that I think sex and tv are similar, or that watching a thing and doing another thing are triggered by common urges. Or even that I said anything of the sort. The comparison is between the statements, which both come from the same place. You don't like BUFFY because you believe that it is an endless series of similar slaying stories; it isn't that at all. It's a soap opera with fantasy elements, and surely that's enough reason to dislike it, if you wish. My teacher believed that the notion behind looking at Playboy was simply to see what naked women looked like, and that once a fellow had satisfied that curiosity, he ought naturally to get bored. And I say (and I think Playboy'a accountants will back me up) that there is something else to the idea of naked images than mere curiosity. So: my teacher didn't get it (or pretended not to get it).

Simply put, my teacher did not appreciate Playboy because my teacher did not appreciate Playboy; you do not appreciate BUFFY because you do not appreciate BUFFY. That's the analogy, and it's 100% balls-on accurate.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#22 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2003 - 04:21 AM

Simply put, my teacher did not appreciate Playboy because my teacher did not appreciate Playboy; you do not appreciate BUFFY because you do not appreciate BUFFY.

Who needs an analogy for that? Analogies are made to help prove a point, to solve a problem, to clairify.

Me not liking something and your teacher not liking something? Ok it's obvious that neither of us understand/appreicate/or like something. Who needs an analogy for that?

I over complicated it I guess because it seemed like the above was too obvious.

Once you've seen one naked woman, you've seen them all

I took the above statement and linked it to what I said

How long can you keep killing the same thing for untill it gets boring

#23 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2003 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 23 2003, 04:21 AM)
Simply put, my teacher did not appreciate Playboy because my teacher did not appreciate Playboy; you do not appreciate BUFFY because you do not appreciate BUFFY.

Who needs an analogy for that? Analogies are made to help prove a point, to solve a problem, to clairify.

Me not liking something and your teacher not liking something? Ok it's obvious that neither of us understand/appreciate/or like something. Who needs an analogy for that?

I over complicated it I guess because it seemed like the above was too obvious.

Once you've seen one naked woman, you've seen them all

I took the above statement and linked it to what I said

How long can you keep killing the same thing for untill it gets boring

What are you talking about?

#24 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 23 December 2003 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 19 2003, 07:03 AM)
why is sarah michelle gellar a star? She is not that attractive

Which Sarah Michelle Gellar are you talking about?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#25 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2003 - 01:26 PM

Chef I was only aware of the one.

Civil Number 2. I confused your analogy with a different one.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked