• (2 Pages)
  • +

Things I don’t understand

#1 User is offline   WhoCares Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

Maybe this was posted before but I am to lazy to look for them:

1. Why Darth Vader didn’t sense the force or anything about Leia in ANH. I mean she is supposed to be strong with the force, isn’t she?

2. If the force runs strong on the Skywalker family, does this mean that Shmi is also strong with it?

3. Where did they get the money to clone all those troopers?

4. Speaking of clone troopers, have anyone thought how silly this is. I mean they have ranks, don’t they. So what if tomorrow a private wants to be a General. He can wake up early and say: “Hey I am General Fett….Gotcha. I am Capitan Fett”. Maybe each of the smaller ranks have a lobotomy.

5. How many Jedis were? How they all were killed in a period of 1-2 years. Did they blow an entire planet when all were in there?

6. And my top 1st. And I will always insist on this one: How in the world, no Jedi, not even Yoda, or the powerful Vincent Vega’s pal, feels anything, not even a small hint that Palpatine is evil.

I have more questions, I will post them later.

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:17 AM

Allow me to answer your questions -

1. Why Darth Vader didn’t sense the force or anything about Leia in ANH. I mean she is supposed to be strong with the force, isn’t she?

Leia's not strong in the force. She's not Luke's sister. That was just a load of crap that Lucas made up at the last minute in Return of the Jedi because he was too lazy to follow through with the introduction of a new character who was the 'other' that Yoda referred to in The Empire Strikes Back.

2. If the force runs strong on the Skywalker family, does this mean that Shmi is also strong with it?

Shmi's not even a character from Star Wars. She's from the prequels and those movies don't count for anything. They're just good for bashing, that's all - entirely designed to give harsh movie critics like ourselves something to grill over the coals for fun.

What troopers? Stormtroopers? They're not clones. Again, pay no heed to those silly prequels.

4. Speaking of clone troopers, have anyone thought how silly this is. I mean they have ranks, don’t they. So what if tomorrow a private wants to be a General. He can wake up early and say: “Hey I am General Fett….Gotcha. I am Capitan Fett”. Maybe each of the smaller ranks have a lobotomy.

Again, prequel territory here. It's quite simple... if something happens in the prequels, it's not part of the story. It's not valid, canon or anything else...

cannon fodder perhaps... but not canon.

5. How many Jedis were? How they all were killed in a period of 1-2 years. Did they blow an entire planet when all were in there?

There were five Jedis. They're names were Jeff, Ted, Obi Wan, Yoda and Porkins. Jeff and Ted were tragically killed in a hit-and-run incident. Investigators later found that the driver of the vehicle was Darth Vader, who had been drinking at the time. However, due to his influence and contacts (especially with the Emperor), no charges were ever laid.

Obi Wan, Yoda and Porkins retired. Obi Wan and Yoda would later train Luke but Porkins discarded the Jedi way of life completely and started a business, selling fried chicken. Unfortunately, the rise of the Empire prevented his little enterprise from ever taking off. With nowhere else to go and inelligible for welfare payments, Porkins joined the rebellion. Tragically, Porkins was killed in the battle of Yavin.

6. And my top 1st. And I will always insist on this one: How in the world, no Jedi, not even Yoda, or the powerful Vincent Vega’s pal, feels anything, not even a small hint that Palpatine is evil.

Again, this is prequel territory. However, within it's confines, there is an explanation. Although obviously, none of these characters are in the original trilogy (although two of their namesakes are).

The reason none of the Jedi realise that Palpatine is evil is because they are...

stupid.

Okay, I hope that clears everything up for you.

#3 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:57 AM

The prequels are there just to suck money of fans that are too stupid and attached to Star Wars to let go. Star Wars doesn't mean anything to me anymore. I think that the old days when a bunch of 20 year old movies were special and people made such a huge deal out of them were far better than what we have today. Today there are only money grubbing moviemakers who just want to throw something together and see how much turnover they get. That's all. Nothing more, and nothing less.

#4 User is offline   Garth Vader Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:08 PM

speaking of the prequels, see when about 50 - 100 of the best jedi in the galaxy turn up to rescue obi wan and anakin on geonosis, notice how they get their asses kicked by a bunch of shitty driods that qui-gon et al seemed to go through easily in episode 1? The jedi, with their legendary status should be able to wipe out anything when together in large numbers. nice one george for ruining another aspect of star wars.

jeez I hate the prequels.

#5 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, the battle scene in the arena was just special effects masturbation... and to make morons in the audience go 'wow'... and waste valuble time that could have been used to create a meaningful plot... and George Lucas couldn't think of any meaningful way to make the Jedi's lose the battle without almost being wiped out completely!

Talk about Jedi being 'powerful'. It's almost like they're just some kind of elite troops than real mystical warriors.

#6 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 24 October 2004 - 05:48 AM

As JYAMG pointed out, most of these questions are irrelevant if you ignore the Prequels. Just a couple of points, however:

2. Just because a trait runs in families, doesn't mean that every member of a family will display it. I have red hair, but neither of my parents do. Some genetic traits are recessive and can disappear for generations before they show up again.

6. The only vaguely sensible explanation I can think of is that those who are strong in the Dark Side can somehow use their power to conceal their true allegiances if they wish. (Of course, when all the Jedi were dead there was no need to do this any longer.) Even if you discount the Prequels, I don't see any other way to explain how the Sith managed to escape destruction by the Jedi for so long. Unless there were many Sith as well, but in that case where did they all go by the time of the OT?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#7 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:57 PM

I decided to write George Lucas and ask him these very questions you have put forth, and low and behold, he wrote me back!

Here are the answers He gave me:

A: Since Anakin has terrible hormone problems and difficulty with women, he was unable to sense anything whatsoever about Leia. (This is why he used a robot in Episode 4 to prod her.)

No, Shmi is just a cosmic sperm dumpster for the Force, she was used and discarded like lint from Boba Fett's dirty underwear. She has no midichlorians at all and is a virgin.

The Jews.

Easy to explain. In a highly advanced mathematical game of "pick a number" they are randomly selected in secret by high powered computer systems to determine who will be a general and who will be a private.

There were of course 6,660 Jedi and once they killed the Jedi Council, and the younglings, the rest of the Jedi committed Jedi-hari-kari, like the trade federation robots in a way--once the council was exterminated, they all lost their will to live and their collective unconscious demanded that they also die.

Because Yoda and Mace Windu were so busy playing checkers, and looking at nude pictures of Anakin in the Jedi shower room, they were distracted completely, but of course, it was all part of the plan. You see Darth Tyrannus is a double agent, who wanted to merely wanted to expose the Jedi to the world, but got tricked by Darth Sideous, and so in the end, the Jedi, the Sith, the Separatists are all pawns of the Emperor.

I have more questions, I will post them later.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 04:26 AM

movie goer said this, but the problem is that Lucas only came up with that later. alas, he wasnt gifted with the mystical power of foresight like the rest of us.

no, Anakin was the first. in classical Greek mythology tradition it was the will of a higher power (the force in this case) that 'created' anakin. yes, hes something special.

all that buisiness with the army is set to be resolved in Sith, so you'll have to wait till then.

well, give different clones different training programmes, and they will turn out differently. "clones can think creativly, you will find that they are vastly superior to droids".

it was actually a period of 10 years, and "all killed"?? im not sure what youre referring to here.

"6. And my top 1st. And I will always insist on this one: How in the world, no Jedi, not even Yoda, or the powerful Vincent Vega’s pal, feels anything, not even a small hint that Palpatine is evil."

"the dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is"

"Blind we were, if creation of this clone army, we could not see"

"I think its time that we inform the senate that our ability to use the force has diminished"

Dooku- "what if I were to tell you that the senate was now under the control of the dark lord of the sith"

Obi- "no, thats impossible, the Jedi would be aware of it"

Dooku- "the darkside of the force has clouded their vision my friend..."

its all there in the films.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 09:36 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Nov 10 2004, 04:26 AM)
its all there in the films.

:angry: that doesn't mean we have to like it.

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:55 PM

If the Sith could diminish the Jedi's ability to use the force than why didnt they just do that in the first place and then it would have just been a matter of PWNing some forceless Jedi.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#11 User is offline   azerty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

When Obi wan said Luke was the last hope, Yoda said no there was another. That means another hope, not another person. And even though the Leia thing was totally lame, it would have been even lamer to have some new superjedi show up in the last real of the last movie and sort everything out.

On a different subject, word around the campfire after Empire came out was that Lando pushed the melt button on the carbonite so Solo would free himself somehow before he was delivered to Jabba. This would also leave no doubt that Lando was a good guy, and make Lando a little more key to the plot. This was all based on Lando turning that dial on the carbonite, and then stating the obvious "AND in perfect hibernation..." heh heh heh. Solo wakes up in the back of Fett's ship, clocks Fett, steals his gear, and then.. who knew?

#12 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 11 November 2004 - 04:25 AM

That's an interesting thought, actually.

Although I disagree about not having a new character for the other. Remember it was a series back then, not THE TRILOGY... and it the universe was expanding and getting more interesting...

then Return of the Jedi came and packed it all up in a neat little package, ending it right there and then.

#13 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2004 - 07:04 AM

On a different subject, word around the campfire after Empire came out was that Lando pushed the melt button on the carbonite so Solo would free himself somehow before he was delivered to Jabba. This would also leave no doubt that Lando was a good guy, and make Lando a little more key to the plot. This was all based on Lando turning that dial on the carbonite, and then stating the obvious "AND in perfect hibernation..." heh heh heh. Solo wakes up in the back of Fett's ship, clocks Fett, steals his gear, and then.. who knew?

This would have been great! No stupidest rescue attempt in the history of cinema any more. Solo could show up later in Fett gear and turn the tables in some dramatic fashion. Would also give the smuggler a chance to have a hell of a showdown with his own nemesis in the claustrophobic compartments of Slave One. This is probably the best idea I've heard on the subject of improving RotJ smile.gif

This post has been edited by HK 47: 11 November 2004 - 07:13 AM

#14 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2004 - 11:26 AM

i dont know, id hate to lose that barge sequence. apart from some stupid bits, thats honeslty one of the most exicting sequences in the whole thing. you didnt even like the sarlacc??

#15 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2004 - 02:13 PM

i dont know, id hate to lose that barge sequence. apart from some stupid bits, thats honeslty one of the most exicting sequences in the whole thing. you didnt even like the sarlacc??

What I mean by stupid rescue attempt has little to do with the sail barge and the Sarlacc sequence alone. They're decent enough, except for the Fett burp joke which I hate. But sending one protagonist in after another to "infiltrate" Jabbas palace the way they did makes little sense.

I just find the possibilities of a confrontation between Solo and Fett on Slave One very interesting. Especially if it would mean deleting the muppet musical in Jabbas palace smile.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size