Chefelf.com Night Life: RotJ: good or bad? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

RotJ: good or bad? The ultimate question...

Poll: Return of the Jedi: good or bad?

Return of the Jedi: good or bad?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:27 AM

Myself, I have mixed feelings. It's my least favourite of the OT, but I certainly don't feel as strongly about it as certain other people here wink.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#2 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:46 AM

I agree, feelings are mixed. I feel it contains both some of the more powerful scenes and some of the dumbest moments as well. Ultimately I don't think it ruins things the way the prequels do, though it could have stood to have been better.

Interesting note from "Empire of Dreams", the PBS documentary that is included on the SE DVDs: Lucas's initial choice of directors was Spielberg but he couldn't use Spielberg because of his (Lucas's, that is) dropping out of the Director's Guild. This is what left him with the realitvely inexperienced Marquand.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:50 AM

I went with bad. I'm going to say something quite harsh about the movie now.

On its own merits, obviously it is a far superior film to the prequels - it is not in the same league of shittiness.

However...

That said, I feel that the damage it did to Star Wars was worse because it is the final chapter of the story.

We don't need the prequels to appreciate the story. At the end of the day, they're just something extra for the fans... and we can shut them out and ignore them (although it's fun to pick on them).

However, Return of the Jedi gives us a really lame, cheesy ending to what should have been the most spectactular film trilogy of all time. This is nigh unforgiveable... in my humble opinion of course.

#4 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:33 AM

I'd place ROTJ on the same level as Quest for Glory 5... both were finale's, but not the best of finale's. I believe that we shouldn't be too hard on the ROTJ. It isn't what the movie was that made it bad, it was what the movie COULD have been that made it bad. I know that having the old Death Star and Ewoks did it harm, but you must remember that it was still far better than the prequels and it did have the potential of being a great movie -- just like Quest for Glory 5 had the potential of being a great game. (Although as a stand alone, it was actually quite fine.)

I know you probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I decided to give in my two cents anyway.

#5 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:34 PM

I wouldn't say this is the ultimate question. Hell, it isn't even the penultimate question. It's an interesting side question. Perhaps it's an appetizer to whet your appetite for the penultimate question.

All this meaning it really doesn't matter whether or not you like ROTJ. I've come to realize that it's just a plus for me. Hell, it's a plus for Jariten that he likes the prequels. That's a bunch of 2 hour blocks of my life that I've enjoyed the hell out of, just as Jariten has a bunch of 4 hour blocks of his life he's enjoyed the hell out of. Same with me with Matrix Revolutions. Everyone hated it, I loved it, so who wins? The people who paid 8 dollars to sit through something they hated, or me? Obviously I win.

That said, I do think that overall ROTJ is a good movie, a very good movie, a great movie (at least since the last time I've watched it). If you don't, and it hurts your enjoyment of the trilogy as a whole, then, in the Emperor's words, so be it. I love it, and I love that I love it. Sue me.

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:06 PM

I chose option 3.

It IS a little of both. Poking fun at the bad parts makes me feel good. unsure.gif

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:05 AM

I'd just like to say to Vwing that you're right, mate (not about it being a good movie though!)...

you're right in that you've won here.

And I'm happy for you. You've got a conclusion to the saga that you're happy with.
I don't... however, when I was young enough to get irritated by muppets, ewoks and excessive slapstick comedy, I was happy with it too.

And even though I do think it sucks now, we still got a great lightsabre fight out of it as well as a brilliantly choreographed space battle... so it wasn't all bad.

However I chose "bad" because what I listed above, while very good, only made up about a third of the movie - if that.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:01 AM

And us wishy-washy fence-sitters seem to be easily winning out. Funny, I thought there'd be considerably more people voting for 'bad'...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#9 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:04 AM

Me too. sad.gif

#10 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:11 AM

Maybe Civ and Xombie haven't seen it yet.

#11 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:17 AM

Here's hoping.

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:32 AM

Bad.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#13 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Thanks mate. I knew I could count on you.

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:33 PM

I said Bad.

In the past 2 years I've watched a lot of movies. And now that I work at a Video Store, I've seen even more (shit load more).

I've come to the conclusion that the best movies are the ones that have less CG, muppets, and musical score.

That is everything that SW is about.

I like ANH because - It's grimy and low budget. Solo made me laugh when he was talking on the intercom, pretending to be a StormTrooper.

The Story was boring and the action scenes, barring the last DS attack, were VERY BORING.

I like ESB because - The opening scene was action packed, the AT-AT's still rock my world. I liked the story. All the action scenes felt more intense.

ESB is the most solid of the 3. The only part I did not like was Yoda on daggobah. He had nothing interesting to say and slowed down the movie.

I like ROTJ because - It had a strong start. Jabba's palace was fun for me to watch for the first time. The final light sabre battle was good.

Much like ANH, ROTJ was boring. The ewoks were lame. The DS was lame, for the second time. And I don't even remember what happens exactly in between the Jabba's death and the introduction of the Ewoks.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 21 October 2004 - 07:34 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#15 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 21 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

A question for civilian.

You once said that the Vader of SW could never turn into the Vader of ROTJ. And then you said the Anakin of the OT in no way resembles any Vader from the OT.

You mentioned that a calculating sociapath who kills his own men does not become redeemed in the fashion of ROTJ. I think... I can't recall and I forgot what thread it was.

What did you mean by the Vaders contradict each other? And why can't a kind kid like jake lloyd turn evil?

I think you said "highly improbable" or something like that. SUre anyone can turn evil.

I thought it was interesting what you said, but never fully understood it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size