• (3 Pages)
  • +

What's up? My third topic!

#16 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:51 AM

The C's are fine as long as I don't swing by one day and they turn out to be little golden M's.

#17 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:52 AM

Jolly Ranchers are little square sweets, buggered if I know what chiclets are...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#18 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Chiclets are a kind of gum -- each chiclet is a white (traditional version) or brightly-coloured (newfangled version) little rectangle a centimeter or so per side. They are yummy but lose flavor and become rubbery within miliseconds of chewing. I am actually surprised that they aren't a global brand, they were a ubiquitous part of my childhood ...

#19 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 22 October 2004 - 12:16 PM

I was torn between sucking the candy off the shell or just biting right away. I'd usually do two and go both ways. The fruit flavors were my favorite (and very colorful.) Tini-chiclets were like 3/32s of an inch square. Roughly the size of the old blue squares.

Some Lions Club gumball machines (et al) have chickle gum which is basically the same.

"rubbery." tongue.gif good descrip', Jen.

anybody remember Razzles?

#20 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 22 October 2004 - 02:36 PM

*is scared by the American confectionary*

Less Is More v4

#21 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

La la, I didn't post a response to something on the last page not realizing there was another whole page of posts, nosirree.

This post has been edited by Laura: 22 October 2004 - 03:31 PM

#22 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:39 PM

Ok, if we're going to get into weird other-country-isms, let me just say that Vegemite is the most revolting substance I've ever ingested; i buttered up a slice of bread with some that an Australian associate had brought around & took a bite.

After that, the corn syrup factory I had to drive by every day for 2 months seemed sweet by comparison.

PS: Razzles? Were those those chalky almost-gum candy things with raspberry bumps on one side? Like thick coins, not at all like hard-candy, that you got in loose paper packets of like, 4-6 around halloween? If so (I remember them as Razzle Dazzles, or maybe I don't), they Rocked.

#23 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2004 - 02:09 AM

I hate vegemite as well. Though I'm told the secret is to only put a small amount on, I still think its disgusting.

I find it odd that those of you in other contries are subjected to the worst aspect of Australian culture, namely Vegemite, Fosters and Steve Irwin.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#24 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 23 October 2004 - 10:47 AM

Assuming vegamite=marmite, it is revolting. And its funny using it as a weapon against the people who don't like it...

Less Is More v4

#25 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:09 AM

I'm not sure what marmite is, but I beleive vegemite is similar to promite, if that helps. Its just a basic black yeast extract.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#26 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:15 AM

Just read this... you hate Vegemite, Sime? You traitor! How dare you call yourself an Aussie?

Me... I love Vegemite and had Vegemite toast for lunch ALL THE TIME.

However, you're right about Fosters and Steve Irwen.

As for the rest of you who don't like Vegemite, I just think there's something wrong with you. That's all.

.... either that or your eating it on bread instead of toast.

There is only one way to eat Vegemite: spread over fresh, hot, buttered toast.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm......... I miss that stuff so much.

#27 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:20 AM

Surprisingly enough, I know a lot of people who don't like it. It's not that uncommon. Its one of those things that you either love or hate, and unfortunatly I'm the latter.

#28 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

Very well. We shall meet in the main street at noon and settle this the good old-fashioned way. Only one pistol each.

#29 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 23 October 2004 - 11:39 AM

I did some research at http://www.toxiccustard.com/australia/ and came up with this:

Q: Does anyone really enjoy eating Vegemite? Do you all eat it as some form of self-abuse?
A: Vegemite is a black gooey substance made from malt extract. It was invented in the 1920s by someone trying to think of something to do with all the leftovers from making the truly vast quantities of beer that Australians consume.
Nowadays, Vegemite is used as a test to see how much visiting tourists will stand in their quest to immerse themselves in the local culture. If a tourist can get through a slice of toast with the Vegemite caked on top, all the Australians in the room will applaud and give that person all their money. Of course, this has never actually happened.

Australians do eat Vegemite. And although the tourism promotion people will be after me for this, I will reveal the secret of proper Vegemite consumption: we eat it in very, very, very, very, very small doses. The gram ratio of Vegemite to other food being consumed should be in the order of one to several billion. It should be barely noticeable. When consumed properly, one jar of Vegemite can last several generations.

Q: Is Marmite available in Australia? I've been told it is, but no one can tell me a shop in Sydney in which it is sold. I have to rely on (unreliable) friends importing it from the UK and recently (horror) - Vegemite
A: Marmite most certainly is available in Australia. I know this to be true, because I went on a fact-finding mission to the local supermarket. (I also needed some groceries). Nestled among the various spreads, dominated by lots and lots of Vegemite (and clones) jars of various sizes, were some jars of Marmite. A local brand, but certainly Marmite.
My research didn't go as far as actually buying a jar (what, are you crazy? That's just poor Poms' Vegemite!) or noting the price, but it was definitely there. While undeniably, my local supermarket is not in Sydney, this should tell you that at the very least, some supermarkets carry it.

Coles Online also have it in stock (250 gram jar for $2.46 - though I'd love to know how they work that out to be $1.97 per 100 grams). Woolworths HomeShop has it for $2.45.

The catch? My spies tell me it tastes different to British Marmite. D'oh!

So if you're fussy and have to have the original British brand, that may be a bit trickier. You can generally find a range of imported foods at boutique grocery departments of major department stores (David Jones Foodhall for example). It may be worth trying the local version first, to at least try and avoid the premium price the imported ones invariably attract.

#30 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity

Posted 23 October 2004 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Oct 23 2004, 05:39 PM)
The catch? My spies tell me it tastes different to British Marmite. D'oh!

Meh, close enough. Either could power my car, if I put it in. Or had a car.

Less Is More v4

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size