Chefelf.com Night Life: Reasons to hate the OT - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Reasons to hate the OT I dare speak my heresy.

#31 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Xombie @ Oct 22 2004, 06:29 AM)
9) Princess Leia is one of the worst written roles for an actress ever. Poor Leia is forced to watch her home planet, the planet she is the princess of, the planet on which her friends and family live, blown to pieces before her very eyes, all in an effort to get her to talk. And yet, the next time we see her, less than 24 hours later, her first words are (sarcastically) "Aren't you a little short to be a stormtrooper?" Wow, that's a record for speed-mourning. And get this: Leia never mentions her blown-up planet to anyone, at any time in the series. She's smiling at the awards ceremony which can't be more than 48 hours after her fucking planet has been vaporized! She's even happy to see one of the architects of the genocide get into Jedi heaven. What a tee-total stone-cold fucking bitch. And you guys think Amidala is creepy?

I have to blush of shame here. I have never thought about it. And come to think of it, yes you are absolutely right. I am so ashamed of herself I cannot even defend Leia here. Help me fellow posters, you are my only hope.

#32 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:38 AM

I would but we've over-analysed everything so much here that it's hard to care... besides, Xombie is right, I think.

I've always known that Star Wars didn't treat death as seriously as it should. I guess it's just something we all chose to ignore because it was an enjoyable film.

But Leia's not alone.

Check out Luke and Han, giddy as school boys, as they're blasting Tie Fighters just after Obi Wan died. That was speed mourning for you.

Ah well, I think most of us have fallen off Star Wars anyway, haven't we?

#33 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:46 AM

It's a movie. Any movie can be picked apart for little inconsistencies and problems. The fact of the matter is wheter the movie has enough positive points to counteract the negative. Star Wars: ANH does, I believe. TPM... that's another story.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#34 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:51 AM

That's a good point.

#35 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

8) There is no sex in Star Wars. I noticed the boxed sets of the OT are on sale now. They've got them in these gold and silver boxes adorned with the poster art from the original release of Star Wars. There's Luke with his tunic open revealing a rippling chest. There's Leia in her princess outfit, except this Princess outfit reveals ACTUAL CLEAVAGE and a slit up the side that allows her to bare a finely toned leg all the way up to the royal thigh. That's what the posters promised. What did the movie deliver? Mark Hamill keeps his shirt on and Carrie Fisher wears an outfit that is only a veil short of being a freakin burka. When Leia ends up in a slave girl outfit in RotJ its about as sexy as 1923 full body swimsuit.
"What do you want, Xombie?" you may be asking. "this is a PG adventure film that appeals to kids."
I want the same steaminess that karen Allen brought to Raiders of the Lost Ark or Racquel Welch brought to Richard Lester's 1973 Three Musketeers. Of course it doesn't help that...

Jesus, Xombie, we get the point - you don't like Star Wars. But honestly, you're really starting to grasp at straws with this one. I know men like to see flesh, but is it impossible for a woman to be sexy unless she runs around in a bikini? Leia is a Galactic Senator, what kind of outfit would you expect her to wear?

I'd be the first to admit that Star Wars has many flaws, but as Chefelf said, most of us find the OT enjoyable enough to let these pass. That's why we don't spend all our time picking the films to pieces in this way (the Prequels, of course, are a different matter). Of course you have a perfect right to your own opinion, but I'm beginning to wonder what on earth you're doing in the 'Star Wars Fan Convention' forum in the first place if you hate the movies so much.

This post has been edited by Helena: 22 October 2004 - 08:21 AM

The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#36 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:52 AM

10) NO ONE mentions Alderran again after Obi Won notes the disturbace in the Force. Any one remember what it was like two days after the twin towers came down. Come on.

Well, technically General Doddona mentions it in an all around way when greeting Leia on Yavin-4. ("When we'd heard... we feared the worst") But he bolsters her role right after that: "(parapharased) In this Death Star readout, provided by Princess Leia..." (as if) Artoo, Han, Luke and Co. had nothing to do with it.

And if R2 had that info so readily examined, why not just blow up the the freaking thing when they were there? Not that I mind of course. The final battle was the coolest part of the film.

Luke WAS mourning Ben when Han called him up for turret gun duty. In the book he had dreamed of that a thousand times so I can understand his rush to joy.

And it was a joyful movie. I'm nitpicking for the point of the thread, not out of a call to duty.

#37 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:23 AM

1. Xombie's right. These movies are flawed.

2. Chefelf's right as well. With the exception of Return of the Jedi (and obviously those awful prequels), there is so much good stuff in these films that we will take the flaws without complaint. They're only minor and they don't really detract anything from the film.

3. Helena's also right though. If Xombie hates Star Wars so much, what the hell is he doing here?

#38 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 22 October 2004 - 04:23 PM

It's a movie. Any movie can be picked apart for little inconsistencies and problems. The fact of the matter is wheter the movie has enough positive points to counteract the negative. Star Wars: ANH does, I believe. TPM... that's another story.

Very good point. The WarLord is one of my favorite movies of all time. With Charleston Heston and Richard Blume.

The over acting, poor effects, etc.. are all negatated by the kick ass fight scenes and good story line.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#39 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:35 AM

What am I doing here? Well, I thought I was here because I agreed with nearly all of Chef elf's complaints about the PT. Like all of you (excepting Jariten) I believe the PT movies are bad. Like Jariten (but unlike the rest of you) I believe the quality of the PT is not that much different from the OT. I was under the impression that not liking the PT was what this forum was all about.

By the way, I don't "hate" Star Wars. I think it has some great special effects, fantastic set design, and an enjoyable if overly bombastic film score. It is, for the most part, enjoyable. It certainly doesn't suck like, say, Armegeddon or Pearl Harbor. But it is, in the end, a cultural trifle. If you recognize it as such and enjoy it as such, you get no argument from me. I like Jackie Chan films and Hammer Studios dinosaur movies but I would never defend either as great cinema.

I have argued the flaws of Star Wars for some time now because I am constantly running into people who insist it is one of the greatest movies ever made. They sometimes rank it higher than the Godfather. I've never met anyone who thought Pearl Harbor was a better film than the Godfather. So I've never felt the need to hone my anti-Michael Bey argument. The AFI actually ranked Star Wars as something like the 24th greatest film of all time. This is the stupidity I argue with.

Further, I do indeed hate George Lucas, but not because he has Greedo shooting at any particular time. I hate him because he's a racist pompous union-busting snob in love with the concept of the ubermensch. I hate RotJ only because its central theme is so morally repellant it makes me want to vomit.

But hatred is a relative thing. I hate him on the same level that I hate baseball commissioner Bud Selig. Not like I hate Osama bin Laden or George W. Bush.

But I am not a troll. I admit each film, even in the PT, has its moments (if only on a technical level). And I say that ESB is a good (but not a great) film.

Hope that clarifies things.

#40 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 30 October 2004 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE (Xombie @ Oct 23 2004, 12:35 AM)
Further, I do indeed hate George Lucas, but not because he has Greedo shooting at any particular time. I hate him because he's a racist pompous union-busting snob in love with the concept of the ubermensch. I hate RotJ only because its central theme is so morally repellant it makes me want to vomit.

How right you are. This is definitely not a bullshit post, he is definitely not a troll.

I agree with every one of Xombie's points. And I would take it further. What gets me more than the "master race" theories of George W. Lucas of midichlorian sperm counts and the "special people" is the unbelievable contempt for the very sources he STOLE Star Wars from. You see the argument for outright plagiarism is a powerful and undeniable one, once you look at the facts(and accept them I might add). Soon enough I will get to a post on as much information as you can stand.

Lucas doesn't "barrow" or homage to Kurosawa he outright steals, and what he steals is a mockery, a sick and infantile parody of sorts, completely missing the very meaning and ideas Kurosawa intended for the scenes, plots and characters which Lucas admits he took.

But, returning to the subject of the Fascist tenedencies of Herr Lucas, the troublesome question of good vs. evil: nowhere can you truly tell just WHY the rebels are the good guys. The Rebels kill as many people as the Evil Empire, and though the Evil Empire is revealed to torture people, you are merely TOLD that the rebels are the good guys. What are they fighting for exactly? Its vague. Vague enough to be nothing but a propaganda film. Where in the films are the high moral principles of the Jedi or the good guys or rebels actually carried out? What instance of "goodness" in contrast with "bad" or evil is displayed on screen? In other words, when does Holy St.Ben Kenobi or St.Yoda or even St.Luke perform miracle in the name of good? No, I mean, what moral decency is exhibited from them? They talk a lot of mystical crap about forces and luminous bodies and evil and dark sides...but where is it implied that they in fact DO GOOD in the universe?
Obiwan says, "they are guardians of peace and justice" in the world. Why? How? The Knights Templar claimed the same thing just before the Crusades, and then they mass murdered people all over southern europe and the middle east during the Holy Wars, later to develop a sob story when the Church decided to put an end to the Holy Wars and (to the dismay of moral people everywhere, christian or not, right or wrong...)the Church had the mystical crusaders hunted down and killed because they were out of control, or at the very least making the church look bad. The point here is, these mystical knights of the realm talked a lot of sh*t about heroics and good vs. evil and the dark side, and went out and committed genocide. The Grand Army of the Catholic Church went berserk and though they were eventually stopped, we can all look back and see--there were no moral principles exhibited by these folks at all!

Lucas would have us believe, like Heinrich Himmler, that this mystical cabal, the JEDI, working very obviously hand in hand with the government, was some kind of golden age...and from the principles and rediculous beliefs of the JEDI (or the Sith)(or the knigts templar) we can redeem antichrist-figure dictators like Darth Vader and bring peace to the world. Excuse me...but is he out of his freakin mind? The last thing we need is the return of even the philosophies or metalities of the Knights Templar...we have crusades going on at this moment that are tearing the world a new a**hole. Mysticism and high minded ideals do not serve as macho substitutes for true goodness. And I ask again, what instance in Star Wars show any "good guy" doing some good thing? We see Darth Vader (implied)torture his daughter, kill many people by choking them, blowing up entire planets, killing sand people and their kids, and all kinds of homicidal psychotic stuff...and we are to believe that after all this he's "really good deep down" he just needs to find himself is all...uhhh...noooo...he needs life imprisonment, the death penalty or the worst hell we can find to put him in. Regardless, however, where are the supposed good and kind and decent things that Luke and the Rebels and the Jedi do to contrast them with this evil of the empire and Jabba(who gets strangled by the good and decent St.Leia)?

Its blurring of morality and mysticism, this kind of thing has been done before, as I said...by the THIRD RIECH.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#41 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2004 - 03:58 PM

Hannibal...
Acts of good: The rebels are fighting a galactic empire dictatorship that seeks to dominate the galaxy through terror and genocide and install a democracy. Is that good enough? If not, please give me an example of "true goodness" as opposed to "high minded ideals".

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that Star Wars is a nazi/fascist evil racist culture. Not to mention the fact that you think that it would be bad if the Knight Templars returned. Are you actually serious? Tolerance, understanding, benevolence and non-aggression is the message in Star Wars. True, George does give us naive and childish answers, and his grasp of conveying emotion is horrible, but it is a classic fairy-tale. If you would say this about Star Wars, I doubt you would find any heroic fantasy to your liking. Do you?

#42 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (HK 47 @ Oct 30 2004, 03:58 PM)
Hannibal...
Acts of good: The rebels are fighting a galactic empire dictatorship that seeks to dominate the galaxy through terror and genocide and install a democracy. Is that good enough? If not, please give me an example of "true goodness" as opposed to "high minded ideals".

I can't believe you're seriously arguing that Star Wars is a nazi/fascist evil racist culture. Not to mention the fact that you think that it would be bad if the Knight Templars returned. Are you actually serious? Tolerance, understanding, benevolence and non-aggression is the message in Star Wars. True, George does give us naive and childish answers, and his grasp of conveying emotion is horrible, but it is a classic fairy-tale. If you would say this about Star Wars, I doubt you would find any heroic fantasy to your liking. Do you?

How would the Star Wars universe be different if the rebels were in charge and what makes them moral? How is it exhibted in the movie I ask again?

The Knights Templar? You are on the side of people who promulgated and fought the Crusades and Holy Wars and committed genocide in the name of religion?

I guess George Lucas' plan worked after all.

I still wait for example of what is suggested as the contrast between good and evil in Star Wars, there won't be because its all political vaguery.

In Star Wars you suggest that tolerance, nonagression and benevolence are the message, yet the rebels blow up 2 death stars full of human beings, desk clerks, data repair technicians and guys whose job is to stand there holding hoses with dry ice vapor pouring out of them. They all died. That's non-aggression? YAHOOO! Tie fighters destroyed boys!Rack one up for our side! Tolerance>? "Filthy jawas, pathetic life forms, and walking carpets" our heroes get a little uppity don't they about these other races they live with, don't they? And our favorite word, BENEVOLENCE...a vague word indeed loved by politicians, and scaley and slithery religious people who like to form secret societies and claim they are society's best friend. We all know about these religious politicians and their checks to tax deductable charioty organizations. Benevolence must be seen in true action, and in Star Wars the benevolence of the Jedi is implied but not seen.

In the meantime read this fun article about Heinrich Himmler:

The Castle of Wewelsberg

Fascinated by tales of King Arthur and his knights, Himmler's "Camelot" for his own knightly Order was the castle of Wewelsberg near Paderborn in Westphalia. Having acquired it in 1934, Himmler had massive reconstruction work done (paid for by his company "The Society for the Protection and Maintenance of German Cultural Monuments") - the labour came, of course, from the concentration camps.

The focal point of the castle was a huge round oak table with seating for his twelve of his senior Gruppenführers:

"They sat in high-backed chairs made out of pigskin, on each of which was a silver disk on which the selected 'knight' had his name engraved. Here the chiefs of the SS were compelled to sit in the company of their Grand Master [Himmler] for hours of contemplation and meditation ... Each 'knight' had his own quarters in the castle..."[Graber]

Beneath this room was a crypt containing pedestals where should one of the "knights" die an urn containing his ashes [Graber] or his coat of arms [Padfield] would be burnt. Vents in the ceiling would allow those in the main hall to see the smoke rise or "the spirit ascend into a type of Valhalla". [Graber]

Himmler's own private rooms in the castle were dedicated to the tenth-century Saxon King Heinrich the first (also known as Henry the Fowler) decked out in period fashion. According to Himmler's masseur, Himmler believed he was the reincarnation of the king, although Padfield notes that this sits uneasily with Himmler's ideas of life after death (by physical transmission of blood in the clan). Himmler shared his Christian name with the king, and may have felt he was an honorary member of a royal clan. His father had been tutor to Prince Heinrich of Bavaria, and the young Himmler was not only named for him but was the Prince's godson.[Padfield] Whatever the case, at midnight each July 2nd (the anniversary of the Saxon king's death) he would apparently commune in silence with King Heinrich. [Graber]

The SS was modeled on the Teutonic Knights, an offshoot of the Knights Templar who were thought to have custody of the Holy Grail (as well as the ancient Indian warrior caste of the Kshatriya). Therefore SS teams were sent in search of the Grail, as well as the Ark of the Covenant. At first it would seem a little strange that a man who had renounced Christianity and oversaw the systematic murder of millions of Jews should be interested in such relics but the theory was that Jesus was Aryan and his father a Roman. The Grail that held his blood could therefore add to SS research into Aryan bloodlines. Himmler also wanted the spear that wounded Christ on the cross - the Spear of Longinus - which Hitler nabbed from a Vienna museum following the annexation of Austria in 1938. Hitler, a fan of Wagner's Parsifal in which the Spear appears, insisted on keeping it for himself - the story that Hitler's copy of the opera had notes in it showing Hitler to be a skilled magician planning an evil ritual with the spear is not one I give any credence to! The spear in question is medieval anyway. [Dyson, Carroll, Rainey]

A speech Himmler made to senior SS men in 1942 reveals his attitude towards Christianity:

"This Christendom, this greatest pestilence which could have befallen us in history, which has weakened us for every conflict, we must finish with."[Padfield]

SS families received a "Yule-tide candleholder" copied from "an old specimen handed down from the early past of our Volk" instead of Christian Christmas gifts. In 1937 Himmler's personal staff began to plan a cultural framework designed to replace Christianity, a project that led to the opening of the Deutschrechtliche Institute at the University of Bonn the following year which researched into Germanic pre-history. Himmler also set himself to constantly improve the solstice celebrations that he felt had the deepest significance, and designed special SS wedding ceremonies. [Padfield]

It has been claimed (most speculatively) that Albrecht Haushofer (son of Karl, the geopolitician) who Hess knew from university had been a student of Gurdijeff and had set up the Vril Society (a lodge claiming contact with Shambhala, the Tibetan otherworld) and that Hitler and Himmler were members.

Himmler did know Haushofer (who knowingly or not seems to have been one of Himmler's spies in the resistance[Padfield]) but I seriously doubt that the Vril Society really existed. That said, Himmler did send SS research teams to Tibet, and Russian troops entering Berlin in 1945 found Tibetans who had committed ritual suicide wearing SS uniforms. [Dyson, Carroll] What it all adds up to is anyone's guess.

Many amongst the Nazi leadership found Himmler rather a figure of fun and would often take the mickey out of him and his mystification of the SS (only behind this very dangerous man's back, though!). Architect, construction supremo, and armaments minister Albert Speer reports Hitler as saying of Himmler:

"What nonsense! Here we have a last reached an age that has left all mysticism behind it, and now he wants to start all over again. We might just as well have stayed with the church ... To think that I may some day be turned into an SS saint! I would turn over in my grave..."[Speer]

Himmler's intense interest in Germanic paganism is illustrated well by a letter that he wrote to the head of the Ahnernebe (a historical and cultural research unit that Himmler had incorporated into the SS). He believed the ancient Germans enacted legal ordinances and marriages upon ancient stones at burial places of the clan (Sippe), and had come across the following custom that he claimed had survived up to 1930:

"If there was a girl in a village who had reached marriageable age and not found a man, the father went out on a moon-dark night, that is at new moon, with the girl and the villagers. The girl was placed on the dolmen or ancestral burial, the villagers stood in a wide circle around this stone, face outward. The father had spoken beforehand with a villager, thus with one of the blood-community. This man took himself from the ring to the ancestral burial and coupled with the girl. The love and sexual act took place on the ancestral burial ... What was done was no casual act, but took place in the sight of the ancestors and on the grave of the ancestors."[Padfield]

He goes on to suggest lines of research for after the war. That he still took time for such matters in August 1944 - with the Eastern Front collapsing, SS squads abusing and killing "partisans" and Germans who dared retreat, with the killing factories working overtime, and himself rooting out disloyal or troublesome factors in Germany (this was just after the bomb attack on Hitler) - says a lot about the man and his beliefs.

His own views about immortality owe something to Hinduism as well as Germanic beliefs in rebirth in the Sippe via the transmission of the bloodline - not at all incongruous since both beliefs are linked via the spread of Indo-European, or "Aryan", culture (the word comes from the Sanskrit Aryas - meaning "noble" or "freeman" - and Swastika is Sanskrit also). [Berresford Ellis] Speaking, in 1937, of the idea of rebirth in the Sippe, Himmler said:

"A Volk that has this belief in rebirth and that honours its ancestors, and in so doing honours itself, always has children, and this Volk has eternal life." [Padfield]

He even ordered 20,000 copies of Karl Eckhart's Earthly Immortality: German belief in reincarnation in the Sippe for the SS.

This belief, as well as that of the SS being the noble warrior caste of the Third Reich, is reflected in his instructions for a great triptych for the entrance hall of Wewelsberg Castle - the symbolic seat of SS power. Of the first painting he wanted a depiction of "the attack of an SS troop in war, in which I envisage the representation of a dead or mortally wounded SS man, who is married, to show that from death itself and despite it new life springs". The next panel would show SS men tilling the newly won land, and the final panel would show a new village full of families with many children. [Padfield]

This idea is also reflected in the rather macabre "death's head" insignia adopted by SS killing squads - death and killing were necessary and noble as they kept the folk community pure and vibrant. Himmler could use this same idea to purge whole families such as the von Stauffenbergs (the family of the July 20th 1944 bomber). Witness a speech Himmler made to district leaders:

"You only need to look up the Germanic Sagas. If they proscribed a family and outlawed them, or if there was a blood feud in the family, then they were drastically thorough ... they said, 'This man is a traitor, the blood is bad, there is bad blood in them, that will be eradicated'. And in the case of a blood feud it was eradicated down to the last member of the whole Sippe. The family of Graf Stauffenberg will be extinguished to the last member..." [Padfield]

He then mercilessly hunted down the family, even to distant relatives and had them executed or shipped to concentration camps. Similarly, the disabled or mentally ill were killed or sterilised so as not to pass on their "bad blood", and Germans who had intercourse with slave workers, Jews or other "inferiors" were harshly punished. On the other hand, the "elite" SS were rewarded for having children, and had special brothels - the children of which were supported by the state.

The SS and Earth Mysteries

Archaeology in the SS was mainly carried out by the Ahnernebe, whose "cultural research" also included devilish experiments on the inmates of the concentration camps. The idea of landscape alignments linking supposed sacred sites of the ancient Germanic people - that were being dubbed "leys" in Britain - appealed to Himmler, and many of the pioneers in this area were soon working for the Ahnernebe. "They looked for evidence of ancient landscape surveys in order to substantiate Germany's claims as the home of civilisation, and where proof of the primaeval skills of the race was lacking, it could be fabricated." [Harte]

Indeed, so sparse and unimpressive were the finds from some of the pivotal sites in these grand landscape schemes that the evidence had to be manipulated or just plain invented. Hitler was rather embarrassed by Himmler's obsession with the past:

"Why do we call the whole world's attention to the fact that we have no past? It isn't enough that the Romans were erecting great buildings when our forefathers were still living in mud huts; now Himmler is starting to dig up these villages of mud huts and enthusing over every potsherd and stone axe he finds. All we prove by that is that we were still throwing stone hatchets and crouching around open fires when Greece and Rome had already reached the highest stage of culture. We really should do our best to keep quiet about this past. Instead Himmler makes a great fuss about it all. The present-day Romans must be having a laugh at these relegations." [Speer]

The Ahnernebe, following the theories of Wilhelm Teudt, found ancient Germanic "star temples" where sightlines supposedly radiated out towards important positions of sun, moon, and stars. These calendrical centres tended to turn up near SS colleges, and were often just natural rock formations, medieval remains, and in one case an old farm refuse tip![Magin]

The most famous Nazi sacred centre was the Externsteine near Detmold, north-east of Dortmund. Here stand four spectacular columns of rock, one of which has a small chapel cut into it. The window of the chapel admits the rising sun at midsummer.

According to Teudt this was where the sacred pillar of the Saxons, Irminsul, stood until toppled by Charlemagne (it almost certainly didn't), and a carving of a "weeping Irminsul" is supposed to be on one of the pillars of rock. [Schmidt] The Externsteine was at the centre of alignments (never statistically tested by the Nazis) and was supposed to have been a sacred centre before Stonehenge. [Magin] Excavations in the 1930's found only pottery from the seventh century CE, and the majority from the eleventh to fourteenth centuries.[Schmidt] The chapel is actually Christian, not pagan, and probably medieval.[Devereux]

Still, none of this mattered too much in a totalitarian state with "Spin Doctors" better than Tony Blair's, and the Externsteine became a major Nazi cult centre. Even today thousands of pagans come to this Christian site for the summer solstice, and neo-Nazis still gather here on November the first. The two groups are not entirely separate.[Schmidt]

http://www.whitedrag...les/himmler.htm
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

#43 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:16 PM

"His aristocratic concept of leadership aimed at consciously breeding a racially organized order which would combine charismatic authority with bureaucratic discipline. The SS man would represent a new human type - warrior, administrator, 'scholar' and leader, all in one - whose messianic mission was to undertake a vast colonization of the East. This synthetic aristocracy, trained in a semi-closed society and superimposed on the Nazi system as a whole, would demonstrate the value of its blood through 'creative action' and achievement. "

Sounds a bit like the midichlorians-in-your-blood-jedi-kind-of-folk doesn't it?

"It was Himmler's master stroke that he succeeded in indoctrinating the SS with an apocalyptic 'idealism' beyond all guilt and responsibility, which rationalized mass murder as a form of martyrdom and harshness towards oneself. Nowhere was this more apparent than in Himmler's notorious speech on 4 October 1943 to the SS Group Leaders in Poznan.

'One principle must be absolute for the SS man: we must be honest, decent, loyal, and comradely to members of our own blood and to no one else... We Germans, who are the only people in the world who have a decent attitude to animals, will also adopt a decent attitude to these human animals, but it is a crime against our own blood to worry about them and to bring them ideals. I shall speak to you here with all frankness of a very grave matter. Among ourselves it should be mentioned quite frankly, and yet we will never speak of it publicly. I mean the evacuation of the Jews, the extermination of the Jewish people.. . . Most of you know what it means to see a hundred corpses lying together, five hundred, or a thousand. To have stuck it out and at the same time - apart from exceptions caused by human weakness - to have remained decent fellows, that is what has made us hard. This is a page of glory in our history which has never been written and shall never be written.'

Himmler's benevolence towards the Jews and all the pathetic filthy walking carpet lifeforms he ever came across is stunning don't you think?

Something stinks in Star Wars and its not just the bad dialogue.
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

#44 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:26 PM

And the samurai were murderous and merciless. And gangsters are stupid fucks who have no respect for anything, including family or their partners. But this doesn't stop us from watching a Kurosawa picture, or the Godfather pictures. They're called ROMANTICIZATIONS. They're not meant to mirror reality, they simplify whatever worlds they portray or whatever messages they portray into things that if analyzed are shown as ridiculous. We like them because they're GOOD MOVIES. Fascism my ass. The rebels are fighting for a democratic government, hell, even if the prequels they're government is exactly like ours (a point that makes it a BAD movie, but not an EVIL or FASCIST movie).

Sure Star Wars is simple. But the main messages are that good wins out over evil. When the Death Star explodes, it represents evil being destroyed, and though millions of people die, in our minds, they really don't, because it is just a fairy tale, a simple tale of good vs. evil, and the Death Star exploding just means the good guys win. Any story like that if overanalyzed is bound to be considered bad, but the point is IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE OVERANALYZED! That's why they call it OVERanalyzing. So please, just stop this now.

#45 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2004 - 05:26 PM

http://www.fp.ucalga.../strzelczyk.htm

Images of
fascism

By Barbara Balfour

Take a pair of gleaming black leather boots, combine them with a German accent, and throw in an Aryan physique, and what have you got? It’s the ominous image of the most beloved villain of Hollywood entertainment films, says Florentine Strzelczyk (right), a German professor and researcher at the University of Calgary.

Strzelczyk is studying the depiction of fascism and Nazi images in popular North American films.

"I’ve always been interested in film studies per se," says Strzelczyk, who began her research last April. "But for this project I shifted my interest a little bit into looking at how fascism or things Nazi have been represented in contemporary North American films. While there is a lot of research about the Holocaust and how its victims should be represented in film, no comprehensive research has ever been written on its perpetrators."

Images of fascism, whether to depict an outlook or a dress code, are often used by filmmakers to portray obedience and the synchronization of a mass movement made ready to serve one leader.

This fascist decorum and "things Nazi" have turned up in popular films where one would least expect, such as in the uniforms worn in Star Wars and in the B-movie Barb Wire starring Pamela Anderson.

Strzelczyk says she also sees this in movies as diverse as the children’s film Chicken Run, where the barracks holding the chickens prisoner are made to resemble the concentration camp images of Auschwitz.

Ironically, none of the films or TV series Strzelczyk plans to examine actually engage in any form with the Third Reich or the Holocaust as a historical period. "Nevertheless, fascists keep showing up as the bad guys," she says. "And they are always portrayed as upright, blonde, blue-eyed, extremely stylized, and very sexy – as fascinating as they are frightening."

While fascist villains have permeated American films since 1945, Strzelczyk has seen a renewed visual absorption with fascism in pop culture in the last 20 years.

The danger with commodifying Nazis in our image-addicted culture is that it results in historical facts being replaced with fantasy and taken at face value.

"As we move farther away from the Holocaust and the survivors who experienced it first-hand, their immediate experience is gradually dying out," she says. "Something else is replacing it – a more playful flirtation with evil than we have ever experienced before. That is what I am interested in; not necessarily films that are great works of art, but rather those that display a renewed interest with the visual enticements of fascism and evil and portray them as something that looks beautiful."

Strzelczyk plans to compare Nazi era films depicting their visions of the future, with their actual roles in science fiction movies from the present.

"It was always a goal of the Nazis to have their own movie culture that could compete with Hollywood," she says. "As the first media dictatorship ever, Hitler and his men knew how to present themselves; they were known for their elaborate stage productions, whether on film or in front of larger audiences."

In a way they seem to have involuntarily succeeded in conquering the film industry because of their abundance of appearances in it today.

However, even though the portrayal of fascism in film brings suspense and thrill to audiences, Strzelczyk maintains that it also brings along a great deal of ideological baggage that we should never forget.

Barbara Balfour is a fourth-year management student and a writer in the U of C SPARK (Students Promoting Awareness of Research Knowledge) program.
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size