Chefelf.com Night Life: Episode IX - THE LAST RESISTANCE - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Episode IX - THE LAST RESISTANCE

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 October 2004 - 08:43 PM

Subliminal Message, greetings. We have a new beating post! JYAMG, you're now off the hook!

Kidding. Welcome to the boards.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 19 October 2004 - 08:44 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:15 AM

Yes, Madam Corvx, that is Viggo Mortensen. It is from one of his lesser known rolls before his Lord of the Rings fame. The movie is called The Prophecy, and it also has Christopher Walken as the main villan. Vigo has all of 15 minutes in the movie, but it is one of the best portrayals of Lucifer ever put to film. Much of the speach to Movie Goer is taken from one of his speaches in said movie as well.

Thanks, I have to check out this film. Actually most of Viggo's appearances before LOTR are like 15 minutes and those who aren't were not quite in blockbusters. I wonder what will become of him after LOTr, becuase Hidalgo did not seem much of a success.

First time post here. Be gentle.

No way I am going to be gentle with you. I cannot speak for the rest of the guy, but I am as mean as they come (except of Barend, of course) wink.gif

Welcome to the forum. smile.gif

#18 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:01 AM

*standing ovation for JYAMG*

I'd give you a standing ovulation, as well, but i'm not female.

#19 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:17 AM

I'll check it out the moment I get home. smile.gif

#20 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 01:39 AM

OK, I may be alone in this, but: I liked Hidalgo. Yes, it was cornball at times, but I liked it, goddamn it. And no movie with Omar Sharif in it can be entirely bad. (What happened to him? He used to be one of the hottest actors around. Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl--he was smoking once. There's no denying his talent. So, what happened?)

#21 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 02:16 AM

Ernest - start Vigoo Mortensen appreciation thread in Movie Theater. I am sure that Subliminal Message will participate, and so will I.

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2004 - 04:19 AM

I also have to add that this is possibly your best yet. Sorry about the late reply, you posted them pretty much the same time as I closed the forums and got on with my assignments yesterday. Favourite bits, its a bit hard, but I've narrowed it down to three. First, the snipe at RotJ in the opening title, the line about Lucas's fans being reduced to people under 13 and Jariten, and the reaction of Jariten in the cinema. Infact, even before he said anything, I just cracked up by seeing the exp​ression compared to everybody behind him tongue.gif

I guess the only problem I see is the slight inconsistancy in that I actually want to see RotS. I don't expect it to be as good as the OT, but I hope its as funny as your spoilers made it out to be.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 05:11 AM

Watched it once again for more critical comments to our director.

I loved the inclusion of binary sunset. I just love this moment. Thanks.

Question - what is Sallan?

I noticed you subtle allusion "somebody obviously hasn't been watching my latest SW ... not that I am disappointed".

The bit "ladies and gentlemen and Uruk-hai warriors" was great - it reminded me of a similar bit in some book I read a long time ago - "Ladies and gentlemen.. and other sexes" (the reference was to a priest in the audience).

Now, can anyone envisage what would our culprit said if he were to watch this outing? Would he ever understand what it is all about. Would he understand our point of view at all?

#24 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:08 AM

I think he'd come after me with his henchmen. wink.gif

As for your question about Sallan... well Sallan is the name of a planet. Rather than calling it Dantooine or something else, I took the liberty of making up another name... to sort of expand that tiny little universe of Star Wars a little bit.

Thanks for the extra comments. I love critical feedback - it's my favourite type. cool.gif

And Creaux and Sime, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Sime, I may well check out Episode III for myself too in the future... out of morbid curiosity (the kind that kills all those cats). But I sure as hell don't want to pay Lucas any money for it. I may wait until all you guys jump into the water first to see if it's safe for swimming.

And Ernest -

OK, I may be alone in this, but: I liked Hidalgo. Yes, it was cornball at times, but I liked it, goddamn it. And no movie with Omar Sharif in it can be entirely bad. (What happened to him? He used to be one of the hottest actors around. Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Funny Girl--he was smoking once. There's no denying his talent. So, what happened?)

Yes... but did you enjoy this latest outing?

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 20 October 2004 - 06:13 AM

#25 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Oct 20 2004, 06:08 AM)
As for your question about Sallan... well Sallan is the name of a planet. Rather than calling it Dantooine or something else, I took the liberty of making up another name... to sort of expand that tiny little universe of Star Wars a little bit.

Nice name. Back in the days when I was writing fantasy novels I noticed that is is horribly difficult to think up nice- sounding names.
But I think I was still better than Lucas who now can only come up with stuff like Count Dooku (Yuck) or General Grievous (why not General Sad Loser, Georgie?).

Anyway, well done.

#26 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:16 AM

Loved it, especially the Episode III part. I still can't believe the whole 'lava-surfing' thing...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#27 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:51 AM

Actually, I at first thought the lava surfing was a reference to Conker's Bad Fur Day, but then realised that JYAMG would have no idea what it was.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#28 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

Conker's Bad Fur Day? What's that?

Glad you enjoyed it, Helena. Good to see you again too. You've settled into your new country? You have a place to stay now? etc.

Anyway, welcome back. smile.gif

#29 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:19 AM

Man, that stuff was GREAT! I LOVED the way how you made us watch the movie and how it sucked... that picture of me putting my hands on my head and screaming looks makes me wonder whether it'll come true in the near future (when Episode III comes out) or not! Again I will say it -- Great stuff!

I'm sorry I didn't respond immidiately after I came back home, but I was very sleepy and too a four hour long nap, then got out for dinner, walked back home, had to do some shopping for my mom and check out the book store to see if it has any 'teach yourself drawing' books (and thankfully it did) and there you have it!

Now I think I'll get me a drink... I'm thristy.

#30 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 October 2004 - 06:56 PM

"Yes... but did you enjoy (Sharif's) latest outing?" Certainly I did. That why I got to thinking about why a good actor like Sharif went from star to obscure character actor inside of ten years. And it's not like he aged poorly (as opposed to, say, Ryan O'Neal; you can easily see why his appeal dried up fast.)

Come to think of it, David Lean, who made both Zhivago and Lawrence of Arabia, made stars out of a number of actors whose careers faded too quickly thereafter. Peter O'Toole, for example--what a waste! (Partly his own fault to be sure.) Geraldine Chaplin from Zhivago did not get another big leading-lady role again. Tom Courtenay has no really impressive movies on his resume after Zhivago. Come to think of, the most durable actor from any of Lean's movies was Alec Guinness but he was already famous.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size