Chefelf.com Night Life: Favorite Kinds of Sandwiches - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Favorite Kinds of Sandwiches Jill sandwiches do not count.

#16 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:14 AM

Ahh, now I remember the Jill Sandwitch line. Oh, Barry, when will you learn comedic timing?

I remember as a kid I was always confused by your peanut butter and jelly sandwitches. Because, seriously, why the hell do you call it jelly? You go and call jam jelly for no reason, then call jelly jello. Seems rather stupid to me, but meyh.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#17 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:40 AM

I've never understood many words Americans use. I just let them get on wth it...

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Oct 20 2004, 01:02 AM)
Has anyone noticed that one of the Google ads advertises that you can buy sandwhiches on Ebay? Who the fuck bids on a sandwhich?

I once saw a can of Carling on eBay. Everything goes...

I've also forgotten to make reference to the sandwichy goodness that is Subway sandwiches. Lush. And I'll hear no different.

Well, hear yes, listen no... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Chyld: 20 October 2004 - 10:45 AM

When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#18 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Oct 20 2004, 03:14 AM)
Ahh, now I remember the Jill Sandwitch line. Oh, Barry, when will you learn comedic timing?

I remember as a kid I was always confused by your peanut butter and jelly sandwitches. Because, seriously, why the hell do you call it jelly? You go and call jam jelly for no reason, then call jelly jello. Seems rather stupid to me, but meyh.

Jam and jelly are two different beasties. Jelly is made with fruit juice, boiled with gelatin, whereas jam is made by rendering whole fruit down into pulp. The main difference between jam and preserves is the level of cooking-Preserves usually has the fruit in a more-together state.

Jello is jello and a gelatin. Not something that a sane man would spread on bread.

#19 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:41 AM

I beg to differ. Out of America, what you refer to as Jello is called Jelly. I may be wrong, and that may just be here, but if history has told us anything about differing opinions on the meaning of words, its usually down to Americans changing things.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#20 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Oct 21 2004, 05:41 AM)
I beg to differ. Out of America, what you refer to as Jello is called Jelly. I may be wrong, and that may just be here, but if history has told us anything about differing opinions on the meaning of words, its usually down to Americans changing things.

I wonder what the history of the American Jello is...

As far as I know, And that's not very far, Jello corperation created Jello and called it Jello, and all off-brands not desiring lawsuit are pressed to call their concoctions "gelatin desserts."

What do you guys call uninteresting, textureless fruit spreads?

Ahh well. Maybe not communicated effectively, but I sure as hell would not put jello or, if you'd like, jelly on a sandwich. Jam or preserves are better.

#21 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 21 October 2004 - 01:30 PM

(summoning up my best Mr. Burns)

"they make that from hooves, don't they?"

--

based on the above, I'm changing to preserves across the board.

----
heard somewhere:

"(she's) that gotta be jelly 'cause jam don't shake like that"

#22 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

I'd suggest bitter marmelade, that's actually my favorite preserve. Sort of hard to find, though, as all sorts of deluded sops think sweet marmelade is better. Pffft.

Apple butter is also quite nyummie...I dunno how wide spread it is (LOL), so in case you don't know what it is, it's basically a really fine apple paste constituted in apple cider. Light and fluffy and yummy!

This post has been edited by Creaux: 21 October 2004 - 03:15 PM

#23 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 24 October 2004 - 12:39 AM

I shall adopt the proper English usage of jam=fruit spread and jelly=gelatin. It does indeed make sense. But one thing I can't understand about England (aside from how Tony Blair stays in power) is clotted cream. What is it? Is it as bad as it sounds? We serve it at afternoon tea at the restaurant I work at and it rather intimidates me. Scones are delectable though.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#24 User is offline   Girdag Fireskull Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 24 October 2004 - 10:37 AM

Clotted Cream + Scones + Jam = Some acceptable form of heaven.

Oh yes, and nothing beats a Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. Long live the BLT!

#25 User is offline   Melissa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 24 October 2004 - 04:33 PM

Mmm i'm just after a freshly baked scone with whipped cream and jam! Soooooooo good wub.gif

#26 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:16 PM

Apple butter seems to be a Southern thing. Are you from the south?
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#27 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2004 - 09:38 PM

PLEASE NOTE!

Fluffer Nutters are hereby illegal in this thread. I HATE those...
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#28 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 26 October 2004 - 11:39 AM

They have Rib sandwiches down here. (if you can call it that) BBQ Rib bones between white bread. Damn, the barbeque in this town is Very good. Full Moon is expanding to Baltimore. Dreamland is all over the south now, too.

Nathan's (brand) skinless beef frank, pan-fried to a bubbling split with melted cheese, ketchup and mustard on a bun is my current Fave from home.

#29 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Oct 26 2004, 11:39 AM)
They have Rib sandwiches down here. (if you can call it that) BBQ Rib bones between white bread.

Yea, I made those at home before, SOOO good. Having a sandwich with meatballs, or gravy-drenched turkey is also amazing.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#30 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2004 - 01:05 AM

Origionally from St. Louis.

BLTs are quite good, I must admit.

If you want the best barbeque that you'll have on this earth, try either in Memphis or at a resturant called "Arthur Bryant's" in Kansas City. THAT'S how the flesh of dead animals SHOULD be loved.

Pulled pork sandwiches are also a bit of heaven, but then so are hamburgers. For some reason, I've always kept hamburgers devided out away from andwiches. If we're going to allow hamburgers in, though...A nice large sirloin burger smothered with stilton is AMAZING. Slap it on a toasted kaiser roll and you're ALL set for all KINDS of trouble.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size