• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Why legalize assault weapons?

#1 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:17 AM

Why are a good number of people in my nation mad that the assault weapon ban may be re-instated? Why do these people seem to think that there is any reason whatsoever that they need an ASSAULT weapon? I mean, my uncle owns an m16 and an AK47, I've seen and held them and will agree that they are neat, but on NPr, one fellow admitted that he quit his church, the Methodists, because he heard that they were supporting Kerry. His main beef with Kerry? He wants to reinstate the Assault Weapon Ban.

*sigh*

Komatta na...

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:21 AM

Assult rifles? Why the hell would anybody need an assult rifle? Personally, I belive that guns should be restricted soley to those that need them. Namely police, military and security forces(type of gun dependant on position), and famers/rangers/hunters(restricted to hunting rifles, or shotguns where appropriate). When guns are issued in households(eg. Police), they should be of the minimum power required to try and minimise harm if they're stolen.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:28 AM

Assault weapons allow the people to defend themselves from terrorists. Terrorists are not clever enough to drop by their local wal mart and pick up an assault weapon and even if they were they'd be caught by the form they have to fill out, which includes the question: "Are you a terrorist? Yes or No?"

So you see, assault weapons are a freedom that we must cherish. Just like the right to have weapons grade plutonium and stocks of anthrax in our garage.

Actually if you watched Bowling for Columbine you'd see that the NRA is largely a racist institution and that most gun owners probably believe that their most likely target is a young black male. It's amazing how scared the rulers of this country are that they'll lose power...

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:13 AM

Because it's fun shooting things. I wouldn't buy one, but I would squeeze a couple rounds if some one presented the oppurtunity to me.

Wether the ban goes through or not, it will make little to no differnce. The ones registering and shooting the guns for fun are not the ones doing the killing. Most people who kill don't go buy guns and register them under their name.

People who want to kill with assault weapons will get them regardless of what the law says.

JM- You seem to be setting up a scarecrow. You hit all the major cliches. People who buy guns are racist and want to kill terrorists?

Prior to 9/11 it would have just been "they want to kill blacks". I don't buy it.

I've been with "praire hicks" before. I've shot guns with them too. They are not crazy. Sure, there are exceptions, but let's not brand the majority racist. I haven't heard of any recent black slayings linked to the NRA. They're a bunch of guys who love hunting and shooting. They are men and women who share a common interest.

I would like to see the statistic on how many deaths there was last year by assault rifles. THen compare that number to how many people own them legally.

The methodist church probably does not support Kerry because he's a liberal. And liberals support gay rights and abortion. And sure, maybe a couple guys in the church are upset over the gun ban.

Here is a small statistic

http://story.news.ya...riflestatistics

This post has been edited by Jordan: 17 October 2004 - 02:19 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:21 AM

All firearms should require licensing and background checks before sale. The only problem is that no matter what laws are in place to restrict firearms use, they can still be purchased illegally.

#6 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:40 AM

All firearms should require licensing and background checks before sale. The only problem is that no matter what laws are in place to restrict firearms use, they can still be purchased illegally.

You can buy a gun in the states without a background check or license?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#7 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 17 October 2004 - 06:28 AM

Jordan- The NRA was created at the same time the KKK was outlawed and were responsible for the first gun laws, which prevented blacks from owning them. I still stand by my point that the majority of people who own guns for protection believe that this protection is from african americans.

I don't think all gun owners are crazy or racist but I do think it's rather stupid. I mean, use a sword or a bow and arrow if you want a weapon. I don't understand why anyone *needs* an assault rifle. Have you read the second ammendment?

A WELL ARMED MILITIA, BEING NECESSARY TO THE SECURITY OF THE NATION

This is what I call a conditional form.

Here's another example of such a sentence.

Timmy, having agreed to wash the car, received a cookie.

Timmy does not get his cookie unless he agrees to wash the car and people dont get guns unless it is necessary to national security. It is NOT.

In the 1700s a militia was necessary to a town's security and a nation's. A militia could more or less oppose a professional army of equal number because the hardware was all the same. This idea would not work at all today.

The point is that there is no necessary reason to have a hand gun or automatic weapon. Hunting is necessary in some places but an M16 is not to be used for killing squirrels. Sure they may be fun but so is skateboarding, public nudity, and smoking in public places and all of these things are prohibited despite not being half aas dangerous as waving around an AK.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#8 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2004 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (Creaux @ Oct 17 2004, 12:17 AM)
Komatta na...

Kawaii so, ne?
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#9 User is offline   Creaux Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Um, I like music, Studying religion from Catholocism to the occult, warhammer and DND and other nerdy things, being kind to people, freaking people out. And swords.

Posted 17 October 2004 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Oct 17 2004, 10:39 AM)
QUOTE (Creaux @ Oct 17 2004, 12:17 AM)
Komatta na...

Kawaii so, ne?

Kawaikunai da yo! Kowai da yo!

And I will freely admit, I thought it was cool to hold them, and I would LOVE to go hunting with him and play with them. He said that it is useful for semi-auto, getting a few shots at a deer even as it's running away. That's not a great reason by any means, but it is at least a reason.

Of course it's to look and be cool.

Same reason I like swords!

I just can't believe that anyone would prefer to be able to have one and allow criminal elements to more easily get hold of one.

Hey, Iheard that in Australia, a complete gun ban was set into place, and then the criminal element that had never disarmed went on a spree, is this true? Is it exagerated (undoubtedly) by the NRA and similar?

Also, groups can be more than what they were created as. Look at professional sports leagues! Created as a public diversion, not a national obsession.

BTW, Montreal lost the Expos to Washington DC...O_o...can't really blame the fans for getting hugely pissed off.

#10 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:09 PM

When I read this topic, I thought, "Because AK's are cool."

The point is that there is no necessary reason to have a hand gun or automatic weapon.
(JM)

Not true. Assault weapons are certainly not necessary, but I like to have a hand gun for protection. I live in a rural area, and we've had trouble with break ins around here recently. More than half of the population of my town can be summed up with the title "redneck meth addicts with rapist tendencies who heart George W. Bush." Awhile back I wrote about how some creepy looking guys showed up at my house when I was home alone. I like the protection. I'm better with a gun than I am a knife, and it's illogical to have to defend myself with a weapon that I need to be close enough to the dude to stab him. Anyway, my stance is and always will be, "You chase after me with some creepy intent to harm/molester me, I shoot you in the fucking head. K, thanks."
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#11 User is offline   Melissa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 17 October 2004 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE (Amber-Nicole @ Oct 17 2004, 02:09 PM)
When I read this topic, I thought, "Because AK's are cool."

The point is that there is no necessary reason to have a hand gun or automatic weapon.
(JM)

Not true. Assault weapons are certainly not necessary, but I like to have a hand gun for protection. I live in a rural area, and we've had trouble with break ins around here recently. More than half of the population of my town can be summed up with the title "redneck meth addicts with rapist tendencies who heart George W. Bush." Awhile back I wrote about how some creepy looking guys showed up at my house when I was home alone. I like the protection. I'm better with a gun than I am a knife, and it's illogical to have to defend myself with a weapon that I need to be close enough to the dude to stab him. Anyway, my stance is and always will be, "You chase after me with some creepy intent to harm/molester me, I shoot you in the fucking head. K, thanks."

I'm completely shocked reading this. There is no way a young girl should feel the only way to protect herself is by having a hand gun! I'm actually completely stomped for words. sad.gif

Maybe things are just differant where i live.........

#12 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:02 PM

Um, what else do you propose I defend myself with? It's a matter of sticking with the times. If it's likely that my attacker has a gun, I want one too. And if lasers and light sabres were as common amongst criminals as guns are, you can bet that I want those nearby and handy as well.
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#13 User is offline   Melissa Icon

• New Cop

Posted 17 October 2004 - 03:52 PM

A better secuirty system, pepper spray even! Maybe if it wasn't so "normal" to have guns you wouldnt be so worried. I'll just never fully understand it. Obviously we just live in two very differant worlds.

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:06 PM

I still stand by my point that the majority of people who own guns for protection believe that this protection is from african americans.

You did not say "for protection" in your original post. I too think it's stupid. Here in Canada you can't have a loaded gun in your house. Chances are you'd probably forget it was loaded and kill yourself and wife, friend, kid, etc..

#15 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 17 October 2004 - 04:34 PM

A gun makes me feel safe. I own it, I may never use it, but I still feel a whole lot better knowing that it's there if a situation comes up where I need to defend myself and I can. Pepper spray? Wtf. This guy is coming at me and he wants to do bad things to me. I'm not concerned about "being nice." Oh nos, I might hurt the guy. Well NEWS FLASH, that's the fucking point. I'm not going to come up with all of this elaborate stuff to stop the guy and hopefully not kill him, why should I be concerned about his well-being? I aim to kill, if I'm being attacked, I'm not giving the guy the opportunity to make a come back and win the fight. Maybe that seems barbaric to some of you, but it's my stand point. I'm a decent person, I have what I consider to be good morals. But if someone is after me with the intent to kill/harm, I'm not going to be considerate to them in anyway.

P.S. A security system? I live 20 minutes away from help. I'm not going to sit here playing miss damsel in distress, waiting for someone to rescue me who might not even get here in time. I'm going to be prepared to take care of myself, and protect my own life.

• (21 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size