• (2 Pages)
  • +

Story update

#1 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 October 2004 - 08:20 AM

Ok, I'm starting this thread as a place where I'll be posting the updates for the novel that I'm working on. JYAMG and others would probably enjoy it, so I'll provide the links to it whenever I finish a chapter.

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

Neat smile.gif
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:24 AM

You should post the links to your first chapter again, mate. Because you might find some new readers over in this section of the forum too.

#4 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2004 - 09:44 AM

OK, I'll pose the links to the prelude and the first chapter.

Here's the link for the prelude

And here's the first chapter

I have to finish off some college assignments before I can get started on the next chapter... but don't worry, they're not hard. smile.gif

Enjoy.

#5 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2004 - 08:00 PM

OK, I just did some refinging work on the first chapter. It's not much, just some minor typos, grammarical errors and style fixing, nothing fundamental.

#6 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:28 PM

I did more proof reading on the first chapter... damn, I made so many mistakes with tenses... JYAMG was right about that part! What came over me?!?!?! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:06 PM

Ah, these things happen to everyone sometimes. Sometimes, you're just too busy writing down what happens next to worry about anything else. Hence, the necessity for the re-read. For the sake of your own sanity and avoiding deja vu, I recommend waiting a day or two before re-reading your work.

#8 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2004 - 12:58 AM

That's exactly what I'm doing!

But I really need to get to work on the next chapter and on my thesis... slow and steady wins the race, or so they say. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Paladin: 11 October 2004 - 12:59 AM

#9 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

I remember being taught that when looking for spelling mistakes, read it backwards so you focus on the words instead of the plot.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#10 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2004 - 10:07 AM

That sounds interesting, I'll try it sometime. smile.gif

#11 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

Guys, I know this seems impossible given my past enthusiasm for the story, but I've decided to cancel it. This confuses me as much as it confuses all of you, but for some reason I don't think I could have pulled it off properly.

But then again, it WAS a practice story to begin with, and I suppose that means I should be able to cancel it at any time that I feel I need to. I hope I didn't dissapoint JYAMG and my friend Edward (when I tell him this... he really enjoyed it). I didn't think it was good enough, as there was a lot of stuff missing in it, but I hope to try again later sometime. I'm not going to delete what I've written off my PC, but by the time I start at it again, it could be long forgotten.

Sorry everyone. sad.gif

#12 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:16 AM

No wait, I've had a quick change of heart. I'm going to carry on writing this.

But if I am, I think I should start right away... I haven't wrote anything in days!

#13 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:23 AM

It's okay, mate. Take your time with it. I know some authors can force themselves to write and write and get over writer's block (and laziness) but it's not always easy.

For me, I find that I may write an incredible amount in the space of a few days and then write nothing for months afterwards.

This is what works for me. You've just gotta find what works for you.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you haven't given up.

And it's a good idea never to delete it.

I never 'give up' writing projects. I just sometimes put them on the shelf for later.

#14 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2004 - 05:21 AM

I never 'give up' writing projects. I just sometimes put them on the shelf for later.

I used to be exactly like that at one time, but then I realized there is such a thing as 'failed' stories. Failed stories are the ones who's plotline was so messed up that it was beyond repair. I once wrote a (conceptually good) story about a trio of gladiators in Rome who became famous due to their skill, but sought to be free and tried to use their skills to escape Rome and then elude their persuers to find freedom.

I will never say that that idea is bad, but the story was intended to be a practice fic but it evolved into a 'serious' bit of work, and hte practice part got too much time and the main plot dilutted into nothingness, and there was no way I could try it up in the dramatic fashion I intended it to be. One day I'm going to rewrite it in a more professional manner. The concept is just too good to be simply thrown away.

One of the things which made me change my mind about cancelling my story is the fact that I remembered I was writing it for practice... the whole concept of it is to improve my writing, which is why I didn't put too much thought into the plot (it's really very simple) and whatnot. I'm starting to read The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (it is AMAZING) and I've gotten some great ideas as to how to write my next serious story. Which will still be a FanFiction, but I hope to be able to convert it to an independant work of fanatasy with a little tweaking here and there.

I'm also starting to teach myself to draw. I want to become a good artist one day so I can draw my characters and scenes in my stories and bring them to life. smile.gif

#15 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 23 October 2004 - 08:30 AM

Well, best of luck with it. I do have one suggestion for you - I think if you're interested in writing so much, kick this fan-fiction practice stuff right away. There's nothing to stop you. And I see no reason why you feel you need to write within the rules and guidelines of somebody else's imaginary world.

Make your own - it's easy. Come up with some names for the people and places in your story and write. Maybe you'll come up with something great. Maybe you won't... doesn't matter. You can always try again.

I've never been disappointed by any of my writing endeavours. Not wholly satisfied with them, sure. That's why I'm still tweaking a few of them. But I've never been disappointed.

Make characters you are interested in, believe in them, try to think about what it must be like in their shoes, etc. Think of them as your mates. You're going to be spending a hell of a lot of time with these people so get to know them.

And after this, I assure you that the story just comes naturally.

What comes next? Not sure? Look at the situation and think "How would Jack react to that? Well, what's Annie going to say when she sees THIS?" Your characters become living breathing people after a while and you find that they are the ones who make all the calls about what goes on in your novel, not you.

Take the shorter road under the Morthuel Watch Tower to overtake the enemy? No way, I'd never take that risk. It's too damn dangerous. But it's not my call. It's Dana's choice and she's a powerful mage. So if she thinks she can get us all past the tower safely, then okay, we're with Daina.

I'll stop rambling on here and just assume that you'll get my point.

Don't limit yourself, is what I'm saying. I've had a look at some of your stuff. I think you've got the ability... so why mess around writing fanfiction?

When it comes to the imagination, the sky's the limit, mate. So what are you waiting for?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size