• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

oldies the classic games that we all love:

#241 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Oct 23 2006, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's really a matter of personal reference. I'd say oldie would be SNES/megadrive generation, whereas vintage would be NES/Master System or before. But that's influenced by when I grew up. EwokHunter is considerably younger, so he believes 1999 is old, due to when he started gaming.

Id consider vintage to be any game that cant be found in stores such as GameStop. Gamestop doesnt sell Atari 2600, Intellivision, NES, Genesis, Turbografx-16, etc.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#242 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:38 PM

you know, looking at games today versus games of yesteryear i tend to realize something. beyond the obvious technical improvements that are primarliy evident to most gamers, there is yet something else.

do this,..play some of your favorite games on current systems for a couple of hours. then play some of your favorite games on systems such as NES, Genesis, Super NES..theres something different about it?, right.

No Im not referring to the load times on CD-based games, its something more..its like games today dont have that fun feel. Im not saying today's games arent fun..they are,.but they seem too serious. They are too realistic sometimes, too intricate in the gameplay, too long in the storyline,.the movies are great-but sometimes they arent really needed in order to enjoy the game. That simple wholesome gaming feel of yesteryear doesnt seem to be as prevalent today like it was before.

There's so many games being made today,.its unreal. No one could possibly play them all, let alone conquer them as well. Yes, maybe todays games are getting more creative with their story plots. The traditional "villian captures princess" cliche is hardly used anymore. The big boss at the last level is being retired. Games are getting creative, which is good, but they are losing a lot of that fanatic gameplay that made games really good.

I dont know if I am conveying what I am trying to say effectively. But after the 16-bit era, games seemed to take on a much different direction. They werent being made like the games we knew before.
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

#243 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

I know what you mean, and in some respects I can agree with you. But that all depends on what you want from a game. I love a good storyline and complex characters. Sure, there are a few older games that have that (Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment etc), but with the advances of technology there is much more room for these types of games. Sure, I do miss the likes of Super Mario World, but action-orientated games just don't hold my interest much these days.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#244 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Oct 25 2006, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know what you mean, and in some respects I can agree with you. But that all depends on what you want from a game. I love a good storyline and complex characters. Sure, there are a few older games that have that (Fallout, Baldurs Gate, Planescape: Torment etc), but with the advances of technology there is much more room for these types of games. Sure, I do miss the likes of Super Mario World, but action-orientated games just don't hold my interest much these days.

I remember reading a great article online once about avid video game collectors. The article featured individual stories about collectors and photos of their massive collections. We're talking about people who have been spending a good sum of their paychecks on video games. You'd be floored to see some of the photos of these collections. One guy had literally every console based game ever released,.were talking from the days of Intellivision and Fairchild, on to Atari 2600, 7800, right up to XBOX360 and PSP!

Thats amazing!, and to think that my girlfriend gripes about me having too many games in my personal collection. Heck, last time I counted I still had less than 800, but I think over 600..hee hee!

I couldnt even begin to imagine having every video game over the last 30 years or so. I wished I would have saved those pics onto my hard drive..they were quite amazing to say the least, about the same as the kid who had every single Autobot and Decepticon Transformer ever released!

#245 User is offline   Itaritz Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Video Games, SciFi, Fantasy, trying to write SciFi and Fantasy, political philosophy (Let's face it , the higher stuff is for physicists now), Yahtzee, Craig Ferguson, Hank the Cowdog, and orange juice. That about covers it.

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:17 PM

Using my own very vague definition of "oldies"...

Super Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt for NES
Super Mario Brothers 3 for NES
Contra for NES
Tetris for Game Boy
Castlevainia (or however it spells itself) for Game Boy
Widget (or whatever it was called...little purple alien dude) for NES
Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow for Game Boy
Twisted Metal 2 for PlayStation

And...

The three PS Spyro games.
When in doubt, plead sarcasm.

The ETSP - Worst. Website. Ever.

#246 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 13 January 2008 - 01:35 AM

Here's my definition of oldies:

This fucking thread.

With over a year and a half of not being added to in any way, I think it's safe that we can unpin this, and let it finally drift off in to the sunset. I've never quite understood why the Games Room needs so many pinned topics.

This post has been edited by Heccubus: 13 January 2008 - 01:36 AM

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size