Star Wars Fan Convention

• (5 Pages)
  • +

LotR vs. SW

#31 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 16 November 2003 - 08:36 PM

Chefelf: i don't remember getting those emails... he's in england at the moment, and funnily enough just called me a couple days ago to get my email adress, so when he writes i'll ask him.
(i've made him sit through hours of my bitching about SW).

but back to the topic of technology...
i like Mark Hammils quote: "if there was a way to make a film without actors, I think George Lucas would be the first to do it."

#32 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone else have a vague fear that the third LotR movie will turn out like Star Wars and the Matrix now?

#33 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:41 AM

QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Nov 17 2003, 11:14 AM)
Does anyone else have a vague fear that the third LotR movie will turn out like Star Wars and the Matrix now?

No, since they made all 3 of the movies at the same time. By doing that, there isn't really any way that the separate movies would effect it.
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#34 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 November 2003 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (looktothesky @ Nov 17 2003, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE (Ninja Duck @ Nov 17 2003, 11:14 AM)

No, since they made all 3 of the movies at the same time. By doing that, there isn't really any way that the separate movies would effect it.

I agree. While I'm not a huge fan of LOTR I think it will fit in nicely with the other two movies. The same way that Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions fit together perfectly but yet share very little of the feeling of the original movie.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#35 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 05:12 PM

My biggest concern is that the special effects won't be as good as I expect (which is perfect realism). Return of the King, from what I gather is the most bold and spectacular in terms of CGI, but I wasn't wholly convinced by the first two movies. And I'm not so certain the nazgul in Osgiliath will make it either. The computer game seems to have readily approached the quality of the movie, but I don't think WETA has made it up to the level of ILM.

ILM did a great job with the Gugans in TPM, which took place during the day. The opening scenes of the battle with Sauron in Fellowship took place in the darkness, which is easier to fudge.

Whatever the case, I'll still be impressed, but I don't think they're reached the point where CGI battles meet the quality of a full muster of armies a la Brave Heart. There's nothing like the real thing.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#36 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 17 November 2003 - 08:23 PM

i just watched the special edition of 'LOTR:the two towers"
all i can say is "gwaah, bahh fwaa!!" (and other nonsensecle sounds of approval)
it's brilliant, it looks better, so much more out of the book, big boromir bit, BIG IMPROOVEMENT on cinimatic version. 43 extra minutes of glory!!!

Star Wars really is a joke by comparison in every concievable way.

#37 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2003 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Nov 17 2003, 05:12 PM)
ILM did a great job with the Gugans in TPM, which took place during the day. The opening scenes of the battle with Sauron in Fellowship took place in the darkness, which is easier to fudge.

I'm hoping that Jackson continues to use the CGI for the background etc. Where LMI created CGI for all Gungan battle scenes (close ups and wide angle shots) Jackson has still seemed to want to put real people in as much of the scenes as possible and merely use CGI to fleah out and add a little more volume. I think if he has stuck with this rule of thumb then we'll have little issue with the CGI aspect of the film.

Having said that, I'll also agree that there is nothing like Braveheart's battle scenes. Roll out the Scottish army I say and put them all in Stormtrooper Suits.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#38 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 December 2003 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Supes @ Nov 17 2003, 11:58 PM)
Having said that, I'll also agree that there is nothing like Braveheart's battle scenes. Roll out the Scottish army I say and put them all in Stormtrooper Suits.

Once again from the AOTC audio commentary, Lucas (madman) is gloating about how they crafted the film without creating, not a one, clone trooper suit.

Looking forward to the return of the rings this week. went Xmas shopping yesterday in a nice toystore and picked up two LOTR checkers sets, which are real cool. the guys at the checkout and I chatted about the upcoming release, and the question of LOTR v. star wasr was asked. "naaww, that's like comparing apples and oranges" was the pc response, as not to offend I'd suppose.

#39 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 14 December 2003 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Dec 14 2003, 10:01 AM)
Once again from the AOTC audio commentary, Lucas (madman) is gloating about how they crafted the film without creating, not a one, clone trooper suit.

and the funny thing is that you can tell...

he shouldn't be gloating, he should be apologising.

he talked recently on a film making documentary about having his son with him on shoots and said: "it's great to have someone around who understands explosions."

i think that says alot!!! dry.gif

#40 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 02:33 AM

After watching Return of The King it is now offical. Starwars lost by a long shot.
I'm a little sad that Angmar The witch king did not kick some more ass before he died. sad.gif

I hope the special edition with extra footage shows more of him knocking around men before his death to Eowyn.

Also, just before Eowyn killed the witch king, did anyone else hear women in the audience belt out a cheer of some kind?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#41 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Dec 30 2003, 02:33 AM)
Also, just before Eowyn killed the witch king, did anyone else hear women in the audience belt out a cheer of some kind?

Frankly, there weren't a lot of women in the audience when I saw it, either time.

But yeah. There's something about Vancouver. The first city on Earth to embrace "political correctness," it will likely be the last to finally let it go. Vancouver, Canada is probably the one place left on Earth where seeing the misspelling "grrl" or any reference to "girl power" will not only not make people blush, but will still elicit nods of approval.

Anyway, the correct response to that moment is to think, "ooh, how like Macbeth." And then of course to consider how Eowyn should really have taken her opportunity when it was given, rather than counting on the stun reaction lasting long enough for her to remove her helmet and go all James Bond quippy on the bad guy. But I guess that's what you get when you watch a movie.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#42 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:39 AM

rather than counting on the stun reaction lasting long enough for her to remove her helmet and go all James Bond quippy on the bad guy. But I guess that's what you get when you watch a movie.

Good call. It made the witch king look like a sucker. Here we have an immortal who commands Sauron's armies, on his knees listening to what the attacker has to say instead of just tossing her across the plains of pelennor.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:39 PM

what was the meaning of that exchange, precisely? that he could not be killed by a "man," (so he need not worry) but the technicality of her being female of the race of man would be a legitimate threat? Eowyn seemed more practical than smartass, so yeah the comment's for the viewer's benefit. I'm a little hazy on this, but didn't Merry aid in the kill? being a hobbit and not a man I guess being the point (if applicable.)

there were lots of nice things the moviemaking brought. I liked the ring melting. the "don't let go," hands slipping scene was cliche, but suspenseful (mixed feelings). I liked in the book where gollum danced off the cliff, accidentally, wasn't it? at least it wasn't as pathetic as Luke crying out on his bespin dive (SE)

I really liked the treatment of the closing credits on rotk. very tasteful.

#44 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 December 2003 - 04:50 PM

You got it despondent. The witch king was invincible only to man not woman. Merry did aid in the kill, you are right, I forgot about that. He stabs the witch king in the leg and that is why he falls to his knees. In the book this actaully kills Merry. The shear evil leaps out at him after thrusting the sword in the nazgul's leg and ultimately kills him. I thought this was a good ending for Merry, but then Tolkein brought him back to life with herbs or something. I think Eowyn also dies aswell in the book. ( but is also brought back to life blah)

Whats interesting about the fate of the ring is that no one, by their own will, threw it over the cliff. The temptation in the ring could break anyone. That is the best part, the darkness could have won if not for the greed of gollum who caused the ring to go over by accident.

This makes the evil in the movie seem so much more threatening. Unlike SW where the bad guys seem like stupid ass retards. The trade feds? I felt like I could have walked up to them and slapped them around for awhile.

#45 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 31 December 2003 - 12:29 AM

Unlike SW where the bad guys seem like stupid ass retards.

ROFLOL

At least Darth Maul could hold his own with a lightsaber.

And what about the good guys? I liked how Alec Guiness portrayed Obi-Wan. Now I just think of Obi-Wan as a putz.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size