• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

LotR vs. SW

#16 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:10 PM

I did laugh out loud, artoo.

After viewing the two towers, I was pumped. Energized, and ready to discuss it till Christmas, at least.

leaving the theatre after AOTC, I couldn't stop shaking my head from side to side and mumbling to myself: "that was awful. that was awful..."

And yes, I do feel a little bit guilty making only negative comments about the recent SW offerings. but then I think back to how superior the star wars holiday special was.

Happy Life-day, everyone!

#17 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 05 November 2003 - 07:50 AM

When I watched Two Towers, there were parts of Moria that still screamed video game to me. I love the books and will watch the Tolkein films over and over but there's still a technical threshold that the LOTR films haven't passed which would make them on par with ILM. And even ILM failed in the Anakin-Padme waterfalls scenes. With CGI, we can now show anything, but there’s still more work to be done before it’s all seemless.

During the shooting of Revelations, I helped fix costumes to get rid of trademark names or costume problems. Everyone replied CGI guys will fix it in post. It's a new mind set that makes post production hell.

Someone tell me. In the trailers for LOTR, there's a scene in which the company comes over a mountain top and passes before the camera. Is the background real or fake? It looks fake to me, especially when I know Jackson went to pains to use the real vistas for his movie.

Another thing, especially when I watch the making-of clips for these movies. Everyone talks technical issues -- it was so hard to get the robes to flow, it was difficult to put in the shadows, etc. The interesting thing in the EP 1 & 2 commentaries was that Lucas was always talking plot and story. He almost never talked about technical problems.

It’s so easy to be impressed with the “technological terror” CGI has created.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#18 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 05 November 2003 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Nov 5 2003, 07:50 AM)
During the shooting of Revelations, I helped fix costumes to get rid of trademark names or costume problems. Everyone replied CGI guys will fix it in post. It's a new mind set that makes post production hell.

You're absolutely right. I owned a recording studio for a number of years and the things said by clients were much the same.

"Hmmmm, I hit the snare drum there and I shouldn't have."

"Don't worry we can fix it in the mixdown."

Well sure you can but 1.) it'll take a bunch of time, 2.) it won't sound as good as if you just rerecorded it and 3.) you should start out with as strong a foundation as possible because that's what makes for good sounding music.

People's initial laziness and reliance on technology is what causes such blunders to occur. I love technology as much as (if not more than) the next guy but it should be used to enhance great film/music not to fix simple errors just because you can.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#19 User is offline   artoo1121 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 November 2003 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Nov 5 2003, 07:50 AM)
Someone tell me. In the trailers for LOTR, there's a scene in which the company comes over a mountain top and passes before the camera. Is the background real or fake? It looks fake to me, especially when I know Jackson went to pains to use the real vistas for his movie.

It has to be a fake, it does not look real at all. I'm assuming it's the scene where Legolas and Aragorn are talking to each other, right? That scene bugged the heck out of me when I first saw it. My guess would be that Jackson wanted another scene and they added it this year instead of when they originally filmed it, and just didn't go back on location to film it.
PS-Anyone notice that Minath Tirith (sp?) looks like it's been dug out of the same mountain as Helm's Deep? biggrin.gif

#20 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:22 AM

LOTR is much better than SW. They aren't half as boring. laugh.gif

(kill me now)
(please)
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#21 Guest_Barend_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:10 AM

firstly CGI is for getting rid of cables, it is no where near replacing backdrops (sometimes it works in more mechanical backgrounds).

secondly, is the LOTR trilogy better than SW??? the first 5 minutes of LOTR:FOTR is better than the entirety of SW. (i would have had trouble saying that a few years ago but the new movies made the old ones suck!).

thirdly, if anyone here is in Sydney, Australia watch channel 31. at 10pm on saturday. I spent 5 minutes on a show called STAINED GLASS FISH BOWL complaing about the new star wars films. which is why i was glad that someone brought up the issue of wind. What's up with that? Lucas has just simply gone insane!!! not to mention the fact that now all the characters in the old films must now be insane too, because they look genuinley suprised to meet each other even though they all meet each other in the prequels. and while i'm on it why didn't Amildala change lukes' last name before hiding him on the planet his father grew up on with the same last name.
oh yeah, cause anikans a dick!!!
All Darth had to do was call Directory Assistance.
"uh, yeah, could i get a listing for Skywalker on tatooine? possibly living with my brother Owen?"

#22 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 12:38 AM

Damn! I'm in Sydney but don't get Channel 31.
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#23 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:21 AM

Damn, Barend! You're so lucky! Why don't I get invited to participate in such shows?

You are right, about everything of course. Thanks for checking out the forums, I remember your emails.

Why not register? We won't bite. rolleyes.gif

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#24 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:24 PM

i just did!!!

i knew i wouldn't be able to just walk past with one remark.

as for the rant i did on the show, the producer overheard me complaining about matrix reloaded, and wanted me to to that but i thought it would be bad because i wanted to bring a friend of mine on the show for an interview because he played 'mouse' in marix 1. but then after they recorded my brutal attack on the new SW films, i remembered that my friend also played Elan "death-stick" Sleazbagano. that should be an awkward moment.

we'll see how it goes...

as for;
"Why don't I get invited to participate in such shows?"

firstly, i got on the show originally for interview about my band, but due to unforseen circumstances i ended up hosting the show that week, and now i'm a regular.

secondly, if your ever in sydney, i'll get you on to spew at the public.

#25 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Nov 12 2003, 07:24 PM)
firstly, i got on the show originally for interview about my band, but due to unforseen circumstances i ended up hosting the show that week, and now i'm a regular.

What's your bands name? Are you playing around Sydney much at the moment?
Yoda

#26 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:31 AM

HYPOID.
www.hypoid.net
www.mp3.com/hypoid

it's a one man project. but i'll hopefully be getting a live band together next year.
but all the compilations i have been on so far have been in the states, so only a few poeple know about it down here (most of which are just other bands i have remixed for).

#27 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 November 2003 - 12:38 AM

Cool! I'll keep an eye out. Good luck putting the band together.
Yoda

#28 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:23 AM

Technology is Ruining Movies

James Pinkerton just wrote an article blasting the poor use of technology in SW and Matrix. Not an eye opener to us, but at least someone is expressing their thoughts in a cogent (though flip) manner.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#29 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:43 AM

That's a great article. Believe me, you'd be hard pressed to find a greater lover of technology than myself but I agree that technology is indeed ruining movies. Particularly of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre.

Something overly philosophic that Morpheus should have said: "Just because we have the toys, Neo, doesn't mean that we should choose to use them."

Oh, and Barend! I remember you emailing me. I emailed back to ask if I could get an interview with Matt "Elan Sleazebaggano" Doran himself (also I never realized he played Mouse as well)! You never replied! I emailed again and no reply!

I'd be dying to conduct a short email interview with him if he has the time. Do you think it could be arranged?

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 15 November 2003 - 08:00 PM

Two things LOTR have going for them are continuity and payoff. They were filmed at the same time so the look is consistent, and the annual releases are great for keeping fans interested and energized about the series. Did I mention satisfied?

the original Star Wars was so great, there was worldwide anticipation for follow ups. Each film worthy of an "ok, it took 3 years to deliver. If that's what it takes, we'll wait again"

LOTR delivers on an annual basis. SW disappoints and gives the audience three years to yawn and bitch.

And if they're lucky, find another fantasy world to prefer.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size