Chefelf.com Night Life: Why is this Forum Centred? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Why is this Forum Centred? Did I miss something?

#1 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:19 AM

That is all.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#2 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:01 AM

Looks like you missed a few of your English language classes.

#3 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:46 AM

ok i thought it was just my special computer being special again. glad its not just me.

#4 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:36 AM

I've looked it over, and am unsure of the mistake. Please enlighten me. Also, take into account that I speak English, not American English.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 26 September 2004 - 07:37 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:37 AM

He was referring to your post "That is all."

Don't worry, I know that the preceeding sentence for your post was the title of the thread. Relax. smile.gif

Personally speaking though, I might need to have English classes one of these days. Having not lived in Australia for well over a year, I don't really get a chance to talk to fellow native English speakers that much... so I'm forgetting lots of useful words and phrases. Actually, regular debating on this forum is actually quite helpful for me.

EDIT - There's an example for you. I used 'actually' twice in the same sentence before. I better learn Korean fast. Otherwise I'll end up not being able to speak even one language.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 26 September 2004 - 08:38 AM

#6 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 September 2004 - 03:09 PM

Could either jariten or Sime Sublime elaborate? I don't know what you're talking about... but if there's a problem I want to fix it.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#7 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 26 September 2004 - 05:30 PM

Uh. I'm still trying to find the error in the sentence, "That is all." blink.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 26 September 2004 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (Amber-Nicole @ Sep 26 2004, 06:30 PM)
Uh. I'm still trying to find the error in the sentence, "That is all." blink.gif

I think it refers to the spelling "centred" rather than "centered". I still have no idea what's wrong.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 26 September 2004 - 08:42 PM

Centred is the correct spelling. It is what is used in English.

Centered is the American spelling. But just because an entire country can't spell doesn't make it correct. If you want to call the language you write and speak English, then it is incorrect. The only way it can be correct is if you guys officially call your language American.

Regarding Sime's query about the forum being centred, I have the same problem.

Basically, all the threads appear in this new format where words are automatically centred on the page.

I thought it was deliberate - but obviously not. I do know it changed when you put the big Star Wars Convention sign on the top of the forum. So maybe it's related to that somehow.

#10 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:08 AM

And that I've only seen it in the StarWars forum. It's quite annoying, really. Just looks...odd.

#11 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 12:50 AM

yeah i think so too. what everyone else said. although i do like the new banner.

#12 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 27 September 2004 - 01:27 AM

At a guess there was a centre tag left open at the end of the banner. I'm just curious that Chefelf didn't see it.

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:43 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Sep 27 2004, 02:27 AM)
At a guess there was a centre tag left open at the end of the banner. I'm just curious that Chefelf didn't see it.

Ahhhh okay. Thank you. It doesn't show up in non-IE browsers so I didn't notice. smile.gif It's fixed now, thanks for pointing it out.

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer)
Centred is the correct spelling. It is what is used in English.

Centered is the American spelling. But just because an entire country can't spell doesn't make it correct. If you want to call the language you write and speak English, then it is incorrect. The only way it can be correct is if you guys officially call your language American.

I know you may be an English teacher or what have you but I'm of the firm belief that if it's in the dictionary and 100,000,000+ people are spelling it/saying it... then it is correct. Like it may be a bastardization of what is "proper" but if it's that widespread it has to reach a point where it ceases being wrong and starts being a part of the vernacular.

"Centered" is in the dictionary. "Centred" is as well.

There is the popular belief also that "ain't ain't a word". You know what? I think it is a word. I don't use it, but I know what it means. Everyone uses it and everyone else knows what it means. I think that makes it a word.

#14 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:19 AM

I'm of the firm belief that if it's in the dictionary and 100,000,000+ people are spelling it/saying it... then it is correct.

That's fine - within America. But in most other countries in the English speaking world, American spelling is incorrect. Herein lies my point.

Don't worry - I wasn't serious about calling American English a different language.

However, we need to acknowledge that there is a distinction here. Sometimes, what is correct spelling in English is not always correct in American English and vice versa.

I know you may be an English teacher or what have you

English teacher - with all the qualifications and the experience. However, some of you guys on this forum have an edge over me in vocabulary because as I said earlier, having not lived in an English speaking country for about eighteen months now, I'm losing a lot of words and phrases.

So it's likely that sooner or later, I'll make grammatical errors or spelling mistakes here.... and then you can all have your revenge and feel good about yourselves. cool.gif

And one last tiny thing, thank you for fixing the problem, Chef. Everything's back to normal now. smile.gif

#15 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 27 September 2004 - 11:35 AM

Much nicer now. And don't worry about me. I just like provoking people on the American English spelling. I have to put up with spellcheckers constantly messing up my spelling, so I tend to crack when a real person does it. I find it amusing to see who will debate their choice of spelling.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size