Chefelf.com Night Life: if the new DVD`s are such a travesty... - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

if the new DVD`s are such a travesty...

#1 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:44 PM

then who can explain this?!

DVD`s break all records

cool.gif

This post has been edited by jariten: 24 September 2004 - 11:46 PM

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:57 PM

Take away the "Star Wars" title and they'd sell like crap on a stick at a sewage treatment plant.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:50 AM

Star Wars has become something more than most movies can ever hope to become, a brand name. The DVD's will sell well simply because it has the "Star Wars" name attached to it. Most fans are going to buy these things for a number of reasons.

1. It's Star Wars and any Star Wars is good Star Wars. (ARRGH!)

2. This is the first time the original trilogy (is it the original any more?) has been available on DVD.

3. That oh so prescious fourth disc with all those cool bonus features.

4. Did I mention it's Star Wars?

I don't think the actual sales of the DVD's were ever in question jariten, I think anyone with half a brain knew these things were going to sell and sell well. But if you look at these other fan sites for Star Wars, or any site that even mentions the DVD's, there seems to be a recurring theme...
gushing reviews from the die hards, yet also the question why can't we have the unedited versions too? This board bashes Lucas and does it well, but I don't think anyone ever claimed that the DVD's weren't going to sell. We are lamenting the fact that the movies we have come to love (well Jedi does have it's detractors) are now bastardized. Is this a just a minor complaint? Apparently not, if even those who have been seduced by the dark side of George Lucas's twisted vision are asking for the unedited versions too.

#4 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:11 AM

but the DVD`s are not just "selling well", they have broken all records. from this its reasonable to conclude that SW has not lost any of its power, or that people are pleased enough with the changes that they decided not to launch a war on Lucas, or that they are pleased enough with the prequels that they like the idea of the originals being slightly changed to make the whole thing more cohesive.

i know im jumping to big conclusions here- but its one thing to sell well, its takes something much more vital, important, and lasting to break a record.

thoughts?

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:43 AM

These DVDs sell for the same reason that every book by Stephen King hits the bestseller list. And let's not forget that the public has very little taste. Look at what the intelligent reviewers and die hard fans are saying. All the reviews have ripped into the prequels. Lucas is making his money off of the same vile creatures who would go see a film such as "Walking Tall" or "Anacondas two, curse of the blood orchid" or "2 Fast 2 Furious" that demographic mixed with unfortunate fans of his and sci fi people in general is responsible for hte record breakings.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#6 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:18 AM

I'm not to sure what answer it is you are looking for jaritine. The fact that it's broken all records isn't a surprise to me. Is this going to make me buy a copy? No it isn't. Are people pleased with the changes? I think the majority of people are ok enough with them to not stop giving Lucas their money, but the fact remains even these people are asking for unedited versions of the original trilogy! I highly doubt the preqeuls have anything to do with the sales of these DVD's as you hint at...
...or that they are pleased enough with the prequels that they like the idea of the originals being slightly changed to make the whole thing more cohesive.

The fact this is the first time the originals (I still question calling them that) are available on DVD is the reason these things are selling. Has Star Wars lost any power? No it hasn't, the rabid fan base has seen to it that it's more popular than ever. The reason the preqeuls have done so well is because of the popularity of the original films. NOT the other way around!
You state:
i know im jumping to big conclusions here- but its one thing to sell well, its takes something much more vital, important, and lasting to break a record.

The truth of the matter is it's because this is the first time and only version that will be available on DVD, as I have stated earlier. But just because a bunch of others are buying it doesn't mean I will!

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:19 AM

A lot of fans would also be buying these things reluctantly. They want Star Wars on DVD and they probably think this about as close as they're going to get. Look at poor Vwing for example. He bought the DVD set. Was he happy with these new editions? Hell no! Come on, Jariten. What kind of argument is this?

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:04 AM

People who love star wars, but hate the changes, bought it.

People who love star wars, and are indifferent to the changes, bought it.

People who don't care much either way, but who collect movies, bought it.

People who run video rental houses, whether they like the changes or not, bought it.

People who bought things in the past, other products from other suppliers, paid less because things cost more now.

ETC.

PS: Using dollar figures to argue that it is good is the refuge of a scoundrel. I do see the emoticon, but really. Enough has been said here and elsewhere to the effect that the original trilogy would outsell these thigs, and they would still sell like crazy. What people WANTED were the original films, although some buyers would have picked up both. Since the originals only exist in bootleg format, many consumers still bought these damn things.

PPS: I know personally many star wars fans who won't buy them for themselves. I'd like to say I'm one of them.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 25 September 2004 - 03:05 AM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:15 AM

wasnt trying to use it as an argument, just as the basis for a discussion.

breaking all records does take SW fan base rather past the "rabid, i`ll buy anything with SW on" types though, wouldn`t you say? all i was suggesting was that these figures show the possiblities that

a. people arnt as sick of/disatisfied with SW as a lot of the media would suggest, and

b. the prequels were successful, powerful enough to firstly keep the franchise alive and secondly not drive the old fanbase away for good (as i read often in the media)

#10 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:52 AM

The prequels have nothing to do with the success of these DVDs. The original trilogy has been beloved by the world for more than twenty years. The prequels are only popular amongst thirteen home boys and for some strange reason, you.

#11 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:55 AM

The prequels kept the franchise alive? Ummm I wasn't aware the franchise was in trouble at all.

#12 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 25 2004, 02:11 AM)
but the DVD`s are not just "selling well", they have broken all records. from this its reasonable to conclude that SW has not lost any of its power, or that people are pleased enough with the changes that they decided not to launch a war on Lucas, or that they are pleased enough with the prequels that they like the idea of the originals being slightly changed to make the whole thing more cohesive.

civilian_number_two put it very well. Also, just about seven or eight years. Making people wait THAT long to get the movies on the new standard media could only result in such record breaking.

If they waited until 1997 to release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on CD, that would have broken all records too... even if they added crappy new verses, songs and an overdubbed version of Henry the Horse featuring Michael Bolton.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#13 User is offline   WhoCares Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:55 AM

One of my best friends said to me the other day that he bets his bank account that in 5-10 years they are going to come up with a box of the orginal movies, collectors edition, no changes, etc., to cash in even more. These days is all about the big bucks.

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

*inhale*

yell.gif

HOW MANY TIMES TO HAVE TO HAMMER THIS INTO PEOPLE?!?

DOLLAR SALES ARE NOT REFLECTIVE OF QUALITY....

THA MAJORITY OF MANKIND... THE HUMAN RACE IN GENERAL AT LEAST IN WESTERN CIVILIZATION... 97% OF THE POPULATION ARE BORDERING ON BRAIN DEAD... PEOPLE ARE SO FUCKING STUPID THEY'LL BUY ANYTHING...

THAT'S WHY LEAFBLOWERS ARE POPULAR...
THAT'S WHY REALITY TV IS SO POPULAR...
THAT'S WHY MOST TOP 40 MUSIC IS SO GOD DAMNED POPULAR...

BUT IT REALLY MEANS NOTHING... IT JUST MEANS THAT SOME ASSHOLE HAS CONCORED THE MINDS OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE NONE...

PEOPLE WITHOUT SOULS...
PEOPLE WHO ARE JUST A NODDING HEAD AND A WALLET!!!

SOCIETY IS FUCKED AND THEIR OPINION IS CONTROLLED!!!
IT MEANS NOTHING...

AND IS NOT AN ADEQUATE METHODE WITH WHICH TO MEASURE ARTISTIC VALUE OR QUALITY....

IF IT WERE... WOULD WE BE BREATHING CARBON MONOXIDE RIGHT NOW?

i think not!!!

#15 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 27 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

Agreed.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size