Chefelf.com Night Life: What is wrong with Lucas? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

What is wrong with Lucas?

Poll: What is wrong with Lucas?

What is wrong with Lucas?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:39 AM

One of the catchcries of people who like all the new Star Wars changes seems to be that if it is good enough for Lucas, it should be good enough for us.

Here's an example from our own forum - an interesting point that came up a few times on this board when I argued the merits of Return of the Jedi was that people who took arms against my criticising it used the argument that as it is part of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi should be above criticism.

I think there is a similarity in the thinking of Lucas apologists, in that they think if it has the name Star Wars, it is automatically good.

Nothing is automatically good. Everything must be judged on its own merits. The prequels, as with the new changes to the Star Wars DVDs, have none to speak of. Someone on this forum (not mentioning anyone's name, Jari... er, sorry) said that with the prequels, this is a subjective thing. Not at all true. The prequels have terrible storylines, flat uninteresting characters, excessive stupidity, overuse of cheesy special effects and a million other flaws. Some people like them, despite all of this... but there are no two ways around the fact that these are bad films.

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there.... where was I? Yes, everything needs to be judged on its own merits. I don't love Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back because they have that big Star Wars slogan and the giant textscrolls. I love them because they are good films.

It's unfortunate for people like you and myself that so many others out there will buy something based solely on the name that's attached to it.

Regarding The Courtship of Princess Leia, I loved it too. So there's no need to feel ashamed... and why not? It was a great read. The author's name you're looking for is Dave Wolverton. I actually considered Timothy Zahn's trilogy to be canon because it was so damn good... and let's face it, the best thing that has ever happened to Star Wars since 1980 and that's not about to change.

However, that said, a lot of the Extended Universe stuff should be burnt. And someone really ought to READ Kevin J. Anderson's submissions before accidentally publishing them and paying him money. Just how the amateur ramblings of a five year old kid trapped in a man's body got through the publishing process is beyond me.... oh wait, now I know... money. If you put Star Wars on the cover, people will buy it. cool.gif

#17 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:52 AM

I now consider Knights of the Old Republic canon. It may be just a computer game but it's a damn sight better than the PT, which is largely due to the fact that Lucas had absolutely no involvement in producing it. If only he had got Bioware to make the prequels as well..
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#18 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:05 AM

What about any of the older novels, or media before 1997? I can't think of to many I would like to consider canon, but I do recall a particular novel called "Splinter of the mind's eye" which I think is good enough to be in the running.

BTW thanks for the welcome Helena! smile.gif

#19 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys!

JYAMG, the only Star Wars fans I know think Jedi is by far the best in the series and that *gag* Han Solo is at his best in this movie. I'm glad I found a sane place with people who realize Jedi is inferior to the first two Star Wars movies. And I agree completely with your assesment of the Star Wars novels. Other than the Zahn and a few select other, they seem more George Lucas prequel-like than done in the spirit of the original trilogy

Helena, I read somewhere Lucas likes KOTOR so much he considers it part of Star Wars history. So the man still does have some sanity left smile.gif

#20 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Sep 24 2004, 11:30 AM)
Helena, I read somewhere Lucas likes KOTOR so much he considers it part of Star Wars history. So the man still does have some sanity left smile.gif

Really? If you find a link to that make sure to post it. smile.gif

That would represent some sanity left in him. KOTOR is, after all, far better in plot than any of the prequels.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#21 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:43 AM

Michel, it's funny you mention those fans who say that Han was at his best in Return of the Jedi. I get the same thing from the Return of the Jedi gushers I talk to. For the life of me, I cannot work out what they could possibly be talking about. The Han Solo in Return of the Jedi is a dull, wooden character... suddenly dopey and lifeless (maybe because of the carbonite, I'm not sure), who cuddles Ewoks. I can never really convince myself that Han's even in the movie. I can see Harrison Ford but the character from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back is noticeably absent.

#22 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 24 September 2004 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Sep 24 2004, 10:34 AM)
QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Sep 24 2004, 11:30 AM)

Really? If you find a link to that make sure to post it. smile.gif

That would represent some sanity left in him. KOTOR is, after all, far better in plot than any of the prequels.

I'll look for the link. It's been a while since I saw that statement, but I'm sure I can dig it up

#23 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Sep 24 2004, 10:43 AM)
Michel, it's funny you mention those fans who say that Han was at his best in Return of the Jedi. I get the same thing from the Return of the Jedi gushers I talk to. For the life of me, I cannot work out what they could possibly be talking about. The Han Solo in Return of the Jedi is a dull, wooden character... suddenly dopey and lifeless (maybe because of the carbonite, I'm not sure), who cuddles Ewoks. I can never really convince myself that Han's even in the movie. I can see Harrison Ford but the character from Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back is noticeably absent.

Harrison Ford is usually watchable in even bad movies, yet seeing him as Han in ROTJ is painful. Seeing the shades of what was a great character is also painful. I can't believe this is the same Han who stood proud and said "I know" to Princess Leia as he was about to go into carbon freezing. He just had none of the appeal he did in the first two movies.

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (Helena @ Sep 24 2004, 09:52 PM)
I now consider Knights of the Old Republic canon.

I think I've been one of(if not the)most vocal supporter of KotOR on these boards, but I can't quite agree with you there, for one simple reason. Battle Meditation. Everything else: The Sith Wars, the Mandalorian Wars and the war agains Reven and Malak I can accept as cannon, but Battle Meditation leaves a real large hole for me.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#25 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Sep 24 2004, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (Helena @ Sep 24 2004, 09:52 PM)
I now consider Knights of the Old Republic canon.

I think I've been one of(if not the)most vocal supporter of KotOR on these boards, but I can't quite agree with you there, for one simple reason. Battle Meditation. Everything else: The Sith Wars, the Mandalorian Wars and the war agains Reven and Malak I can accept as cannon, but Battle Meditation leaves a real large hole for me.

Why? It's true that it's never mentioned in the movies, but then the game makes it clear that very few Jedi have this ability (Bastila appears to be the only one in the galaxy at that point). Although it's a really stupid name, as I pointed out in my KOTOR parody tongue.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#26 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 September 2004 - 06:00 AM

To be honest, I have no reason why. It just never sat well with me.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size