Chefelf.com Night Life: Is it just me or is starwars the greatest - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Is it just me or is starwars the greatest

#46 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 06:15 PM

If you guys go to the forums tell me your names. I want to follow up on what you post. Also if you could tell the site moderators that I m a nice guy and all, maybe, just maybe they might let me back on. I m thinking at least 5 of you will have to do this to make my re-instating a success.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#47 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 January 2004 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jan 4 2004, 06:15 PM)
If you guys go to the forums tell me your names. I want to follow up on what you post. Also if you could tell the site moderators that I m a nice guy and all, maybe, just maybe they might let me back on. I m thinking at least 5 of you will have to do this to make my re-instating a success.

But where is that debat? Where can we find it?

#48 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2004 - 05:12 PM

My debate was "burned to the ground". Apparently I broke one or more of the following rules: flaming, multiple forum names, course language, not staying on topic.

I swore once, and flamed lucas only. I did not flame anybody on the forums. The moderators are very tight. Look under the moderated forums for "starwarskid0". They told my why I got banned but never noticed it till last day. They locked the thread immdiately after replying to it so I could not rebuttle.

The moderated forum is a place where you can ask for help or ask why you are banned. If you read other peoples pleas they get maybe a week or couple days freezing if they swear,flame, or make more than one account. I have been banned for 2 months now I think, and it does not look like they will let me back on.

My best guess is that due to my starwars bashing they will never let me back on. It's like how Capone was brought down. Not on being a gangster, but from tax fraud. They legitamately froze my account due to my multiple accounts and my one curse word. (Most people serve about 1 week's suspension for this stuff) But they are locking me away for good thanks to my Lucas bashing.

The moderators are FUCKING pricks at that forum, look out. They've called me a "troll" twice and have ignored about 15 pleas from me.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#49 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

You have my sympathy. It's hit or miss when it comes to the moderators at TFN.net. They're inconsistent, play favorites, and act as if you're beholden to them. Shame, really.

Here at my school (I'm a 4th grade teacher), I just learned of a site called ratemyteacher.com. They list hundreds of schools, and students anonymously rate teachers. Other teachers got pissed off, but after the discussion we all decided it was pointless to beat ourselves over the head over something as silly and out of control as that site. The problem is that it can actually libel the reputation of a teacher. I checked out my name and found that one student had politely outted me even though posting about a person's sexual orientation is against their TOS. I could make the site take it off, but I really didn't mind.

The problem with this site is that teachers are not like politicians or actors who choose to be out in the public like that. And especially in a profession like teaching, the potential for abuse, inuendo, and outright defamation are completely in the hands of students (many of whom are still children) who may have some ax to grind.

One thing I've learned over the years is that in matters of professional reputation (and in my personal view, matters of personal honor), you MUST respond to negative criticism directly by being professional and above the fray. Because of my boyfriend, I started listening to Howard Stern occasionally and sometimes it's hilarious because HS's minions know how to get the goat of actors, politicians, and radio talk show hosts. So while you have to respond, you also have to be tough and just say Fuck 'em! The minute you start to lose it, you play into their hands.

I defend my point of view on TFN.net vigorously and several people have e-mailed me saying that 1) I didn't deserve many of the flames, but 2) I seemed to be handling myself well.

What I like about this forum is that people care to comment here intelligently. It's not simply a hang out chat room.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#50 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 January 2004 - 01:58 PM

Well it is common on message boards with lower populations that the chat stays relatively intelligent and respectful. The higher the population goes, the more likely it is that you will have some people misbehaving. I certainly don't believe in banning people for having different views but I wouldn't hesitate to ban someone if they were being outright rude and offensive to other members.

The thing about larger message board communities is that it can tend to attract people who like to be foolish and offensive due to the very nature of message board anonymity. With this behavior comes the need for moderation. Moderation can sometimes lead to moderators that have power trips. I've visited quite a few boards where the moderators liken themselves to gods and often belittle or ban members for little or no reason.

It's amazing how such a little bit of power, in somethign so small and insignificant as a message board, can totally be abused.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#51 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:06 AM

Here is my latest plea to the moderators at the starwars forums. I took a new course of action. I went from logically debating my innocence to purely kissing ass.

In todays modern fast paced world, I'm going to take the time to stop and single out a group of people for their unprecidented exellence in the field of SITE MODERATION.

These men and women slave away on the starwars forums day and night. Their relentless strive for chat room perfection has made the starwars forums a very special place indeed.

I once new a young, good looking lad who used to chat on the forums not to long ago. He would bring up interesting points and would hold a debate like the best of them. He made multiple account names and swore once. The moderators were able to by pass all his good qualities and drill him for the crimes he had committed. It takes a keen eye and a devoted soul to perform that seemingly impossible task.

The Good looking fellow in question happens to be very close to me, infact he is me.

I put the situation of my freezing in the hands of the moderators, for I know they will do the right thing in the end.

#52 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:40 AM

Sarcasm is lost on fanboys.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#53 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:45 PM

Jordan: I don't get you, man. Why are you so fixated on carrying on an argument with a load of repulsive nerds who have to freeze you because they don't like disagreement? You seem like one of those guys who gets fixated on a girl who was no good for him just because she was smart enough to do the dumping. Or maybe more like the never-give-up missionary priest in THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE. I can't decide.

Come into the light, Carol Anne. Boycott the next film, and stop talking about the last two with people not educated enough to realize that fan fiction is superior to Lucas' new "vision."
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#54 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 03:57 PM

The thing about larger message board communities is that it can tend to attract people who like to be foolish and offensive due to the very nature of message board anonymity. With this behavior comes the need for moderation. Moderation can sometimes lead to moderators that have power trips. I've visited quite a few boards where the moderators liken themselves to gods and often belittle or ban members for little or no reason.

That's one of the reasons why I hate forum-based RPG's. I've been to a couple where the Game Masters went around talking to me like I was their slave and demanding total obediance to their own whims (not to that of the forums). Naturally, I wasn't going to stand for that so I left them to their own ends. I'll never join another one again, I'd rather play video games that need thinking (or at least, have lots of action) than sit around in a forum for months on end doing nothing but describing how my character is living his life.

#55 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

You seem like one of those guys who gets fixated on a girl who was no good for him just because she was smart enough to do the dumping

Bingo

That scares me, it really does.

#56 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 January 2004 - 08:51 PM

I know I'm showing my age.

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Jan 14 2004, 01:45 PM)
Or maybe more like the never-give-up missionary priest in THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE.

I read a comic book based on that as a young teen. It was really good. Spire Christian comics were good too, but everyone was almost too wholesome looking. Even the woman being stoned for committing adultery. I think they were done by folks from the Archies office so would explain it. Just good inspiring stories.

Back when the force was a spiritual thing? Something new and inspiring where we heard obi-wan's voice say "Run Luke, Run!?" and we thought wtf? remember?

Star Wars was the greatest.

#57 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 January 2004 - 12:01 AM

Why are you so fixated on carrying on an argument with a load of repulsive nerds who have to freeze you because they don't like disagreement?

It's entertainment.

#58 Guest_crazylikeIwannabedime_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 January 2004 - 09:02 PM

THE CROSS AND THE SWITCHBLADE.

I got a switchblade, wit a little switch to switch blades, switch it from a 6 to a 16 inch blade, shit is like a samurai sword-or-sensai. Man I can't change from dis way, Jordan catch a dick in ya ear from sideways.

Starwars is da greatest and that is that. Jordan diss the shit cause his mom is fat. Chef never get outside and sleeps all day, his ass is lathargic like a slug getting burnt in a solar ray, Behopper I dissed on a different track, the remix has his ass cut like a line of crack.

DAdime has spoken

#59 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:38 PM

Now that the Dime has spoken, we can all uncover our ears, and breathe a sigh of relief. Seriously though, why are you so incessently foolish?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size