Chefelf.com Night Life: Is it just me or is starwars the greatest - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Is it just me or is starwars the greatest

#31 User is offline   A Mighty Pirate Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 December 2003 - 05:12 AM

He's probably too busy living in his giant house and counting all his fucking money to care about what you think about his movies.

People will see them because it's fucking star wars.

End of story.

I know that they suck, but I'm going to buy a ticket to see the next one just like you are all going to do the very same.
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism.

#32 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (A Mighty Pirate @ Dec 10 2003, 05:12 AM)
He's probably too busy living in his giant house and counting all his fucking money to care about what you think about his movies.

People will see them because it's fucking star wars.

End of story.

I know that they suck, but I'm going to buy a ticket to see the next one just like you are all going to do the very same.

Not me. I still have not seen AOTC. Never will.

As for all that other stuff, yes of course. THE CAT IN THE HAT, it has been unanimously reported, is a terrible, cynical, waste of time of a movie. It has netted a big profit and is continuing to do well with its merchandising. Something has happened where the average consumer just doesn't care anymore about how he loses his money. So the average content provider (like George Lucas) isn't at all interested in creating a good or memorable product.

When I look back a the films of sixty years ago, I know there was a lot of crap, but there are some films there that are still simply great. Acting, dialogue, story, still current and engaging. In a lot of cases people were making a product that they hoped would last, even though at the time there was no real chance that it would (not many would be revived for new theatrical runs, and tv wasn't yet much of a consideration).

How sad is it that now that it is pretty much guaranteed that films will last well beyond their year of release, George Lucas has chosen to put out worthless garbage whose most vocal fans (people in forums like this one) only get toether to discuss either its least loathsome elements or to lament the films as lost opportunities.

Looking forward to RETURN OF THE KING!

Mike.

PS: Was in the video department of a music store today, and they had AOTC on. So I managed to glimpse the arena scene while getting the hell out of there with my product. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw a stadium, a massive audience, and several cratures on the floor. It seemed to me that the entire picture was CGI, with not a single living actor or natural bit of landscape in the entire frame. Not even a goddamned muppet; the entire picture was a giant mpeg. Is this right? Are there scenes in AOTC that are no more than cartoons?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#33 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:20 AM

Ok, going back to the Jedi Order, I actually liked what Lucas did to it. He shows it as an order definitely near the end of its run. When Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan are talking about Anakin, saying how he is arrogant, Yoda says, "Yes, a flaw more and more common in Jedi these days. Too sure of themselves they are, even the older, wiser ones." I also laugh every time after this, because Jules...err, Mace completely ignores him. Yoda is starin right at Mace when he says it, obviously saying it about Mace, and Mace just ignores it, I thought that was pretty funny. Anyway, back to the point, Yoda's quote is how Lucas wanted to depict the Jedi Order, as a bunch of overconfident, arrogant individuals who have a set of rules that will eventually be their downfall. The point was, in the prequels (and I really do think I would have done the same thing here) the Jedi weren't supposed to be cool, they were supposed to be ripe for the taking by the Sith. And they are. Now this doesn't excuse Episode I, the love story in Episode II, the wooden acting by most of the individuals in the movies, or the reliance on CGI in the movies, but it's one of the things that the more I think about it, the more I like that Lucas did it.

#34 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Dec 10 2003, 06:01 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw a stadium, a massive audience, and several cratures on the floor.  It seemed to me that the entire picture was CGI, with not a single living actor or natural bit of landscape in the entire frame.  Not even a goddamned muppet; the entire picture was a giant mpeg.  Is this right?  Are there scenes in AOTC that are no more than cartoons?

Nope, you got it right.

Maybe Chefelf could be enticed to whip up a "reasons to hate aotc : audio commentary edition."

(albeit viewing is money for GL) Nothing encapsulates the rage and reasoning of the SW hater as well. and believe me, the film moves faster with constant chatter.

Jedi Order: am i wrong, or do they talk of a thousand year reign? It's supposed to be a thousand generations isn't it?

#35 User is offline   Supes Icon

• Sunshine Superman
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 December 2003 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Dec 10 2003, 09:20 AM)
Yoda's quote is how Lucas wanted to depict the Jedi Order, as a bunch of overconfident, arrogant individuals who have a set of rules that will eventually be their downfall. The point was, in the prequels (and I really do think I would have done the same thing here) the Jedi weren't supposed to be cool, they were supposed to be ripe for the taking by the Sith. And they are.

You know, I hadn't really thought of that either. Thanks Vwing. It certainly does make an amount of sense when you look at it. Every empire in history has ultimately fallen and there is no reason that it should not be the same with the Jedi (although not an empire in the traditional sense). They have brought themselves to the point of complacency and their own dogma is perhaps responsible for the stagnation of their order.

We aren't seeing the Jedi at the height of height of their power. We are seeing them at the very end of the decline in their Empire. On one of the other topics there was a discussion about whether it would be good to be in the Rise, Middle or End of an empire and the discussion worked around what sort of people were in control and how things were done at each phase in this progression. It is actually obvious that the Jedi, while wanting to maintain the appearance of control and order should in fact have thing spiraling out of their control - and their vision clouded for want of a better term.

You make a really good point. Thanks once again. smile.gif
Luminous beings are we... not this crude matter.
Yoda

#36 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 07:57 PM

Are there scenes in AOTC that are no more than cartoons?
No. The whole movie is one big cartoon!!!
it may as well be jimmy neutron or shrek but with all the attention to detail of SOUTH PARK! it's totally fuct! every scene is like that. not one single out door shot.

no wait, tatooine! thats right if you're going to film in a country that is like 90% desert, it wouldn't hurt to film a shot or two outside especially if your filming for a desert planet!!!!!!!! blink.gif

unfortunatley, the one shot is anikan meeting owen (which conceptually sucks).

for GODSAKE even the pod race scene in TPM was all digital. We have places in this country that look exactly like that. but noooooooooo GL needs his computer fix (the big geek). it's too much!!!

that's why i said before that it may as well have been a prequel to 'who framed roger rabit?'

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

#37 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 10 December 2003 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Dec 10 2003, 07:57 PM)
not one single out door shot.

no wait, tatooine! thats right if you're going to film in a country that is like 90% desert, it wouldn't hurt to film a shot or two outside especially if your filming for a desert planet!!!!!!!! 

laugh.gif laugh.gif

on the audio, Lucas waxes about how in one naboo palace scene it's actually raining outside and yet, thanks to his wizards, no one can possibly notice. nope. can't tell it's raining at all. then one of his kissasses summons up some courage and tells him, well, if you look in the lower left side you can see rain drops hitting the floor. kissass 'fesses up because it's too late to change it now.

"That's what you think," dry.gif our phantom minister replies

#38 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 10 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Dec 10 2003, 09:20 AM)
Ok, going back to the Jedi Order, I actually liked what Lucas did to it. He shows it as an order definitely near the end of its run.
... Lucas wanted to depict the Jedi Order, as a bunch of overconfident, arrogant individuals who have a set of rules that will eventually be their downfall. The point was, in the prequels (and I really do think I would have done the same thing here) the Jedi weren't supposed to be cool, they were supposed to be ripe for the taking by the Sith. And they are.
... the more I think about it, the more I like that Lucas did it.

That *is* a really good point, and well put. And of course your analysis is absolutely right.

I personally wish that Lucas had not done that, since in doing so he's grounding his story in a kind of reality that frankly I don't think it's up to. Because if I've got this right, the Jedi are not such great guys. They have fantastic powers but they are essentially flawed and their society crumbles because they're becoming a bunch of jerks. Then they get destroyed by the bad guys who move in and take over. Later, we're to be overjoyed that the Jedi come back and kill the bad guys, and now it's Jedi in charge again? What the fuck?

I had a better time as a nine-year-old kid believing that sometime ago, maybe the span of a single generation, there were Jedi knights and they had great honour and power. The Empire moved in and scattered and killed them, but the honour of the Jedi was never lost. Based on one comment Obi-Wan made in the very first film, I always expected that in those days people did not use blasters, and that ther use caused the Jedi to fall. I never imagined that they died because of internal politics, or because of hubris. I figured the bad guys cheated by shooting a bunch of swordsmen with guns, probably in something called the Clone Wars (which frankly I hoped would take place in the Clone System, and have nothing to do with artificial reproduction).

Later, I was able to transfer this concept to the place of its origin, and thought about how feudal Japan was changed by the introduction of gunpowder, and how the Samurai as a class lost their significance as warfare was updated. A less civilized day was on us, and there was no room for believe in mystical energy fields. Of course, depending on your perspective, Japan was not taken over by an evil empire, but Lucas's universe was. I was able to understand that this was definitely what Lucas had wanted at that time, with Luke turning off his targeting computer and focusing on the Force. I wasn't sophisticated enough at nine, but by the time of EMPIRE or maybe a bit later I was sure that this was what Lucas had wanted. Luke turns away from the machines and back to the Force, and bam! the Empire is set to crumble as it suffers its first major loss. Now, despite the technological terrors employed by the Empire, the Jedi will return. And this, I wanted to believe, would be a good thing.

The problem is somewhere along the way Lucas forgot this, and now the past is more technologically adept than the original trilogy, and everyone uses blasters all the time, and the Jedi only fell because they were weak. But maybe when they're in power again they'll be better, right? Oh, and Yoda isn't just a dude really wise in the ways of the Force, he's also a great Jedi warrior, and uses a lightsaber and stuff.

God, my nuts hurt.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#39 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 December 2003 - 02:52 PM

"To be consistant with the story George should just have Anakin fall off cliff, Obi Wan fall off a bridge, and Yoda fall off a space ship in which he will land on dagobah.

I went to the starwars forums again and got flamed
check this out: I showed them chef's statement about how bobafett is useless and how Rick McCallum thought Boba Fett was out to get the Skywalkers.

They responed with this:

"Boba got killed because he was busy trying to kill Luke while he was standing on a skiff withy Han, Lando, and Chewie. Maybe it happened that way because Boba was obsessed with killing a member of the Skywalker family."

then someone posted this

That is true. Maybe we'll learn more in Ep3.

I then retorted in a violent manner

Oh my God, I ve seen people on TV defend the most guilty of all convicts in society.

But this is just ridiculous. HE POINTED HIS ####### GUN AT HIM ON A SAND SKIFF? NOW ALL OF a-sudden he is obsessed with killing him? This is just trash, nay, complete disregard for my intellect and also your own.

Boba Fett wanted Solo, not Luke. There is no evidence pointing to Boba Fett wanting to kill luke. And don't say that " there's no evidience not pointing to that he did want kill him" Assume the obvious, if it ain't there, don't try put it there.

After a week of debating why the movie was lacking I then recieved this nasty little comment when I tried to post a comment today

[b][i]Your account has been frozen in carbonite. The Forum Jedi have restricted your access to the message boards. When frozen, you can only view posts, but cannot edit or post new messages yourself.

It's likely one or more of your previous posts are in violation of our Terms of Service. Please review them and the Frequently Asked Questions

If you feel your account has been frozen in error, or would like to plead your case to have your account unfrozen, please post here."

Were on "www.starwars.com" can we find that debate?

#40 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 24 December 2003 - 04:25 PM

I move a vote of NO CONFIDENCE to anything officially SW

#41 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2004 - 08:28 AM

I posted the following link Lightsaber Choreography Critique: 7 out of 10 and loads of morons kept spouting that I was "arrogant" "nit picking" "not taking the Force into account". It was like walking out into a playground full of stupid, spoiled brats.

There are lots of people like that around these days. Although I'm no swordsman, and definately not a physist, I do try to logically deconstruct every movie I watch and every book I read to see just how 'realistic' it would be. I'm quite fed up with constant illogic and unrealisim just for the sake of making a 'cool' movie.

#42 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 January 2004 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 24 2003, 02:52 PM)
"To be consistant with the story George should just have Anakin fall off cliff, Obi Wan fall off a bridge, and Yoda fall off a space ship in which he will land on dagobah.

I went to the starwars forums again and got flamed
check this out: I showed them chef's statement about how bobafett is useless and how Rick McCallum thought Boba Fett was out to get the Skywalkers.

They responed with this:

"Boba got killed because he was busy trying to kill Luke while he was standing on a skiff withy Han, Lando, and Chewie. Maybe it happened that way because Boba was obsessed with killing a member of the Skywalker family."

then someone posted this

That is true. Maybe we'll learn more in Ep3.

I then retorted in a violent manner

Oh my God, I ve seen people on TV defend the most guilty of all convicts in society.

But this is just ridiculous. HE POINTED HIS ####### GUN AT HIM ON A SAND SKIFF? NOW ALL OF a-sudden he is obsessed with killing him? This is just trash, nay, complete disregard for my intellect and also your own.

Boba Fett wanted Solo, not Luke. There is no evidence pointing to Boba Fett wanting to kill luke. And don't say that " there's no evidience not pointing to that he did want kill him" Assume the obvious, if it ain't there, don't try put it there.

After a week of debating why the movie was lacking I then recieved this nasty little comment when I tried to post a comment today

[b][i]Your account has been frozen in carbonite. The Forum Jedi have restricted your access to the message boards. When frozen, you can only view posts, but cannot edit or post new messages yourself.

It's likely one or more of your previous posts are in violation of our Terms of Service. Please review them and the Frequently Asked Questions

If you feel your account has been frozen in error, or would like to plead your case to have your account unfrozen, please post here."

Were on "www.starwars.com" can we find that debate?

That's great, "Guest". I don't know how this post got by me until now but job well done. The best argument that the Star Wars fools can come up with is suspending your account. Pretty weak.

There is NO possible defense for McCallum ludicrous comment about Boba Fett having it in for the Skywalker family. It was just a stupid comment and they should either forget it was said or admit error, not try to defend it. After all if it came out of the mouth of one of Lucas's disciples it must be gospel. dry.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#43 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 04 January 2004 - 12:17 PM

That was my post, it was one of many times i did not realized I was not logged in.

I debated for awhile at the forums. I think what killed me was linking your site on my comments. I then tried to rejoin under new names, but they caught on and again froze me. When I asked the moderators why they kept on freezing me, they said " you have many account names which is violation of the terms of use, or in otherwords you're a troll."

So I then sent another query to them. " what about the first freezing when I only had one account, I was not a "troll" and you still kicked me off". I have yet to see a response.

Those moderators are real pricks. I encourage everyone here to go into the forums and try pick up where I left off. I give you about 2 days, then you will be axed.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#44 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

That's pretty weak. You can't even raise a good natured argument or discussion about Star Wars? If you aren't being offensive and idiotic I don't see the problem with criticism of the movies.

If someone came on these boards and had intelligently thought out arguments for Star Wars I wouldn't ban them. I'd consider it though. wink.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#45 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 January 2004 - 01:59 PM

Yeah I mean I love the OT but I know they are not perfect movies. Hell, NO movie is perfect and arguing that it is is ridiculous. I even liked Episode II (don't ban me!!!), but that doesn't stop me from making fun of many of the ridiculous things in it (most of which are in your reasons). I'm gonna go on those forums and see for myself if someone really criticizes the movies politely if they will ban you.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size