• « First

More Lucas... Quotes from an interview about the DVD's

#46 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 September 2004 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 22 2004, 11:32 PM)
i thought he co-wrote it with Leigh Brackett.

WHO co-wrote ESB with Leigh Brackett? Lucas? No, Jariten, from what I remember ESB was a collective effort of two writers. Sadly, Leigh Brackett died of cancer after finishing the rough draft of the screenplay. I was developed by Lawrence Kasdan. Sure as hell it was not Lucas.

And Civ is right that Lucas later on bouth the fights from Fox. They had no idea what they were doing, they never thought the film would be such a succes. They opted for the quick money rather then long term deal. Eventually, it was Lucas who was the winner commercially.

#47 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 22 2004, 01:55 AM)
while im not arguing or doubting that Lucas` craetive team were essential in bringing SW to life (otherwise why hire them), they are still only working under the tutorlige and direction of Lucas, without the germs of his ideas, and without his overall guidance, SW would have come to nothing.

Rubbish!! Lucas just got incredibly lucky. It is apparent beyond a doubt by now that it was not Lucas that made Star Wars a huge success. He had an idea, a vague concept that sparked peoples imagination, and that is his contribution. People like McQuarrie and the original members of ILM breathed life into the vision, not Lucas. The actors made the characters come to life, not Lucas. And the collaborative efforts with the script saved the OT from PT quality dialogue.

If it weren't for people like McQuarrie, Muren, Tippet, and Hamill, Ford, Fischer etc. etc. Star Wars would have, as you say, come to nothing. "Overall guidance from Lucas" my ass.

#48 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:19 AM

Rubbish!! Lucas just got incredibly lucky.

is any actual concrete evidence supporting this, or is this idea solely based on your hatred of Lucas? How can any of us really ever know exactly who was involved with what, and by how much? i`m just working off the idea that the creator of the work has a large hand in its construction.

now, as i said before im not trying to devalue the work which the artists, set designers etc. put into SW, im just saying that without Lucas, nothing would have happened.

#49 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 23 2004, 04:19 AM)
Rubbish!! Lucas just got incredibly lucky.

is any actual concrete evidence supporting this, or is this idea solely based on your hatred of Lucas? How can any of us really ever know exactly who was involved with what, and by how much? i`m just working off the idea that the creator of the work has a large hand in its construction.

now, as i said before im not trying to devalue the work which the artists, set designers etc. put into SW, im just saying that without Lucas, nothing would have happened.

Concrete evidence? I present to you a piece of overwhelming evidence: The Prequel Trilogy. Not to mention interviews with actors and staff. Kurtz for instance gave an enlightening interview that was posted here some time ago on how Lucas envisioned his movies. There was another serious article linked from this board picking apart the lie that Lucas had this grand vision. All that bullshit was made up afterwards to give him some artistic clout.

I concede to your final point of course. But it does in no way justify what he's doing to Star Wars now.

#50 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:16 AM

Concrete evidence? I present to you a piece of overwhelming evidence: The Prequel Trilogy.

if by that you mean "the PT is crap compared to the OT", well thats still a subjective take on SW based on your own personal opinions and does not constitute evidence. The fact is that it can never actually be proved. heres the only thing we know for sure- Lucas created Star Wars. Therefore, its his.

#51 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 23 2004, 05:16 AM)
Concrete evidence? I present to you a piece of overwhelming evidence: The Prequel Trilogy.

if by that you mean "the PT is crap compared to the OT", well thats still a subjective take on SW based on your own personal opinions and does not constitute evidence. The fact is that it can never actually be proved. heres the only thing we know for sure- Lucas created Star Wars. Therefore, its his.

"Subjective"? Well, using the words widest possible interpretation I suppose. I note that you not even attempt to rebuke the interview or article evidence. smile.gif

#52 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 05:32 AM

well, i wasnt really sure to what you were reffering. "theres a revealing interview with kasdan were he talks about Lucas" seemed a bit on the vague side really.

#53 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2004 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Sep 23 2004, 05:32 AM)
well, i wasnt really sure to what you were reffering. "theres a revealing interview with kasdan were he talks about Lucas" seemed a bit on the vague side really.

I didn't mention Kasdan. You're a studio plant aren't you? biggrin.gif Anyway, for your reading pleasure and education:

The Gary Kurtz Interview

Lucas the Galactic Gasbag

MSNBC on episode III

Lucas the Genius

More Lucas Genius

#54 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:52 AM

The real issue here is betrayal. For all the fans who did indeed fall in love with his "unfinished product" George Lucas's snide little comments are indeed a big "fuck you" to the fans. Now I will concede that the rights are indeed his, and he can tinker with his movies all that he wants to, but I have to disagree that these movies are his exclusively. When so many people embrace a movie to the point of fanaticism doesn't it also belong to the public? Especially if that public is the reason you have so much wealth? Those so called "unfinished products" are what people fell in love with, so is it really that much to ask for the originals to be released at some point down the road? If it wasn't for those "horrible" original releases woud Lucas have the money to finance his crappy little remakes? Lucas says he's responsible for the product, I say it's time for a new guardian. I'm sure all this is pointless because Lucas has enough loyalists to back him who are willing to settle for shit, to keep him rolling in the green. I for one will not be helping him with his cashflow. yell.gif

#55 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:00 AM

That's why we need something like the World Heritage Organisation for the preservation of classic films.

#56 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:09 AM

I couldn't agree with you more! Someone has to save the movies from their creators!

#57 User is offline   baccamon Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Baseball<br>Chess<br>Hiking<br>Star Wars<br>Science (Geology and Astronomy)<br>Mtn Biking<br>Skiing<br>Swimming<br>

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

Yes, George has entered into a state of being described by the Greeks as Hubris. He is a god unto himself.

The most telling line in that entire interview is this:

"The other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ... "

The other movie? If anybody wants it?
He's resorting to implied condescending insults.

#58 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:29 PM

Welcom, baccamon. smile.gif

Telling people that they can just have the VHS copy if they want it is, indeed, a very poor solution. We know it's on VHS. We all have the VHS copy. The point is that Lucas's insane idea to wait approximately 6 years too long to release them on DVD is the problem, not lack of availability in other formats.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#59 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:24 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Sep 24 2004, 07:00 AM)
That's why we need something like the World Heritage Organisation for the preservation of classic films.

It's too late for Star Wars, but something like that would help fight travesties like the upcoming rerelease of Raiders of the Lost Ark, wherein the South American natives are digitally altered to ewoks.

#60 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

Ah, yes! I remember that little Southpark Episode. That was fantastic... and right now, it's very relevant.

I'm glad that with the recent DVD release of Raiders of the Lost Ark, there were no changes. Very lucky. In fact, when Indy shoots the sword guy, the sword guy doesn't shoot first. And personally, I'm quite happy with it that way.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 24 September 2004 - 08:44 PM

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size