Chefelf.com Night Life: Lucasfilm Defends DVD Changes - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Lucasfilm Defends DVD Changes from SF News of the Week...

#1 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:45 AM

Lucasfilm Defends DVD Changes

ucasfilm spokesman Jim Ward told SCI FI Wire that the company strongly defends Star Wars creator George Lucas' right to make controversial alterations to his beloved original trilogy of films in the upcoming DVD release. "It comes down to what [Lucas] has said constantly, which is that he very strongly believes in an artist's right to have his work presented in the way he wants it presented," Ward said in an interview at the press preview of the DVD set in Los Angeles. "In terms of your own personal art, and how you want it to be presented, the artist has that right."

The DVD set of Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi includes changes to the 1997 so-called "special editions" of the movies, which were released theatrically. Those films in turn significantly altered the original release versions of the movies. But Ward, vice president of marketing and distribution at Lucasfilm Ltd., said, "With the '97 version of the film, or what he feels is closer to his original vision, he couldn't accomplish [certain things] back in 1977, and people either like it, or they don't. We respect that point of view. But at the end of the day George feels very strongly about artists' rights."

SCI FI Wire obtained an early copy of the DVD set and confirmed reported changes that have been made to the films since the 1997 release, when Lucas used state-of-the-art computer technology to make what he considered improvements to the original movies' visual effects. The new changes, detailed below, are largely revisions to earlier edits or changes made to include actors and character developments unveiled in the prequel films Episodes I-III. Among the changes:

•In Episode IV: A New Hope, the controversial confrontation in the cantina in Mos Eisley has been changed yet again. The villainous Greedo now fires shots at Han Solo (Harrison Ford) at the same time Solo fires back. In the original film, Solo fired first; in 1997, Lucas changed the scene to have Greedo fire first.
•Also in Episode IV, 1997's added computer-generated footage of Jabba the Hutt appears to have been improved, with more fluid motion.
•In Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, the hologram image of the Emperor has been altered to feature Ian McDiarmid, the actor who played the Emperor in Return of the Jedi and appears in all three prequel films. The scene's dialogue has also changed to clarify the progression of Luke Skywalker's training as a Jedi, as well as to acknowledge the relationship between Luke and Vader. In the original release of Empire, the Emperor's image was played by an unbilled old woman wearing prosthetic makeup, with chimpanzee eyes superimposed in post-production into darkened eye sockets, the official Star Wars Web site reported. The original voice was provided by Clive Revill.
•In Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, Hayden Christensen's Anakin Skywalker is added as a ghostly image in the final scenes of the film, alongside Yoda and Alec Guinness' Obi-Wan Kenobi. But Sebastian Shaw remains as the face of Darth Vader/Anakin in the scene in which Luke removes Vader's helmet, and not Christensen, as had been rumored.

#2 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2004 - 03:47 AM

Force.net also added that stormtroopers won't be speaking with a Kiwi accent. Stormtroopers are apparently both clones, from many different hosts, and conscripts.

#3 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2004 - 05:11 AM

well thats a relief at least. there would be a massive plot hole if Luke and Han could go undiscovered on the Death Star while dressed as stormtroopers if all stormtroopers spoke with a kiwi accent!

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:54 AM

They're gonna edit in the emperor to ESB? Christ.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:00 AM

Oh you must remember that awful new dialogue we heard a while back, surely?

#6 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:29 AM

Well, at least they're leaving the stormtrooper accents alone and not editing out Sebastian Shaw on the Death Star. I suppose we should be thankful for small mercies.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#7 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:33 AM

"small" being the operative word in that sentence.

#8 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 September 2004 - 01:51 PM

I'll be getting this load of turd... just so I can see the full extent of the bastardization that Lucas has done to Star Wars.

After that, I'll try to forget about Star Wars. I'll only remember the unedited OT (of which I only have ESB and ROTJ. I lost Star Wars a few years ago... or maybe I have to rummage a bit more on Video collection) as interesting series of Sci-fi movies that are totally unrelated to the contemporary 'Star Wars' stuff that Lucas craps out every few months.

A good thing here is that I seem to be recovering from my writers block, as I'm writing the next chapter of my story with no hassle or lack of motivation. That's a good sign when I need to start creating my own worlds and writing stories in them.

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:27 PM

what a c*nt!!!
JEsus, someone ask that fucknuckle if the beatles had held off releasing all there stuff on CD until today, and then as remixes by ministry-of-sound types how would you feel about?
huh mother fucker?!? huh!?!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jariten, don't bother defending this motherfucker anymore!!!
he's not worth your loyalty!!!

#10 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:25 AM

Ya know.. I don't think this would be that bad...

IF

you could get the originals on DVD or HidefDVD... I think that thing that pisses everyone off is that he won't acknoledge his children as they were made.. only as the result of sending them off to the plastic surgeon.

#11 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:54 AM

Jariten, don't bother defending this motherfucker anymore!!!
he's not worth your loyalty!!!

but...I...must...obey...my master...

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:25 AM

Come crawling faster
Obey your master
Your life burns faster
Obey your master

Master!!!

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Post icon  Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:14 AM

So according to that press release, Lucasfilm isn't defending the changes to the STAR WARS trilogy. They're just defending artists' rights.

Well, I'm all for that.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#14 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:47 AM

QUOTE (newsarticle originally posted by HELENA)
"Gary (Oldman) was offered, and agreed to perform in the film, in fact he was excited and looking forward to the work. The snag that made it impossible however is that this film is being made as a non-SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) film. George Lucas and gang agreed to hire Gary Oldman if he in fact would become a union buster, and perform work illegally overseas. As a resident of America, and also a member of SAG, out of respect and solidarity with the other members, he could not and would not consider violating his union's rules."

yeah Lucarse is all about the 'artists rights'

where's your god now Jar?!?!

This post has been edited by barend: 15 September 2004 - 03:48 AM

#15 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:16 AM

well if all that stuffs even true (and do we know if it is actually a fact?) i guess this is more ammo for those among us who dont think that Lucious is an actors director.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size