Chefelf.com Night Life: Now Appearing: "The Right Site" - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Now Appearing: "The Right Site" The Right Stuff + SW + Chefelf forums

#31 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 October 2004 - 12:34 PM

That's not me. It's on the first page of an image search of "a-ok". I'm implying that this comic is a-ok, you see.

And no, I wasn't waiting until my appearance to say that. I just noticed this thread today. unsure.gif

#32 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 October 2004 - 01:52 PM

Well Freakin' A bubba!

I'll try to get some more up this weekend. I need to just devote a day to move things along. Glad you found it.

#33 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 01 October 2004 - 09:00 PM

Endurance

#34 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 01 October 2004 - 11:29 PM

Hypersonic Rebels

#35 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:30 AM

Brilliant!

And - "Good ladies and gentlemen, which one of you hates Lucas the most?"

- that was just a beautiful way to close the chapter. smile.gif

#36 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 October 2004 - 02:05 AM

Huzzah, keep them comming.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#37 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 03 October 2004 - 07:35 PM

thanks Slade, ND, Movie-goer. makes it all worthwhile. Well, that and an imagined force choking of one GL to his senses.

#38 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2004 - 01:22 AM

Hooray! I have read the two last cartoons and finally I have understoon some jokes!!! Great! I think it means I am passing my bad stage and my brain has finally adjusted to the subtlety of Despondent's dialogue and I have become immune to the stupefying effects of preparing lesson plans.

Shut the force up! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif I love it!

#39 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:17 AM

Thanks Madam C.

Admittedly, I never understood a lot of the Mad mag satires unless I'd seen the subject film (or tv show.)

You'll probably enjoy this a lot more if you find and rent the subject film, The Right Stuff.

Judging by Ninja Duck's reaction, he's seen it. it really is a great film. I saw some of that From the Earth to the Moon (Hanks) project over the weekend and was curious but not mesmerized.

but for party girls, drunken pilot life, subtle (and bawdy) humor plus an actual comedia del arte troupe (the photographers,) this film has it all. Throw in old-school (gorgeous) special effects and you get the feeling you're witnessing history.

It's extra-credit, and wasn't in the syllabus. But thanks for participating. smile.gif

#40 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2004 - 12:14 AM

Despondent, thanks for the thought about renting the film. Althought the chances are slim that I will find it. First of all, I do not have a VCR, and I do not intend to acquire one. However, you never know, maybe it is on DVD somewhere.

This is perhaps irrelevant, but I might get across it in a magazine. It's been more than two year, since in Poland companies owning magazines started attaching free DVDs to magazines. It is slightly more expensive than the copy without the DVD, but still ridicuolously cheap, equivalent of three dollars perhaps. And these are genuine, legal DVDs, licensed and all. I got quite a collection of B-grade films, althought sometimes they throw in something good. I got Leaving Las Vegas last week.

#41 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 05 October 2004 - 08:54 AM

That's interesting, Madam. I used to love the "prizes" in the cereal boxes so, yes, added value is win-win sometimes. I found the DVD on amazon after passing on it at movie gallery last year. It's a 20th anniversary version with lots of extra stuff on the bonus disc. "selected scenes" with commentary of cast and crew, then again with directors, producers etc. Probably not an item one would purchase unless crazy about the "epic" film (which I've always been.) You could try the Tom Wolfe book which inspired it but I believe you're kinda busy right now. I have a copy I could send your way if you're interested. If I can find out how, maybe I can post the trailer online.

the Dennis Quaid character, which Despondent plays in my cartoon is that of Gordon Cooper. "Gordo," one of the original Mercury 7, astronauts passed away yesterday. sad.gif So now maybe he can hang out with buddy Gus Grissom (Apollo 1 fire fatality, 1967) again.

#42 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2004 - 12:41 AM

Despondent, thank you, that’s very sweet of you. wub.gif But I do not want to inconvenience you. Sending parcels is rather expensive – I have a friend in London who is sending me stuff I cannot otherwise get here and it breaks my heart when he tells me how much it costs, like fifty of sixty pounds, which converted into Polish currency is really a lot. I try to compensate by sending him things as well, but I am sure he always ends up paying more. But here, I am afraid, my greed is stronger than my conscience.

However, if you can give me the title of the book I will try to find it. I’d love to read it. One thing I always have time for is reading in English. I need to, really, so as not to forget it and learn more.

Speaking of cereal boxes – I remember now that I have recently seen two DVDs in a grocery shop attached to boxes of baking powder. Unfortunately, I have already got these films, so I was spared the necessity of buying two cartons of baking powder which I would never use. laugh.gif

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 06 October 2004 - 08:34 AM

baking powder tongue.gif Nothing like a gimmick to generate interest.

the gimmick of the book The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe is a well told tale in a stylized, humorous fashion.

You don't even get to Yeager until page 40-something, but it's such a good read. With factoids like: When Neil Armstrong got back from walking on the moon, first thing John Glenn tells him is "never pass on an opportunity for a free meal or a chance to go to the bathroom."

ok, I'm about to go to Camp McDowell now. Be back Monday. regards everyone. More toons to follow next week.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size