• (3 Pages)
  • +

Plastic Surgery No, seriously.

#16 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:48 AM

I think it gets downright comical when people alter their bodies so much that they visibly appear less and less real and more plastic. To me, it becomes less attractive. Plus, I just don't look highly upon people who place their physical appearance as such a high priority. in teh end, that skin is just holding in all the bones and guts.

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 September 2004 - 07:53 AM

QUOTE (Deven @ Sep 12 2004, 10:56 PM)
Well, there's a fine line between sucky scars and cool scars. For instance, cool scars can include: ...scar from a broken heart...

Open heart surgery. Twice. Well, actually three times, but they opend the same place twice, so only two scars. The are awesome.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:04 AM

Among sucky scars: Chicken pox scars dry.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#19 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:17 AM

QUOTE (reiner @ Sep 13 2004, 01:48 PM)
Plus, I just don't look highly upon people who place their physical appearance as such a high priority.  in teh end, that skin is just holding in all the bones and guts.

True, but that's easy to say when you don't have experience of living with a noticable physical disfigurement (I'm assuming you don't.) I took enough flak as a kid just for having red hair - I can't imagine what it must be like for people with actual disfigurements. It's easy to say that 'society should change' to become more accepting, but the reality is that this simply isn't going to happen - reactions of disgust to things that look 'abnormal' are deeply inbuilt in most people.

Of course, it's slightly different when normal-looking people choose to have plastic surgery to enhance their attractiveness. There you might argue that they're just being vain - although in some professions, such as acting, this might almost be considered a necessity.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#20 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:30 AM

What? Teased about red hair? But red hair is so hawt! You know what they say about red heads! ~_^
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#21 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:39 AM

Even More Sucky Scars: three-inch long appendectomy scars (like mine), large scars from run-of-the-mill scrapes (I have a pale purplish one on the side of my ankle from where I scraped my leg up falling in a ditch), and little thin lines or speckle-like things that are so old or just seem to pop up suddenly for no reason that you don't even remember how you got them.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 13 September 2004 - 08:44 AM

I like to tell people that I got my scars in knife fights and see how long it takes them to call me a bullshitter.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   reiner Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:09 AM

I don't have a horrible disfigurement, no, but I was harassed a lot about my weight and being so short. Plastic surgery for corrective purposes is just fine though. I wouldn't want anyone to have to live with something horrible caused by a birth defect or accident. What I was referring to were people who only develop their appearance as a means to be recognized. I've always thought it was more worthwhile to develop yourself mentally or physically as then you would have some value in society (although some of the smartest and most fit are worthless to society).

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:28 AM

Sportsmen/women, for example. What good have they ever done.

#25 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:41 AM

Sports are dumb.

It absolutely drives me crazy that entertainers make so much money, but don't really do anything that's all that great.

#26 User is offline   Zerahsedai Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:10 PM

I can understand wanting to go under the knife to correct a physical disfigurement, but most of the plastic surgery you hear of (at least in the USA) is not concerned with correcting a clef palate or whatever. They've got TV shows on several channels that glorify the choice to cut up your body soley for cosmetic reasons. I think that is vain, shallow, and stupid. Those people who do have surgery for cosmetic reasons will have to suffer my scorn, but I doubt they care. rolleyes.gif

I mean, I wanted to puke after watching part of that celebrity makeover show on MTV. Those people do not look attractive.

Oh, and I have some awesome scars on the back of my leg from when my cat attacked me one night, an incident which finally convinced me to get them "altered" a.k.a. have their balls cut off. blink.gif Anyway, my scars are claw marks about 4 inches long and a strange dark purple color- it looks like I got swiped by a crazy jungle animal or something. As a matter of fact, I should start telling people that... wink.gif

This post has been edited by Zerahsedai: 13 September 2004 - 12:14 PM

#27 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:16 PM

My little baby cousin just had surgery to correct a cleft pallete. I don't think that qualifies as "cosmetic" surgery. My aunt adopted her from Guatemala when she was a year old. She had no roof to her mouth, and when she ate, the food would come out her nose. She would have died of malnutrition had she not been adopted.

#28 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (Zerahsedai @ Sep 13 2004, 12:10 PM)
Anyway, my scars are claw marks about 4 inches long and a strange dark purple color- it looks like I got swiped by a crazy jungle animal or something. As a matter of fact, I should start telling people that... wink.gif

Claw marks? Are there three or four of them? I was thinking if there are four, you could make shameless references to Freddy Krueger anytime someone asks about how you got them.

“Whoa…how did you get those scars on your leg?”
“Have you ever seen those
Nightmare on Elm Street movies?”
“Yeah.”
(*deadly serious exp​ression*) “Well there you go.”

Of course, that's just what I would do... rolleyes.gif
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#29 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 09:40 PM

i only have three scars that i am aware of...

one on my forehead from being hit with a glass door at a squash court (it opened while i was running), i was about five or six when i got it...
it was quite big when i was a kid but it didn't grow with me so it's small, and usually takes a while to find.

second under my lip, a slight skin fold from falling down concrete stairs when i was three or four, i lost alot of blood that day.
(i once met a girl - the cutest girl in the world in fact - who had the same scar but just above the top lip)
damn! i had such a thing for her, and had till now forgotten about her...
great, now i'll be depressed for a week!

and third is more of an acidental tatoo... a green dot in my palm, from acidentally stabbing myself with a pen that had a nib 0.1mm thick.
i was holding it from above letting go and catching it from above, then on one catch it fell out of its lid and out of reflex i went to catch it but it landed on the table pointing up and i slammed my hand into it driving it into my palm, and it just hung there when i lifted my hand up...

i have never been scared from a knife fight though... i guess i'm just too quick, although i haven't been in a full fledged knife fight... but someone once pulled a butterfly knive on me and i disaramed him and threatened his 'manhood' with it... i was very proud of that manouver.

however i once had a fork fight with a biker who stabed me in the hand. but no scar...

#30 User is offline   Deven Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Randomness, bad movies, Stevin, reading, desperately praying that NYC nightlife makes a comeback before I'm too old to enjoy it, mootness and ripeness.

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:30 AM

I only have four scars (well, four sources anyway) . . .

Two scars on my leg from a dog bite
A bunch of scars on my knuckles from when an airbag deployed in a car accident
A small dot in my cheek just below my left eye where I lost a tug of war over a pencil and got the business end
And assorted burns from cigarettes (you seriously can NOT go to a club that allows smoking without getting burned at least once or twice -- it's obscene).

PS, does this remind anyone else of that scene in Jaws where Quint and Cooper are comparing scars on the boat?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size