Chefelf.com Night Life: Our favourite actors... - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Our favourite actors... The people we like to watch.

#1 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 September 2004 - 08:53 PM

By and large, I am not too concerned about who the actors are in a film I watch. I am more concerned as to whether it is a good film or not. For example, I had no idea who most of the cast were for Lord of the Rings... but it didn't matter. They were great films (the first being incredibly superb) and the actors all did a fine job.

However, there are some actors out there who I just love to watch - and if they're in a movie, I'm always keen to have a look.

My favourite actor of all time is Bill Murray. I love the man's style. He is such a likeable man and it always comes through in the characters he plays. Granted, he plays himself for the most part - but the guy does have a lot of range. But he always brings warmth and a charming dry wit to the screen. This man has never let me down. I'd watch anything that he was in, just to see what he did - I even watched Stripes because he was in it.

Next, I'd probably say Jack Nicholson. This guy is fun. He always has been - and his face is practically a trademark... he can convey so many emotions through his exaggerated facial exp​ressions, it is a very useful asset for his work. I think everyone on this forum would be a fan of this guy.

Alan Rickman - the guy is fantastic. I would not have been able to sit through that awful Kevin Costner Robin Hood film if it hadn't been for Alan. And wasn't he fantastic in that recent film Galaxy Quest?

Okay - these are just some starters. Over to you guys.

#2 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:18 PM

Hmm, this is a tough one, a very tough one.

Number one for me (and this is just based on who's coming to mind now) would be Bruce Willis. The man is just so great in everything he's in. Whether giving a chilling performance in Sixth Sense or Unbreakable (movies that I actually didn't care for too much), playing the action star in Die Hard or Fifth Element, playing a comedic role in Whole Nine Yards (a movie that he really just lifted above mediocrity with his great performance, along with Peet's performance), or playing a brooding tough guy in Pulp Fiction. He is always engaging and he has incredible range.

Number two is Tom Hanks. Yeah it's an uninspired choice, but he just is a great actor. I think his work speaks for itself, and again, he is an actor who just has incredible range.

Number three is tougher, but I'm actually going to say Matt Damon. What can I say, I think he just exudes such an air of likeability in every film is in, I just can't not like him or his performances (which happen to be excellent as well). From Good Will Hunting to Rounders to Dogma to Ocean's Eleven to the Bourne movies, he is always solid.

Honorable Mention to Jack Nicholson.

I'm also going to name my 3 favorite actors who are usually in supporting roles.

Number one is Christopher Walken, easily. He can be weird, hysterical, usually both, he's just the quintessential supporting character actor. And give the guy a break, he had that big hunk of metal up his ass for 2 years smile.gif

Number two is John Malkovich, who, though he does get bigger than supporting roles many times, I always think of him as a supporting actor. He is another actor who has great range, but is especially great in comedic roles (see, well, Being John Malkovich).

Number three is John Turtoro, simply because he's so good, I don't even know it's him half the time. I didn't realize it was he who was so hysterical in O Brother, Where Art Thou or The Big Lebowski, nor did I realize (at first) that he was in Quiz Show, and though I didn't see Secret Window, he seemed to transform into another person yet again. The only movie I think I knew it was him is Rounders, and that was only because I had seen Quiz Show before that and recognized his look from that.

Honorable Mention to Steve Buschemi.

#3 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:39 AM

I can't really think about anyone at the moment, although those mentioned(that I know)are all good. I have only ever seen John Malkovich in Being John Malkovich(and Adaption, for that matter). I would have to say that I think David Warner is quite good. He played the villans in Tron, if you remember that. But its his voice acting skills that make him stand out. His voice of Jon Irenicus(Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn)is what makes him in my opinion the best villian ever.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#4 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:49 AM

i really like bill paxton. although hes been in some rubbish, if you look over his resume its pretty impressive. like harry dean stanton, he often plays a supporting, but important role.

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

Naming only actors still working (even if only occasionally), and in no order:

Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Ed Norton, Michael Caine, Ralph Fiennes, Peter O'Toole, William H. Macey, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, John C. Reilly, Terence Stamp, Bill Murray, Gene Hackman, Ina Holm, Bob Hoskins, Matthew Broderick, Harvey Keitel, John Malkovich, Steve Martin, Campbell Scott, Owen Wilson, Mark Ruffalo, Richard E. Grant, Christian Bale, John Spencer, Ben Gazzara, Alan Arkin, Alec Baldwin, Jonathan Pryce, Woody Harrelson, Dustin Hoffman, Kevin Kline, John Cusack, and the entire cast of TRAINSPOTTING.

Just so the gals don't complain:

Dianne Keaton, Jodie Foster, Meryl Streep, Joan Allen, the entire cast of HUIT FEMMES, Sigourney Weaver, Reese Witherspoon, Cate Blanchett, Catherine Keener, Kate Winslet, Laura Linney, Julianne Moore, Linda Fiorentino, Mary-Louise Parker, Stockard Channing, everyone else on THE WEST WING, Frances McDormand, Helen Mirren, Kristen Scott Thomas, and Anne Bancroft.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#6 User is offline   Zerahsedai Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:04 PM

There are so many actors and actresses I like, but the ones that I simply have to see are:

Jennifer Connelly
Christina Ricci

Owen Wilson
Johnny Depp

If I had more time to really ponder on it, the list would probably be longer but I didn't want to just throw in any old name. smile.gif

Oh yeah, and the entire cast ot The Royal Tenenbaums!

This post has been edited by Zerahsedai: 13 September 2004 - 01:05 PM

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:30 PM

Liam Neeson, John Goodman, Daniel Day-Lewis if he ever decides to act again (his retirement ought to be ILLEGAL!).

... and that was IAN Holm, of course.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 September 2004 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Zerahsedai @ Sep 13 2004, 02:04 PM)
Oh yeah, and the entire cast ot The Royal Tenenbaums!

YES! That movie was on FX the other night. Made me wonder why I STILL don't own it. It's probably my favorite movie ever made. What's wrong with me?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#9 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:08 AM

Robin Tunney is quite good. The phabulous actress with the phuny name!

This post has been edited by Lefty: 14 September 2004 - 10:16 AM

#10 User is offline   Zerahsedai Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:33 PM

YES! That movie was on FX the other night. Made me wonder why I STILL don't own it. It's probably my favorite movie ever made. What's wrong with me?

What is wrong with you! Every time I watch that movie it gets better and better. When you go to buy a copy, make sure you get the Criterion Collection dvd, its got lots of extras.

#11 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 September 2004 - 04:08 AM

i prefer rushmore

#12 User is offline   Zerahsedai Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 15 September 2004 - 12:45 PM

Yes, Rushmore is excellent.

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 15 September 2004 - 03:16 PM

Chris Guest, Harry Shearer, Jack Black, Julianne Moore, Dennis Quaid, Fred Ward, Parker Posey. Holly Hunter, Blair Brown. Gene Hackman. the cast of 24.

"serious" actors I personally don't like: Dreyfuss, Julia Roberts, Robin Williams.

#14 User is offline   mrtimp Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 September 2004 - 11:27 PM

robert de niro
al pacino
bill murray
jon voight
matt dillon

#15 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Sep 10 2004, 08:53 PM)
Alan Rickman - the guy is fantastic. I would not have been able to sit through that awful Kevin Costner Robin Hood film if it hadn't been for Alan.

JYAMG - have you watched the TV series Robin of Sherwood? Nickolas Grace, who was the Sherrif there was fifty times better. Anyway, the whole Prince of Thieves was one big ripoff of the RoS. That is allegedly why it was called The Prince of Thieves biggrin.gif

But I like Alan Rickman, too (Col. Brandon in Sense and Sensibility )

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size