Chefelf.com Night Life: Best Onscreen Romance - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Best Onscreen Romance Put your favourites here!

#1 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 August 2004 - 01:34 AM

Ok, so the new thread. Put your preferences as to the biggest on-screen romance (including Casablanca) here. But, please, if you feel like it, include some justification for your choice – I would love to read that!

Here is my choice and why:

1. Ripley and Hicks from Aliens.

I really admire the director for the subtlety of the relationship. Look, these two barely speak to each other in the first part of the film. They hardly touch! For example, watch out for the scene when they enter the lab with the aliens, how he grabs her arm so as to prevent her from entering the first – very, very good job.

So, at least for me it is clear from the very beginning that they admire each other from the start, and at the end of the flick they are ready to die for each other. And all this without any mushy dialogue and without any on-screen snogging! Maybe I am a prude, but I can’t stand on-screen snogging, it embarrasses me as hell. I want to cover my eyes and leave never to return. So in this respect it is a perfect romance for me.

Also, I quite fancied Michael Bhien, in fact, I mooned over him back then.

2. Ginger and Rocky from Chicken Run

Here you can see that good dialogue and good directing can do wonders. Of course, both Mel Gibson and Julia Sawalha are good actors, so they contribute quite a lot (Julia Sawalha is perhaps less known, she’s British and she starred in TV series like Martin Chuzzlewit and Pride and Prejudice).
But I read that the actors actually never saw each other when they were recording. And yet, the relationship works (and I can forgive the snogging here). To me it became a benchmark of a good romance. If real actors can match these chickens, it is good enough for me. Sadly, many couples do not match the chickens (Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, naturally).

3. Han Solo and Leia in ESB

Obvious choice. They only got the third place because of the follow-up in ROTJ, where I actually wondered what she saw in him in the first place. But still the carbon-freezer scene is the best in the whole trilogy.

#2 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:49 AM

Okay....

1. Aragorn and Arwen in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. They seemed to have such great chemistry between each other and those scenes really....

ah, who am I kidding? wink.gif

Best on-screen romances....

1. Han and Leia (in The Empire Strikes Back only). This was such a realistic romance. It wasn't the usual fare of the guy and the girl instantly shacking up a moment after jumping out of a burning train.

Han really cared for Leia. And when you see all the danger and suffering he went through, you have to remember - he could have just left Hoth without any trouble whatsoever. He didn't though because he wanted to make sure Leia got to safety.

And what's great is that you can see the relationship developing as Leia comes to understand and appreciate everything that Han has done for her.

Their bonding is realistic because we saw the whole thing take place before us on the movie. There's no gaps... like for example when we see Anakin giving Amidala suggestive, stalker glances one moment and they're getting married the next. dry.gif

No, the romance in The Empire Strikes Back is real. And that scene in the freezing chamber... if that doesn't get an emotional response out of a cinema patron, I don't know what would.

2. Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor in The Terminator.

Again, Kyle did everything for this woman, when he originally didn't even know her. He fell in love with her from the future and gave up everything, including his own life, to protect her.

And once again, we see the female character coming to appreciate that so she may love the male character in return.

3. Phil and Rita in Groundhog Day.

That was just charming. It was so nice. Phil had to do everything right and change the very person he was, become a better man, to finally break out of the endless cycle of the same day over and over... in doing so, learns to love someone along the way. And in the end, he gets the girl. It's lovely.

#3 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 24 August 2004 - 11:08 AM

Ok let's see.

Luke and Leia in ANH...oh wait, never mind smile.gif

And I haven't seen Casablanca so I can't count that.

1. Forrest Gump and Jenny (Forrest Gump) - This was just so great, you have this problem girl, a rebel all her life, and this stupid but innocent person who cares for her more than anyone else, and they fall in love. One of the best accomplishments in the movies.

2. Michael Corleone and Kay (The Godfather, Parts I and II) - Just because it's a "romance" doesn't mean it can't fall apart. Watching them develop as young lovers as Michael was good, and then seeing what happens when he becomes bad just makes it that much better. One of the more interesting relationships in film.

3. Christian and Satine (Moulin Rouge!) - Well I know Civ would disagree with this, but oh well. I love how their romance is really developed through song, with Your Song, the Elephant Love Medley (that brilliantly made use of numerous songs to develop the relationship), and Come What May (the pinnacle of the relationship) to show their love. Also, Kidman and McGregor are great, whether singing not singing.

Honorable Mention

1. Superman and Lois Lane (Superman, Superman II)
2. Kyle Reese and Sarah Connor (Terminator)
3. Wesley and Buttercup (The Princess Bride)

#4 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2004 - 03:49 PM

No doubt it has to be...

1. Amber Lynn & Savanah in the "I LIKE TO WATCH"

2. John Holmes & Lisa DeLeuw in "JOHNNY WAD RETURNS"

3. Mariel Hemmingway & Patricia Donnely in "PERSONAL BEST"

GREAT PERFORMANCES IN CINEMA!!!!! smile.gif

Oh, wait a minute............ unsure.gif

Y
You mean "ROMANCES"!!!! ohmy.gif

AHEM...........yes........Romances.........ummmmmmmm..... unsure.gif

Let me get back to you on that.............. ph34r.gif

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 24 August 2004 - 04:18 PM

Adam Sandler and Drew Barymore The wedding singer
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 24 August 2004 - 06:03 PM

1. Alvie Singer and Annie Hall in ANNIE HALL.

2. C.C. and Fran in THE APARTMENT.

3. Master Li and Yu Shu Lien in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON.

4. Benjamin and Mrs Robinson in THE GRADUATE.

5. Yeah yeah, Rick and Ilsa.

PS: Honourable mention: Isaac and Tracy in MANHATTAN. hmm... three New York movies....
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#7 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2004 - 03:40 AM

Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger in DOWN WITH LOVE.

Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline in FRENCH KISS

Humphery Bogart and Lauren Becall in Every movie they shared together

Meg Ryan and Matthew Brodrick in ADDICTED TO LOVE
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#8 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2004 - 09:43 AM

Ahem, cool.gif

My list

1. Ryan Phillipe & Angelina Jolie in "Playing by Heart"

2. Meg Ryan & Billy Crystal "When Harry Met Sally"

3. Han Solo, Luke & Leia triangle in the STAR WARS TRILOGY

4.George Lazenby & Diana Rigg in " On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

5. Jack Lemmon and [I forgot her name!!} in "The Days of Wine and Roses"

6. Hannibal lecter & Clarisse Starling {an intriguing choice there!!! tongue.gif}

I am giving you guys some of the obvious well known movies.

There are a host of obscure movies that I could list but for the life of me I can;t place the names of the actors.

This will be a list in development......... : unsure.gif

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 August 2004 - 06:30 PM

Ryan Phillipe & Angelina Jolie in "Playing by Heart"

Is this the movie where Ryan comes down with AIDS thanks to a needle sharing ex-girl friend? Angelina knows and wants to date him anyways?

#10 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Aug 25 2004, 09:43 AM)
6. Hannibal lecter & Clarisse Starling {an intriguing choice there!!! tongue.gif}

You see, Mike, the choice is not intriguing for me at all. In fact, I know very well wht you picked them! There is no snogging there whatsoever!!!! biggrin.gif (for obvious reasons tongue.gif )

(And isn't the last smilie appropriate in the context?)

#11 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 06:24 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Aug 25 2004, 06:30 PM)
Ryan Phillipe & Angelina Jolie in "Playing by Heart"

Is this the movie where Ryan comes down with AIDS thanks to a needle sharing ex-girl friend? Angelina knows and wants to date him anyways?

Yeah, I think Mac is a real RP fan, because damn, that movie sucked.

Jordan, your new av is even more spankable than the last one. Over my knee you go ....
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#12 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 August 2004 - 11:22 AM

Jordan, your new av is even more spankable than the last one. Over my knee you go ....

She's so pretty! She can light up a room with her smile. Have you seen ALMOST FAMOUS? Daaaaaaamn!

#13 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 26 August 2004 - 12:45 PM

The mostly snog-free romance of "Almost Famous" isn't too shabby, while we're on the subject.

One of my personal favorite on-screen romances, however, is in Hpw to Steal a Million, my all-time favorite swinging sixties Audrey Hepburn flick. Art, forgery, Paris, and sexy, sexy Peter O'Toole. Two would-be burglers in a museum closet chock full of simmering sexual tension. Deeeeeeelicious!

#14 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

"Is this the movie where Ryan comes down with AIDS thanks to a needle sharing ex-girl friend? Angelina knows and wants to date him anyways? "

Yes.

"Yeah, I think Mac is a real RP fan, because damn, that movie sucked.

Jordan, your new av is even more spankable than the last one. Over my knee you go .... "

Actuall;y the Ryan Phillipe-Angelina Jolie romance was the only intriguing romance out of all them.

It is actually the only reason to really watch Playing By Heart. The other romances did not have the same interest or bite to them.

Actually, it was through watching this movie and hios performance , that I thought Ryan Phillipe would have made a very good Anakin. This sort of piqued my interest in him as an actor.

That being said the only Ryan Phillipe movies I have seen in recent memory
have been Way of the Gun & Gosford Park.

#15 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:32 AM

Speaking of snog-free...

There's ONE KISS in Pride and Prejudice, and it's after they're married.

And they can barely stand to be around each other the rest of the five hours.

Okay, it's not a movie, it's a mini-series (which is exactly like the book), but still.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size