Chefelf.com Night Life: Goth style is out at Wichita middle school - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Goth style is out at Wichita middle school Friday, September 3, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:55 AM

Goth style is out at Wichita middle school
August 31, 2004

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) _ At Wichita's Wilbur Middle School, the so-called Goth look is out.

Principal Cherie Crain says black lipstick, eye shadow, nail polish and hair dye are banned, along with all-black clothing. Also on the list are such accessories as studded metal bracelets and graphic T-shirts advertising heavy metal bands.
Crain says students dressing in the so-called Goth style have become a distraction -- and some younger students were intimidated.

In the past, only two or three among Wilbur's one-thousand students dressed Goth. Crain said she let that slide. But when school in the state's largest city started last week, about a dozen kids had adopted the Goth look.

One mother complained about the rule change, saying ``They're just standing around doing nothing and looking freaky.''

http://www.kshb.com/...3150714,00.html

Because if there's one thing that never changes, its all the joy that comes out of taking away a teenager's right to their individuality. Teens LOVE that!

Thanks to Amber-Nicole for this one!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:18 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Sep 3 2004, 01:55 PM)
Principal Cherie Crain says black lipstick, eye shadow, nail polish and hair dye are banned, along with all-black clothing. Also on the list are such accessories as studded metal bracelets and graphic T-shirts advertising heavy metal bands.
Crain says students dressing in the so-called Goth style have become a distraction -- and some younger students were intimidated.

*resists temptation to gnaw off his legs at the raw stupidity emnating from Wichita right now*

Since when have black T-shirts been intimidating? More people have laughed at what I wear than been afraid of it. What spineless wrecks do they have at that school then?

[/rant]
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:38 AM

Snaps to Witchita's Wilbur Middle School for sweeping in to ban Goth accessories just as the trend nears the end of its run. The newspapers can't get enough of talking about how Goth is out, that kids are wearing preppy clothes with a "punk edge" (oh joy!) and how sales at stores like Hot Topic are way down.

Studded bracelets and black lipstick are waning, and will rise again, and will wane again, and will rise again, regardless of the school board's decisions.

#4 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Being Chefelf's girlfriend has been an interest of mine for some time now. I also enjoy am interested in packing, unpacking, and organizing acres of cardboard boxes into a livable structure.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:45 AM

My favorite goth moment from high school was this dude who was, I don't know, a freshman or a sophomore when I was a senior. He wore the full-on ripped black fishnet shirt under the tshirt with the black fingernail polish and the whole getup. But what set him apart from your average, just coasting on the basics Goth crowd, however, was the white face makeup augmented with the tears, drawn in eyeliner, that coursed down his right cheek. Oh man, that kid was excellent! I was so totally bummed when I went to the supermarket one day after school and saw him working as a checkout guy, all the makeup and the fishnet and, most of all, the tears gone.

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 September 2004 - 08:47 AM

Good call. Isn't the Goth look extremely old? Like why not ban T-shirts with unbuttoned flannel shirts? Why not ban T-shirts with long-sleeved shirts underneath?

Can you actually ban the color black? That seems extreme.

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Sep 3 2004, 08:55 PM)
Goth style is out at Wichita middle school
August 31, 2004

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) _ At Wichita's Wilbur Middle School, the so-called Goth look is out.

In the past, only two or three among Wilbur's one-thousand students dressed Goth. Crain said she let that slide. But when school in the state's largest city started last week, about a dozen kids had adopted the Goth look.

One mother complained about the rule change, saying ``They're just standing around doing nothing and looking freaky.''

http://www.kshb.com/...3150714,00.html

Don't they have school uniforms over there? At our school, students weren't allowed to wear makeup of any sort, and had to wear the school uniforms whilst they were there(and on the way home). Jewellery was limited to one stud/sleeper per ear lobe, on bracelt, one cross and a watch. I honestly can't see how they can be having this problem at all. So much for disipline.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 03 September 2004 - 09:55 AM

School uniforms aren't that widespread here in The States. It's more of a private school thing. Some public schools are adopting it but it's a vast minority as far as I know.

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Jen @ Sep 3 2004, 08:45 AM)
I was so totally bummed when I went to the supermarket one day after school and saw him working as a checkout guy, all the makeup and the fishnet and, most of all, the tears gone.

BELLBOY!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   jyd Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:29 AM

public school uniforms are pretty rare, and i think people wearing their collar up should be banned, its so stupid. whats the next style? the fly down?

#10 User is offline   K1NGWARREN Icon

• Devil Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:11 AM

Goth look: out.
Elf look: in!

#11 User is offline   Jen Icon

• Mrs. Chefelf
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2004 - 11:11 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 3 2004, 03:17 PM)
BELLBOY!

Ooooh, I smell a refernce that has eluded me!

Civ No 2? What am I missing?

#12 User is offline   Lefty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Post icon  Posted 03 September 2004 - 12:29 PM

Just in, Woolgrommet Parochial Invitational Factory of Knowledge has banned frilly Elizabethan-era collars, fancied by many a fop or dandy to increase the diameter of their neck.  Said one such individual, with a newly-exposed and pale throat, "Oh, this is a bit of a sticky wicket!  Strip'd of mine frilly neckrill, I feel quite the monkey's jabrillicutti!  Pip pip chaps, I must away and conceil my gulliver with shame."

(sorry about that, it went on so long I'm not sure who i'm making fun of).

<subtext>i think it's about banning things as they wane in popularity</subtext>
<iknewthat>shut up!</iknewthat>
<okalready>can't we all just get along?</okalready>

<thebetterangelsofournature>I want a cream-cicle.</thebetterangelsofournature>

#13 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Jen @ Sep 3 2004, 11:11 AM)
QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Sep 3 2004, 03:17 PM)

BELLBOY!

Ooooh, I smell a refernce that has eluded me!

Civ No 2? What am I missing?

Well, I'll say no more than this: you live in a real city now, so run out and rent QUADROPHENIA as soon as you can. Like, NOW!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#14 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 03 September 2004 - 04:08 PM

Don't they have school uniforms over there?

Uniforms? ~shudder~ That would be a nightmare!

I like the non-extreme goth style. On guys mostly. it's pretty when guys have the gelled hair and a black Tshirt and black cargo pants. My favorite goth at my school is this guy:

His hair is a nice dark blue color, though you can't tell in the picture. smile.gif

I have a former friend who sits behind me in my 4th block class. We still talk, but she started hanging out with the goth crowd, and turned retarded. She wastes away the class making anarchy signs with safety pins and attaching them to her clothes or her purse. She had a bag of them the other day, and told me she bought them at Hot Topic for 12 dollars. blink.gif She also goes in the bathroom before class and huffs her inhaler that she's supposed to carry on her because she's has asthma ever since we were little. And pops caffeine pills. If you want to do drugs, fine, but can't you atleast make it seem a bit more sophisticated? "My drugs of choice are caffeine pills, antibiotics leftover from my dad's sinus infection, and my asthma inhaler." Dork. dry.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#15 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 03 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

Is that the idiot who thinks Goth is a religion, AN?

Anyway, this article made me laugh. I plan on going to hang out at that school sometime. You know, just to cause trouble. I think I can give them some sort of black-overload or something.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size