• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Obi-Wan's Training of Anakin ROTJ dialogue vs. AOTC action

#46 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:27 PM

all im saying is who cares what a source book says about the movie, it doesnt change the coherence of the later movies WITHIN the movie. so its entirely irrelevent except as an academic debate, its not a valid criticism.
and i point out obi is clearly older than vader to show there is NO continuity error in the movies; no matter how old or young the characters are so long as they are the proper age with respect to each other. you may not like Lucas's choice, but thats your problem. and no matter how many other books turn up, there is no contradiction in what is said about obi's training of ani.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#47 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:59 PM

What, with the way canon is structured today, the Star Wars Sourcebook is laughable. It's like comparing John Pearson's James Bond: The Authorised Biography of 007 to Charlie Higson's Young Bond series: they're both licenced properly, but there can be only one... devil.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

#48 User is offline   Toru-chan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (xenduck @ Jul 15 2007, 05:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
all im saying is who cares what a source book says about the movie, it doesnt change the coherence of the later movies WITHIN the movie. so its entirely irrelevent except as an academic debate, its not a valid criticism.

Lucas claims he had the entire saga planned out from scratch; that he wasn't making it up as he goes. The Sourcebook debunks that. That's the point.

(And heck: ROTS isn't even consistent within itself)

#49 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 15 July 2007 - 06:58 AM

oh geez, having something planned and having something finished are incredibly different things. show me where Lucas said he had already thought-up Plo Koon back in the 70's. now that would be bullshit. but saying you have an idea, or a "plan" means, well, that you have a "plan"; not a finished product that will never, ever, ever, change and will be exactly the way you envisioned it 20 years ago becuase concepts, circumstances or new ideas, would never arise or impact the execution of a plan at all.

to my knowledge, (however limited) Lucas never claimed to have FINISHED writing any of the prequals 20, 10 or 1 year before they were released. what he had was an idea, a sketch, a rough draft. and an over-zealous and highly comercialized demand for more story too soon created the mess of source book "contradictions".
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#50 User is offline   Bond Icon

• Agent 007
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Limited Members
  • Interests:James Bond, Star Wars, Harry Potter

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

Honestly, I respect your opinions, but is there any real need to cling to old or broken continuity? It's finished; no longer needed, it is sweeped into the dustbin of history.

The greatest trick George Lucas ever pulled was convincing the world this sourcebook didn't exist.

POOF!

And, like that... it's gone. devil.gif
IPB Image

You only live twice:
Once when you're born
And once when you look death in the face.

--Ian Fleming

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size