• (4 Pages)
  • +

Jariten`s challenge try it you might like it

#31 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:36 AM

Okay. Thanks. I'll go with the sandpeople taking shots at the podracers for 1 Million. Lock it in. smile.gif

#32 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:24 PM

like the cgi anikan/pod rising upward hundreds of feet into close view, sunglint (I think,) and then disappears (from memory.) I liked that part. that was a moment of the race.

but "yeah! the podrace was cool," I find no substance in that argument either.

#33 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:29 PM

I thought Qui-Gon burning a hole through the blast door with the lightsaber looked kind of cool. That's about it though.

#34 User is offline   Esco Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:I love playing baseball, fishing, spending work day ripping on the SW prequels, hanging out with my wife, going to church, working out, writing music, producing music, watching movies, going for long walks (with wife), hanging out with friends.

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:41 PM

ok, I'll chime in with my thoughts, but first I feel I must explain a little.
Yes, I found the prequels offensive. But not nearly on as personal level as many other posters here have taken it. I was really wishing for good flicks, but was sorely let down. Now, that being said, I found some nuggets of Star Wars-eque moments in each.

TPM:
1. I personally loved the first 10 minutes of it, with George just highlighting the Jedi and their abilities. The force run and pushes started things out right in my book.

2. The look of Tatooine: It felt like we were back in Star Wars for a brief moment there. Unfortunately, the events that went down there weren't very OT like.

3. The Emperor unmasked: I had personally never seen the actor who played Palpatine unmasked, and found it rather cool to see him and recognize him without all the makeup.

4. Darth Maul: I know I'm in the minority here, but I found him to be a great and sinster villan. The fact that he said little only added to his mistique. I too was pissed when they knocked him off, seeing that he could have been the villan for part II as well, completely removing the need for Dooku.

ATOC: I found it harder to like this movie as a Star Wars movie, but easier to like as just a SciFi flick in general.
This is what I did like:

1. The slums of Corsucant: for a few brief minutes, after Anakin crashes his speeder into the streets of Corsucant, we get to see some quick glimpses of the grimy and dark streets and slums. The colors and contrasts that are shown look great (abeit not StarWars), but cool none the less. It would have been nice if George would have shown a few more minutes of footage there to help flesh out that nice look that he had going.

2. The grace of the Kaminoans: I liked the way these aliens moved and looked. Again, not Star Wars at all, but cool cgi.

3. The industrial section hideout of the Sith: This has to be without a doubt my favorite scene of all ATOC. Being a big fan of music and scores, I couldnt help but notice that even the music for this was grim and depressing. The look of the scene: the dark use of reds and orange coupled with the old and rustic look of the section only added to the "darkness" of the scene. Unfortunately, again George in his utter stupidness, made the scene about 30 seconds in its entirety. But man, were those 30 seconds nice! This while the "love scenes" take up about 45 MINUTES of the films clock. Only George...

#35 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:49 PM

for the record, heres my two favourite bits.

TPM-

the farewell scene, the "dont look back" dialogue (became more potent in light of the events of AotC)

AotC-

loved almost all of it, but the opening night highlight for me was were Obi jumps through the window and grabs the droid. the coolest thing i`ve ever seen on screen. after that its probably when the battle droids stream out into the arena. the camera slowly tracks left, and hundreds of jedi come running in.

#36 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:53 AM

three things eh...?

hmmm....

TPM
1. Kiera Knightly
2. Natalie Portman
3. The cinema served beer
AOTC
1. Christopher Lee
2. Matt Doran (only out of support, not conceptually)
3. The Cinema served beer

the popcorn wasn't too bad either...

#37 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:32 AM

I watched part of TPM last night. I fell asleep after the dinner scene.

there was a scene where the jedi slash the battle droids, and one battle droid which is lower torso/legs only was walking around as the scene changed. That was cool.

If QG wanted JJ to come along as navigator, why did QG say "the force will show us the way..." ?
I'm nitpicking. Supporters of the PT nitpick as well.

#38 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 08 September 2004 - 08:32 AM

And I'd forgotten about the threepio type drink droid on the trade fed ship.

Anikan must have ordered a robot-in-a-box kit. With all those common looking droids around (for some 30 years at least) it's no wonder Lars cannot differentiate C3P0.

"Hey look. It's a VW Beetle." "So it is. I had one in college, man I'll never forget that car."

#39 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 September 2004 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Sep 8 2004, 08:32 AM)
And I'd forgotten about the threepio type drink droid on the trade fed ship.

Anikan must have ordered a robot-in-a-box kit. With all those common looking droids around (for some 30 years at least) it's no wonder Lars cannot differentiate C3P0.

"Hey look. It's a VW Beetle." "So it is. I had one in college, man I'll never forget that car."

That would make sense if it wasn't for this:
If a company can mass produce a robot that knows six million languages, it wouldn't advertise in the back of a comic book (which is what I likened it to) and be in the price range for slaves.

#40 User is offline   Little Jerry Seinfeld Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Speed Baggin'

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Sep 7 2004, 02:53 AM)
three things eh...?

hmmm....

TPM
1. Kiera Knightly
2. Natalie Portman
3. The cinema served beer
AOTC
1. Christopher Lee
2. Matt Doran (only out of support, not conceptually)
3. The Cinema served beer

the popcorn wasn't too bad either...

great choices - kiera knightly is hotter than macdonald's coffee... before the lawsuit.

your cinema served beer? did you see this in europe? you lucky bastard. i could have used some jack daniels shots during these films. line 'em up, george!

was i the only one that thought christopher lee looked like a TOTAL TOOL using force lightning?? and, that was a CGI head on his body during the medium shots dueling anakin... so, no points for me.

#41 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:43 AM

Jerry, concerning Christopher Lee, you have to remember, that the guy is eighty or something. These antics with lightsabre might have done him some harm. Besides, who cares. With CGI Yoda doing Kung-fu the scene could not have been more spoilt for me.

#42 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:50 AM

you can buy beer in every movie theatre in Japan (at least the ones ive been too). you can also buy beer and cigerettes in vending machines though, come to think of it.

"much to learn, you still have"

#43 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:06 AM

Sydney Northshore Cinemas...
Mosman, Cremorne, and even Warringa Mall.
all serve beer...
but no where else in sydney, that would be crazy...

#44 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:28 PM

Hey kids. I'm PUnishing myself by watching TPM, recorded last year. I'll give into 2 almost decent moments from the farce.

wind howling, music up, feel the heat as Anikid shouts "It's WORKING! IT'S WORKING."

But props retracted when C3P0 carries Annies banner. I'm sorry, I guess I'm going to read about how noble and historic that moment was, didn't work for me.

what was that other moment? Can't recall. I still can't believe Jar Jar got his hand out of the engine in time. It's like every one was content to shut up and watch the hilarity. Even Padme took her sweet time.

Trade fed suv transport dozes trees, flies harmlessly over JJ and QG.
Quadrinero's pod explodes. Quad is run over by nearly all the racers, is not harmed.

Oh yeah, then there's the line that precedes "when I met your father he was a cunning warrior"
Obi-wan: (para) "Why do I have the feeling you've picked up another pathetic life form"

BOONTA! BOONTA! BOONTA!

Jedi council. "always with you the pop tarts it is"

#45 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 13 September 2004 - 01:46 PM

ok, I remember now.

"I'm sorry I didn't finish you with coverings," Anikan says goodbye to childhood toy.
"I'll make sure Mom doesn't sell you"

the thing that was cool about that is that it was seen through threepio's eyes.

what posessed Lucas to do that I'll never know.
Oh, yeah, his genius. guess I'm wrong again.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size