Chefelf.com Night Life: Casablanca - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Casablanca nude photos of

#16 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 27 August 2004 - 03:23 PM

I've read several hilarious reviews of Battlefield Earth. I'd actually quite like to see it, just to see if it's as bad as everyone says it is.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#17 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:25 AM

"Play it, Sam" is so not a famous line. He may not have said "Play it again, Sam" in the movie, but that's the line that's famous, dammit.

I found Citizen Kane boring. I also found Casablanca a little boring, but I was ten when I watched it. I don't know; I think it's just so much a part of our culture that we sort of absorb the whole thing by osmosis and then watching it is kind of redundant. I know exactly what's going to happen. I wish I could erase all references to and opinions of Casablanca from my mind, and THEN watch it, and see what I think of it. That might cause brain trouble, though.

That's why obscure movies are better. You can form your own opinions.

#18 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2004 - 12:27 AM

You're right, Laura. "Play it again, Sam" is the line that's famous but this is because of years of misquoting. I'm sure if everybody had their memory refreshed by watching the film again, this problem would be rectified.

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 29 August 2004 - 12:28 AM

#19 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:18 AM

I beg to differ. "Play it again, Sam" is a famous line, no matter how it originated. The fact that it wasn't in the movie doesn't diminish its quality as a useful out-of-context phrase or cultural reference. Trying to get people to say "Play it, Sam" is like trying to get people to not split infinitives: prescriptive, rather than descriptive, and annoying. If I know what you mean when you say it, I don't care that it's not "correct".

Of course, the difference between conversational and formal holds for quoting as it does for grammar, and I'd expect anyone writing a critical analysis of the movie to get the quotes right. But culture evolves, and there's no reason why it should not.

#20 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

My God, Laura! You've been doing a lot of thinking about this. Take a hat. Take two. You can win. Honestly, it's not that important to me.

#21 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2004 - 11:03 AM

I'm not trying to "win," I'm just stating my opinion.

I can't say anything around here.

This post has been edited by Laura: 29 August 2004 - 11:04 AM

#22 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 29 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

Okay, sorry, Laura. unsure.gif Friends?

#23 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 29 August 2004 - 10:03 PM

I like you Laura.

"You played it for her, you can play it for me!"
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size