Chefelf.com Night Life: Reccomended Reading - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Reccomended Reading Thoughtful? Absurd? Tell us about it!

#1 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:06 PM

I have to reccomend the Principia Discordia, and it's über companion the Apocrypha Discordia. The Apocrypha is exponentially better than the Principia. But they both posess a certain genius. Hail Eris! Fnord! All hail Discordia! et. al.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#2 User is offline   Xeno_Akhur Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 01 December 2003 - 10:41 PM

The book The Illuminatus! Trilogy is a really good book to accompany the Discordia books.
oh and on the topic of Discordianism, everyone should join the Xenoism sect of discordianism. Come on, all of the cool people are doing it, don't you want to be a part of the group, *insert other generally used peer pressure phrases*. Even Slade has taken up Xenoism although he doesn't know why.smile.gif

#3 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:16 PM

When I was young I used to think The Death Gate Cycle was really good, and it is, if you can ignore the gaping plot holes and inconsistencies between the seven books. I swear, the authors need to write a revised edition of that sucker...

#4 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 02 December 2003 - 04:54 PM

It's true, I'm in the Xeno Cabal at the moment. Although I'm seriously thinking about founding my own Cabal once I head off to college. I want to have it sort of underground, so when random people on campus start getting straightened paper clips in the mail, they don't know it's the Legion of the Flaming Shadow (A division of the Legion of Dynamic Discord [A Division of the Paratheo-annametamystickhood of Eris Esoteric]).

Gaping plot holes and inconsistancies usually ruin my opinion of literature and movies.

I also reccomend 1984, by George Orwell, if there are still any who haven't read it.

#5 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 02 December 2003 - 05:15 PM

I am currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (I found it at the library! Yay!!) and it is brilliant, as one would expect, and also as one might not expect. I also still have yet to finish Yahtzee's novel, as well as the Principia Discordia (as recommended by this board.)
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#6 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2003 - 09:26 AM

I hope to continue work on The Day Everything Became Dead soon, I'm not really reading anything right now though.

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 December 2003 - 04:16 PM

More people should read THE PYRATES by George MacDonald Fraser. As much as I enjoyed PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN, what that movie should have been is made clear by Mr. Fraser's book.

Oh, and anyone who likes 1984 (fantastic book, best opening line of any twentieth-century English novel) would probably like BRAVE NEW WORLD by Aldous Huxley. The writing is not as good, but the predictions made about the dangers inherent in our society are far more apt.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#8 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 December 2003 - 08:20 AM

Both books are good, and both ring true in many ways today.

#9 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 04 December 2003 - 03:34 PM

Yes, they do, sadly. Yeah, that's all I've got, but it's all we need.

#10 User is offline   Enhasa Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:I’m sorry, but all questions must be submitted in writing.

Posted 06 December 2003 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE (Emu @ Dec 2 2003, 05:15 PM)
I am currently reading The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (I found it at the library! Yay!!) and it is brilliant, as one would expect, and also as one might not expect.

The Hitchhiker series is brilliant and can be appreciated on at least two levels: the humor and the satire of science fiction.

Books I read most recently:

Stranger in a Strange Land (Robert A. Heinlein)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep (Philip K. Dick)
The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. LeGuin)
Neuromancer (William Gibson)
Jacqueline

My Home Page

videogamesprites.net

“All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu. This is the truth! This is my belief! ...at least for now.”

#11 User is offline   Slade Icon

Posted 11 December 2003 - 09:14 PM

Hey! I've read the Earthsea books by LeGuin. Hitchhiker's Guide is on my list.

And you have a quote from Chrono Trigger for a signature thingy. Rock on! But then again, your name is from CT too. That was one boss RPG.

And speaking of floating islands, I'd like to reccomend Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift. It's slow in spots, but gets the biting social and political satire of the human race across. We're so barbaric! Although that's not a fair word to use, since it's latin for foreigner (well, is derived from it, anyway.), and being foreign is only bad if your ethnocentric, like the ancient Romans. Although the Houynnhms are over-rated. If that's the idea of perfection, I don't want it. (The whole train of thought they use, not being horses. I couldn't care less about that.)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked