Chefelf.com Night Life: Recipes - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

Recipes A place to share your unique concoctions

#1 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 28 December 2004 - 08:32 PM

I thought it might be appropriate to start a recipe thread, as these forums are hosted by a chef and all. Don't know if any of you like to cook, but I'm trying to motivate myself to make more stuff from scratch. If you have any recipes to share, I'd welcome any suggestions. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 28 December 2004 - 10:36 PM

There's a recipe for "party franks" which are those little sausages, cooked and served in a heated sauce that can be made with half yellow mustard and half redcurrant jelly.

You can do better than that. Get the big sausage (Bryan's smokey hollow, beef, is what I use) and cut it yourself, into wedges. That way there's more outside meat. Place on skewers and bar-b-que. Once cooked (you can also use an indoor grill appliance, or pan fry. Whatever sears the meat,) put sausages in a saucepan with the prepared sauce. (If they're burned, it won't matter.)

Sauce: go wild and add (to the yellow mustard and redcurrant jelly) whatever you have that adds both spice and sweetness to keep the taste buds bouncing back and forth. Vinegars, some dijon mustard, honey mustard, (any mustard is ok) bbq sauce, various jellys, syrup, spices. Be inventive. Just use a tiny bit of each because you don't need a whole big batch. Just enough to coat the sausage wedges (which should fill the saucepan halfway at least.)

It can get drippy, but it will get raves too. A serving spoon and plates keep it simple.
For taking to a potluck I use a stoneware bowl and preheat. You'll also want crackers, toothpics and napkins.

--

I live in an area where we take bar-b-que quite seriously.

#3 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 29 December 2004 - 04:35 AM

There's my "Appaling Mess I Call An Omlette" recipe, crudely based on a recipe I found on the good old Internet. Its perfect "I've got sweet f.a. to eat but eggs and cheese" food.

1.) Take an egg or two, depending on the size of your frying pan, and whisk up with some milk.

2.) Add some worster (sp) sauce and grated cheese.

3.) Melt some butter in a frying pan. Groan as you realise you've added way too much butter, then throw in your mix.

4.) Fry until it seems solid enough to flip. Scrape it away from the frying pan with a wooden spatula, and flip it.

5.) Swear profusely as the bloody thing crumbles to pieces.

6.) Try and make sure that the parts have all been flipped, then leave to fry.

7.) Remember that you're supposed to cover an omlette at some point, and bung the first lid you can find over your frying pan.

8.) Serve when black with grated chedder.

9.) Pretend it tastes good.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#4 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 29 December 2004 - 05:43 AM

Heccubus' Chilli O' Doom:
-Ground beef (as much as you feel fit)
-1 package of Club House chilli seasoning
-1 half of a medium sized green pepper
-tobasco/chili pepper sauce
-fresh black pepper (preferably the kind that comes in the little grinder)
-dried chili peppers
-enough tomato sauce to make the chili look like, you know chili (it varies, according to your tastes)
-1/4 cup water

Obviously, you brown the beef first, and leave it simmering in the pan while you add the tomato sauce and water. Mix that up, and add the chilli seasoning. Cover and let simmer on LOW heat, so that things get nice and mixed up flavour-wise. While this is going on, dice the green pepper, and add it to the chilli. Then add the dried chilis, sauces, and black pepper to suit your own tastes. Trust me when I say that this is the finest chilli that I've ever had, and I'm not just saying that because I make it. It's filling, spicy, meaty, and the recipe is easy to modify to suit your own spice tolerances.
As a side note, this recipe won my grade 11 Foods class chilli cook-off. To be fair, however, the rest of the class was utterly incompetent in the kitchen.

#5 User is offline   electricprune Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Theremin playing, experimental music, cable access tv, amateur photography, indie film, hula hooping, blueberries, yogurt, macaroni and cheese, walking long distances, psychedelic music

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:20 PM

Thanks guys! Here's a new experimental recipe I just tried recently. They were intended to be cookies, but turned out more like biscuits or scones. Oh well, biscuits they are then!

Moon Rock Biscuits

Whatcha need:
1 cup flour
1/4 cup dried oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 cup raisins
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon nutmug (or other optional spice)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit

2. Mix the flour, oatmeal, and baking powder together in a bowl. Throw in the butter and stir, leaving the mixture a little lumpy

3. Add the sugar, raisins and nutmeg to the mix and stir together. Add one beaten egg and stir. If the batter is too dry add another spoon or two of margarine.

4. Form the batter into small spheres, about the size of golfballs onto greased cookie sheet. Should make between 8-12 biscuits.

4. Bake approximately 15 minutes

I may have mixed up the order a little bit. I have a tendency to improvise when I cook. I think they taste fairly decent, although maybe a tad dry. Maybe i should have added a little milk.

#6 User is offline   Al Creed Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 December 2004 - 12:04 AM

Kraft Dinner A La Al

First, MICROWAVE the noodles in water. Don't boil them, boiling ruins it.

When the noodles are done, strain and put in the cheese powder. Next, put in EXACTLY 1/4 a cup of milk. Next, take a small spoon and and put one scoop in. Mix, and sereve (for best results, eat entire bowl by yourself).

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size