• Last »

LOTR trilogy TTT is worse then FOTR and ROTK is not a

#31 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:57 AM

Jordan... can you understand why your comments pissed me off?

Not really, but they did, and I thought I apologized already for tainting the thread.

I tried to like the movies. I even forced myself to warm up to Hidalgo, but I still think he is wrong for the part. I hated the fighting. The movies looked great-the final movie was good up and till the rohan horse charge. After that it dragged on for another 50 mins of boring fighting. The orcs looked good, but were too weak. I tried to jump on the band wagon and love it, because everybody else did. But I just can't.

Movies adapted from books I read, and loved, always seem short and full of holes. The emotions I felt during the book are never there during the movie. The Bourne series was good though. Supremacy was way better than Identity- Just like in the novels.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#32 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:58 AM

Oh come on. before this turns into the flame war that became of our very fun TEMPLE OF DOOM page, Moviegoer, you have to admit that asking a guy to stop posting in a forum is not the right way to respond to a non-personal comment like "FOTR was boring as shit."

You took it too far too soon, and his reaction was natural: first he posted a shocked comment, and then you got all up in his face, so he told you (and me, I noticed, but he took it back, smiles) to go fuck yourself.

Boo hoo to the both of you.

Now get over it and talk about the movie why don't you.

------------------

PS: Jordan, I don't know what it is about your new avatar, but I just want to bend you over my knee and give you a good spanking! Damn!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#33 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:58 AM

Anyway Civilian, while I am waiting on Jordan, I understand what you are saying about the ents because of the nature vs technology theme. I'm just saying that it is possible to have the fall of Isengard without them.

Okay, your point about Shelob is well-taken. But Frodo and Sam needed something to do in the second film... and going to Osgiliath does not cut it.

#34 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:00 PM

If you have anything to say for yourself that may win you back some respect, say it now

Who do you thing you are? If you don't like me- One tear. I'm 22, yes, and I swore!

I might not be so good with words like you civil , chef, and everybody else here, but I'm mature in many other areas.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#35 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:01 PM

Okay, sorry, Jordan. I over-reacted. Yeah, everyone's right.

Please bear in mind that I have a tiring job teaching little children all day (who are occasionally very irritating) and I make my posts here in the dead early hours of the morning.

Okay, back to the films.

#36 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:01 PM

PPS: Nice post Jordan. Of course, you're nuts and FOTR rocks the motherfucking house, but it's your opinion so what am I gonna do, SPANK YOU?
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#37 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:04 PM

PPS - Good night, gentlemen. I'm exhausted now and it's 2.00 am over here. See you next time.

#38 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 12:07 PM

Case Closed?

I don't want any bad blood here because I enjoy this chatting community. But if I feel that I've been "dissed", I'm gonna step up.

I chose the picture because I'm i love with her. Her ma and pa live near us. I might have a chance.

Good nigh

#39 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:54 PM

Wow, what a lot of traffic in my thread. You guys make me blush with all that “secret crush” stuff... wub.gif
But Civilian made some very good points. I am just going to reply to shortly to some of them now, because I still have my next batch of reasons to post.
Ents. I did not say Ents are unnecessary. Yes, they are vital to the story, in fact I was a little disappointed that in the theatrical version in was not Hurons who crushed the orcs. You cannot do without Ents. I just said that I was disappointed with the execution of the theme. The voiceover by John Rhys-Davies was booooring, and I did not like the look of Ents, too much like bad book illustration. And the dialogue and plot! Treebeard says that Merry and Pippin are “little orcs”. Now, how dumb is that? M&P, a pair of really nice-looking blokes cannot be taken as orcs. Next, T. says, that he will take them to the White Wizard, and he’ll know whether they are orcs or not, and it is implied, that they met this WW guy. And then Ents go on the Moot, and during the first day they established that M&P ARE NOT orcs. Gee! Aren’t they brainy! Tolkien described them as “slow”, but as opposite to “hasty” not “mentally slow”.
Bitching Theoden. I admit I cannot understand your comment on that. Why do we need Theoden established as a villain?
Women and Children. I agree with you about women and children in keeps. I just found it curious, that they needed such a long way to get there. Don’t you think they were vulnerable as hell going like that? And they did get attacked. And it just struck me that in both cases they departed from the books. Tolkien has women in children hidden in the mountains, away from the fighting. Should the keep fall, they can seek refuge somewhere else, just flee. I do not find it that implausible. And in siege techniques, were it was possible they tried to not to have too many people inside, in case the siege was prolonged and they run out of food.
And please, remind me, where Tolkien described a siege of Osgiliath? I was going to devote a point to that, because according to my knowledge Osgiliath was very much absent from the books, it was just a reference to a place. I will wait with my point then, maybe I am mistaken there.
Eovyn sparring with Aragorn. Honestly, JYAMG you didn’t like it? I am surprised. It is soooo COOOL smile.gif . Anyway, you are right, Eowyn is naive and inexperienced to talk like that. Well, she does do some stupid things later on, like disobeying her uncle and going to war. Of course, she can be reasonable and say “ well, Aragorn is not the last guy in the world and I am pretty sure to get someone sooner or later, no need to risk my young life. I will just sit here and see what happens.” Quite reasonable, isn’t it? But she would not be Eowyn any more. The dialogue is not the first rate, again. They took this dialogue out of the books (mixing register again, but never mind) to show that she is desperate to get out of her cage at all cost, to show to the world that she is “a shield-maiden, not a dry-nurse”. And to show some good sparring. I like it.

And, wow, JYAMG, doesn’t it show that you are a teacher smile.gif . I am doing my second degree in English right now, and there are some teachers in my class... Spanking, indeed. Quite a topic during the breaks between the lectures smile.gif

Final comment. You see, I decided to join this forum, because I haven’t seen too many people telling other people to f%^&* themselves. Please, let’s keep up the high standards and please do not descend to the level of some other internet discussions...

Anyway, here are more reasons for you to dissect...

23. A Curious Propensity of Various Members of the Cast to Fall off Great Heights
Did anyone, even for a split second, believe that Aragorn was going to die after the fight with the Wargs? Especially, when we all knew, even those that had not read the books, that he was the heir to the throne of Gondor, and the next film is called The Return of the King? What sort of suspense is that? For the sake of the fall itself? The writers seem to love it. We have Gandalf, then Sam falling down the hill, then Aragorn, and in ROTK we have even more swan-dives (Denethor, Gollum). I half expected somebody would jump down the cliff over the Rohirrim’s camp in ROTK.

24. Arwen Disguised as a Horse (very cleverly at that!)
The horse Brego was perhaps the greatest mystery of the Theatrical Version to me. Where the heck did this horse come from? As it was followed by a shot of Arwen kissing Aragorn and hissing something about the Grace of Valar (whatever that is), I assumed that this horse was sent by Arwen especially with the purpose of finding Aragorn and getting him out of this plight. Well, in the books she did send him a horse, albeit of a different name (Roheryn, as I recall), but I accepted the change of the name and for a while I was happy with that. Of course, the explanation was included in the EE, and as it happened I couldn’t have been more mistaken about it. Why the director included this horse, not providing the explanation of its presence in the first place? To puzzle poor people in the streets like me? Or because they did not bother coming up with a good plot without holes the size of Mount Doom?

25. Arwen Continued.
You could almost feel how desperate the writers were to introduce some more Liv Tyler to TTT after they scrapped the idea of her travelling to Helm’s Deep. I quite understand them – if you hire a beautiful, accomplished and famous actress like Liv Tyler, you want to use her. The whole story does not work, alas. One minute she swears eternal love to Aragorn, the next minute her father talks her into leaving. And she actually leaves! What a suspense for all those who read a book! What dramatic tension! I knew immediately that some deux ex machina solution would be used to turn her back. No plausible explanation could have been possibly devised.

26. Showing the Ending in the Middle of the film
I can’t really understand why we get to see Arwen’s fate in a quite moving and beautiful scene of Aragorn’s death right in the middle of the film. Wouldn’t that be a better ending of the whole trilogy rather than the overwhelming felicity prevailing in the ending of the third part? Compare the ending in the books – not quite so self-complacent as in the film. After Sauron is defeated and the king established, there is still blood to be spilt and plights to be suffered. Since we did not get Scouring of the Shire, I think it would be more in the spirit of Tolkien to show that you DO have to pay the price for everything and things are never what they used to be.

27. Superfluous Voiceover
The voiceover by Cate Blanchett in the middle of TTT was unnecessary. Hey, we knew that Frodo suffers, we knew that Elrond sent the Fellowship of the Ring and did not deigned to go with them, we knew that war is starting. Galadriel did not really have anything important to communicate to the audience. It was done because it worked in the first part. And to whom is she talking, anyway? Elrond? Does it mean that they communicate? How? Oops, I forgot – magic again.
If it was really necessary to include Cate Blanchett (so as not to waste her presence on the set), would it not be more logical to show that it was Galadriel who found Gandalf after his fall, robed him, gave him the new staff and gave him the necessary information about what happened to the fellowship?

28. An Unforgivable Omission (IMHO).
There is a line in the books that is really funny. When the Gondorian soldiers find Sam and Frodo in Inthilien, one of them says, that these two cannot be Elves, because Elves are “wondrous fair to look upon”. Sam retorts “Meaning we’re not, I take you”. Now, this is really funny, one of the few funny jokes in the books. How come that they did not include this line? Instead Faramir asks if Sam is Fordo’s “bodyguard”. I am sure “a bodyguard” is a term that Gondorian ancient aristocracy uses quite a lot.

29. Faramir
Faramir is my favourite character from the books. I was curious to see how the writers handled him. They did what they could to make his brother more amiable than in the books. So, before seeing the film I re-read the part of TTT where Faramir talks about Boromir and I noticed that it couldn’t be left as it is – what Faramir does in the book is plain slamming of his brother in front of total strangers. He says “I can well believe that Boromir, the proud and fearless often rash, ever anxious for the victory of Minas Tirith (and his own glory therein), might desire such a thing [Isildur’s Bane] and be allured by it.” Well, it is not exactly a praise, is it? Given that Boromir was really a nice guy in FOTR, Faramir would not say anything like that, I expected the character to be different in the end. But I did not expect the hatchet-job that was done to him. Faramir wanting the ring for himself? Again, EE gives us a little insight into his motives, true. But still it did not work, and I hated it. Gone was the noble prince, and we get a petty jealous younger brother instead.

more to follow...

#40 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:18 PM

What are you doing? Breaking down every thing from the movie? I'm lost. I went to that website and it's just another fan site. How does it tie in with what you're writing?

#41 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:16 PM

By the way, one thing about TTT that was a bit strange to me that I just noticed. I just watched TTT for the umpteenth time the other day, when Gandalf, after he "dies" but is sent back, wakes up (he coughs suddenly like he just came up from drowning), he doesn't have a robe on. Where does he get the robe, and the staff? Is there a Wizard Gap, or does he make them himself, or what? I didn't quite understand that.

I'm trying to think of some things to say that Civ didn't say here already about TTT. I can't. Damn you Civ!

#42 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 13 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

But for the record, I am wondering.... we all agree about the alterations Peter Jackson made on Faramir, right?

By the way, Madam Corvax, I loved this point about Arwen that you made...

One minute she swears eternal love to Aragorn, the next minute her father talks her into leaving. And she actually leaves!

So direct, simple and true.

And I wanted to comment on the thing about Brego, the horse that rescues Aragorn. You need to see the scene where Brego is introduced for the other scene to make full sense. In the Extended Edition, as we know, you do see this scene.

In the theatrical version, you don't. It is because of things like this that the Extended Edition is far superior to the theatrical version. It doesn't leave you lost.

Some more examples:

1. The orcs who joined up with the Urak-hai band that captured Merry and Pippin.

In the theatrical version, they are just suddenly there. And the audience is wondering "Where on earth did these guys suddenly come from?"

In the Extended Edition, you see the orcs join the Urak-hai and it only takes a few seconds. I can't understand why they cut it out for the theatrical version.

Either way, they didn't need the other orcs anyway. I would rather have seen an Urak-hai chase Merry and Pippin into Fangorn, than that horrible creature in the movie that amazingly did not look like ANY other orc species.

2. Eomer and the Rohirrim.

The people of Rohan are not introduced well in the theatrical edition. We have to wait almost until Eomer is banished from the kingdom before someone (Wormtongue) bothers to tell us his name.

In the Extended Edition, we find out very early on - as Eomer finds the site of a battle where many Rohirrim were killed. We learn that Eomer is a lord and we learn that Theodred is the king's son. Seeing Eomer find him on the battlefield was a better way of introducing the dying man, who never got a line.

Why did he die incidentally? Are we supposed to assume that Wormtongue poisoned him or something? I cannot remember much detail from the books but in the movie, he looked like he was going to recover.

Having said that though, I will admit to sharing your opinion, Madam Corvax, about having Theodred's funeral scene in the Extended Edition. It's meaningless to us, the audience... we hardly even saw him. And Eowyn's singing? Madam, that must be worse than the stew scene, surely!

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:08 PM

What? Eowyn sings? (like Princess Leia I certainly hope not; giggle, as Carrie did.) And the Stew scene? I simply have to see these EE's. Haven't stumbled across such at the local video-rama yet and "stuck" with the theatrical dvd of TTT a buddy gave me.

fortunately I'd read the books a couple of times, so a lot of this wasn't requisite viewing. (But I love the conversation.) I did see the white tree (or something like it) at the Olympic festivities earlier.

#44 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2004 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Aug 13 2004, 03:18 PM)
What are you doing? Breaking down every thing from the movie? I'm lost. I went to that website and it's just another fan site. How does it tie in with what you're writing?

something, presumably Beowulf-style in a tongue that is supposed to be an ancient language of Rohan.

And sorry about using EE a lot, but without seeing EE it is just as Movie Goer said – there are too many plot holes, and the answer to many questions would be “ah, but that is explained in EE, you know”. That is also why I do not want to start on ROTK – EE has not yet been released, and I don’t want to waste my money on the theatrical version.

I got my EE s both for FOTR and TTT from Amazon. I even asked a friend in London to order them for me, so as to avoid having Polish dubbing *shudders*, which you would get if you order them in this shitty country.

And bad though the singing scene was, it was still not nearly bad enough as the stew, IMHO.

And now, enjoy the new reasons. BTW, I am still waiting for Civilian to give me the answer concerning Osgilliath, before I move forward to that one!

30 “What news?” “Theoden’s people have fled to Helm’s Deep”
How come that Faramir, in Ithilien, some hundreds of leagues from Rohan, knew that they had fled to Helm’s Deep? Magic again? Even if we assume, that they knew it from Denethor, who uses Palantir, I still very much doubt if he could use Palantir go convey these news to Ithilien in turn.

31 “It will grieve you then to learn that he is dead”
Faramir says these words both in Theatrical version and EE. Frodo asks how, and it only takes a few seconds in EE for Faramir to answer that they found his horn cloven in two, and that he knows it in his heart anyway. Yet, in TV we did not get his information. Oh, surely, the addition of these three seconds to the theatrical cut would have ruined the box office completely, Mr Jackson.

32 Sub-standard special effect.
Again, it is a small detail, but did you notice how unnatural the scene looked, where Frodo and Sam are questioned by Faramir? You could see clearly that the little figures of Fordo and Sam were in forced perspective. I think it is quite unworthy of Mr Jackson to give us that crap.

33 Legolas the Helm’s Deep Coward
Of all participants of the siege, it is the Elf who gets cold feet about fighting, and is suddenly concerned that the filthy humans are outnumbered by orcs and they will all die. How cool is that? Legolas is the epitome of coolness in the film, surely he would not be scared? Hey, don’t you know, silly, that you cannot die, because you still have another film to make appearance?

34 There and Back Again with Ents.
While the siege of Helm’s Deep is in full swing, the editor and director decide to relieve the tension by inserting in most inappropriate places quaint little scenes of Treebeard going to and fro with Merry and Pippin. First Ents do not choose to go to war, and Treeberd is taking Merry and Pippin to the western border of the forest: then Pippin decides that it would be mighty wise if they go SOUTH, past Isengard, because there will be little possibility of Saruman spotting them “because it’s the last he’ll expect”. And thus the Ent spots that those nasty orcs and Saruman are burning the trees and goes mad! Oh, no, really? And how clever of you, Pippin. But was this twist really necessary? Wouldn’t it be easier just to stick to the original? Also: Legolas goes chickenshit, and of all characters Pippin is suddenly the hero?

To be continued...

#45 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 August 2004 - 07:00 AM

sad.gif Sorry, something strange happened to my post. A bit in the front went missing The whole content, up to the reasons, is to look like that (I was not able to edit it...) Sorry :

Jordan, where have you been? Haven’t you noticed that it is exactly what I am doing? Breaking down the movie to little pieces. Now, you have read Chefelf “Reasons to hate“ Prequels, haven’t you. This is my humble effort to emulate his idea with TTT. And the website (I assume you are talking about warofthering, right?) contains a good review of ROTK, so I decided it is pointless to repeat it, and just give you the link.

You see, I am a fan of Tolkien, and I loved FOTR, like most of people I know. Now, with TTT I did not like it, and a lot of people did and I like to know why is that. I don’t say just “Oh it’s boring”. I like to analyse things and share with other people. I thought it was obvious to everyone who hangs around the SW forum, especially to you, because you seem to have been around so much longer than I.

And if you have problems with my postings, please take into account the fact that I am not a native speaker. I try not to make too many mistakes, I usually check the meaning of words which I use, so as not to offend anyone due to a bad choice of vocabulary. But if you are offended, or puzzled, please make allowances for me.

Vwing – you are absolutely right about Gandalf. See my reason 11 and 27.

Despondent – yes, Eowyn does sing in an additional scene in EE, at Theodred’s funeral. I mean, she rather chants an “epic poem” or something, , presumably Beowulf-style in a tongue that is supposed to be an ancient language of Rohan.

And sorry about using EE a lot, but without seeing EE it is just as Movie Goer said – there are too many plot holes, and the answer to many questions would be “ah, but that is explained in EE, you know”. That is also why I do not want to start on ROTK – EE has not yet been released, and I don’t want to waste my money on the theatrical version.

I got my EE s both for FOTR and TTT from Amazon. I even asked a friend in London to order them for me, so as to avoid having Polish dubbing *shudders*, which you would get if you order them in this shitty country.

And bad though the singing scene was, it was still not nearly bad enough as the stew, IMHO.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size