Chefelf.com Night Life: AIM Security Hole - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

AIM Security Hole Bad News Bears!

#1 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

It seems that there is a flaw in AIM that could allow a hacker access to unsuspecting users' systems. Any AIM users out there should be wary of this, and avoid leaving the program running.
I'm not sure if it affects Gaim users or not, but us AIM-ers should be tip-toey for a few days.
As far as I know, AOL has not yet issued a patch for it.

#2 User is offline   Amber-Nicole Icon

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:52 PM

Even if you only talk to people you know personally, and you have absolutely nothing on your computer that anyone would want to hack? blink.gif

My most important files consist of a whole bunch of mp3's, WIN-penguins (the cutest program ever), and pictures of James Marsters! wub.gif
"And there's not a bloody thing the king of Sweden can do about it!" -Ninja Duck (Hey, somebody had to use it. ~_^)

#3 User is offline   mrRobinson Icon

• Network Guru
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:14 PM

There is a beta out which i believe address's the issue. However once it is released aim will popup informing you to update. Gaim is NOT vulnerable and neither is Trillian (which I use). I would take this opportunity to switch to one of them.

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (mrRobinson @ Aug 11 2004, 05:14 PM)
There is a beta out which i believe address's the issue. However once it is released aim will popup informing you to update. Gaim is NOT vulnerable and neither is Trillian (which I use). I would take this opportunity to switch to one of them.

Hear, hear. I've been using rogue AIM clients for so long that I forget how dreadful the AOL client is. Whenever I'm at a computer that uses it I am overcome with instant sadness.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:39 PM

I dislike both Trillian and Gaim, actually. I've no problem with the regular one, since I never have the actual AIM window open anyway, and don't care about all of its "features".

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size