Chefelf.com Night Life: The Phantom Edit - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

The Phantom Edit have any of you seen this????

#16 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:36 AM

I see. Okay, yes - back to Star Wars. But I do look forward to having a few more Lord of the Rings fans to talk to in the movie forum.

#17 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 11 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

The version of the Phantom Edit that I saw was lousy. Poor edits, bad sound, etc. I don't ascribe brilliance to any phantom version of TPM simply because it excised Jar Jar Binks which is an arbitrary critereon on which to judge EP 1.

I highly recommend IMAX if you want an abbreviated and visually stunning version of TPM.

This post has been edited by njamilla: 11 August 2004 - 03:59 PM

Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#18 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 August 2004 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Aug 10 2004, 11:06 PM)
editing is a highly underated practice...

good or bad, it can easily make the difference between a truley wonderfull movie and a trully crap one... seriously

You're absolutely right. This is part of what made the original trilogy so great. One of Lucas's gifts used to be his editing skills. I don't know what happened to them over the years.

The original trilogy is very well edited, tightly cut, fast paced and exciting. The prequels, for the most part, are plodding and awkward by comparison.

QUOTE (njamilla)
The version of the Phantom Edit that I saw was lousy. Poor edits, bad sound, etc. I don't ascribe brilliance to any phantom version of TPM simply because it excised Jar Jar Binks which is an arbitrary critereon on which to judge EP 1.

I hightly agree. The main changes as I saw them (and it's been about three years since I saw it so correct me if I'm wrong) was in drastically reducing Jar Jar's screen time and editing out a lot of Anakin's stupid dialogue such as "YIPEEE!" and "Whoaaoaoaoaoa!" and "Spinning is a neat trick!"

While those changes certainly only help the movie, they don't do quite enough to make the movie watchable. That's not to take anything away from The
Phantom Editor. He/she did the best they could with what they had.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#19 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (njamilla @ Aug 11 2004, 03:58 PM)
I highly recommend IMAX if you want an abbreviated and visually stunning version of TPM.

Are you Serious?!

QUOTE (Chefelf @ later that day)
"Spinning is a neat trick"

Oh, yeah. I almost got excited there. thanks.

(Everybody knows fly in a straight line) tongue.gif

#20 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:27 AM

(Everybody knows fly in a straight line) 

Too true! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Just your average movie goer: 12 August 2004 - 03:27 AM

#21 User is offline   njamilla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Black belts: aikido, kendo, iaido, jodo. 1987 World Fencing Championships, World University Games participant. Writer: novelist, freelancer. Interestes: Renaissance, religious history, turtles.

Posted 12 August 2004 - 03:01 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Aug 11 2004, 09:28 PM)
QUOTE (njamilla @ Aug 11 2004, 03:58 PM)

Are you Serious?!

Yeah, I'm serious. I agree that editing is crucial to the final showing of any film. But if you're over the I-hate-the-PT POV and want to see a decent edit of the film, take whatever future opportunity to see it in IMAX. The IMAX format forced an edit. And apparently GL didn't do the edit, so maybe this "phantom" edit would be a better substitute to the unofficial phantom edits.

As for the format, I really appreciated 1) the costumes which you could see in spendid detail, and 2) I was also much happier with the acting (perhaps because the faces were 2 stories high). Editorial decisions were made to shorten the movie, but there were also a lot of "cropping" so the frame looked better in the squarish format of IMAX. Also, the sound system was great.
Author: Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe.

#22 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:10 PM

Well it'll never come to Birmingham. (maybe Atlanta, but probably not worth the drive)

We do have an imax dome, but it's part of a science museum. They will only show "educational" films so that they can rake it in with school busses full of kids on "field trips." They would not dare cross the line with Fantasia 2000, but they will show films like Mark Twain's Missouri, which does not appeal to me as an Imax film. And I grew up in Hannibal, Mo; Twain's boyhood home!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size