Chefelf.com Night Life: Comics becoming movies - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Comics becoming movies Should they really be made?

#31 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:33 AM

I saw some of Batman, clicking channels last month. I took a little notice

I think the inversion device was in the middle of the room, not the closet. I noted it was disturbing that he got out of bed
with her
to do what?

I'm sure there were lots of great lines. the one that caught my attention was, all together now,

"Wait'll they get a load a' me!"

#32 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Sep 4 2004, 03:17 AM)
Ang Lee's directing is FABULOUS. I love the split-screen stuff, and it is so confidently filmed.

Please, please tell me that you were being sarcastic. I thought Ang Lee's directing was the single worst part of the film, and absolutly loathed the transitions.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#33 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 06 September 2004 - 01:54 PM

Sime, please, please tell me that you were being sarcastic. I thought Ang Lee's directing was the single best part of the film, and absolutly loved the the transitions. smile.gif It achieves 2 things. First of all, it makes it like a moving comic book, which I thought was fascinating, showing different angles of the same scene or showing different things happening and then bringing them together in one (especially in the helicopter scene I thought that was great, when it combines with the tanks into one shot). Even someone who didn't like the film I think would like the directing, it was just so well-executed and intriguing. And like I said, made you feel like you were watching a moving comic book, which I thought was very cool.

#34 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 06 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Sep 3 2004, 10:52 PM)
I'm just going to point out that Batman DIDN'T kill the Joker in the first movie.  He tried to save him, and the Joker's hand slipped.
I read that somewhere up there, and can't remember who said it, but consider yourself corrected either way.

Yes, Batman tried to save Joker by weighing him down with a several hundred pound gargoyle.

Makes sense to me.

As for Batman being realistic, I see where that could be coming from, as the characters actually have a bit of depth, but it's not realistic when The Joker makes a hand buzzer that can burn every square inch of someone's flesh off. Or when the Batmobile's hubcap has a bomb that can destroy a huge chemical plant within seconds. It's waaaaaaaaay over the top, and I love it.

This post has been edited by Stongbah: 06 September 2004 - 09:46 PM

#35 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:36 AM

Vwing, I have to say that you are the first person I have heard say that they liked the direction.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#36 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:29 AM

By the way, and seriously this isn't to be funny, you're the first person I've heard who didn't at least admire the directing. I've told a bunch of people to see it who didn't because they heard it was bad, and even if they didn't like it like I did (which I will admit was a few of them) they did think the directing was cool.

#37 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 10 September 2004 - 11:26 AM

Thats interesting. Complete polar view. I was really excited that Eric Banna was in it. He was brilliant back in Full Frontal.

#38 User is offline   Give Me The Originals Dammit Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 25 September 2004 - 03:45 AM

I think comic book movies are pretty hard to translate to film. For instance I think people may forgive the most outrageous plots in a comic book, but trying to translate a comic story onto the big screen with live actors may tax most people's suspension of disbelief. Not to say that all comic book movies are horrible, but the most successful one's seem to have more of a human element to them than just a bunch of action and special effects. (Good writing sure helps a lot too.) Anyway I present for your pleasure / displeasure my Top 10 List for best Comic Book movies.

1. Superman
2. Spiderman 2
3. Spiderman
4. Superman 2
5. X-Men
6. X-Men 2
7. The Crow
8. Men in Black
9. Batman (Tim Burton)
10. Unbreakable (I know it's not based on a comic, but it IS a comic book movie)

And Just for kicks my Top 10 hated Comic Book movies.

1. Captain America
2. Catwoman
3. Punisher (Dolph Lundgren)
4. Punisher (the one with Travolta)
5. Men in Black 2
6. Daredevil
7. The Hulk
8. Batman Returns
9. Batman And Robin
10. Batman Forever

#39 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:46 AM

they made captain america? and two versions of the punisher?

im with the `ang lees direction on hulk was bad` crew. the main problem i had with it was the comic book gimmicks seemed to be really out of place next to deadly serious (and dull) nature of the film.

#40 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:43 PM

I hate to resurrect an old topic like this, but I just saw Hellboy on DVD a few days ago. Since then, I think I've seen it over a dozen times, not including watching it with cast and director commentaries.

I. Fucking. Love it.

I love it.

I thought the story and characters were brilliantly done, and Del Toro did a brilliant job overall with it. I've even gone out and bought some of the Hellboy comics both because I loved it so much and I wanted to see for myself how the movie compared to it (I've only been about to get Conqueror Worm and Weird Tales 8, though, so I don't have much to go on).

Hellboy has rocked one of my many fantasy worlds. And I don't care what anybody says to the contrary, that movie (and the whole premise of it) kicks total ass.

I need to go look for more comics now...
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#41 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:10 AM

I thought it was a good movie, but it was a bit shallow. I've never read the comics(actually, I've never even heard of Hellboy before the movie), but I think the concept could be better fleshed out. Basically, I want more. Sadly, comics aren't really an option for me.

#42 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 29 November 2004 - 09:06 PM

Actually, I think the movie was more fleshed out than the comics, at least as far as some of the characters go (Liz, Dr. Broom...). At least that's what I picked up from the DVD extras.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
XD

#43 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 30 November 2004 - 12:11 AM

I meant more the background, with the sleeping gods and the wars with hitler and the like. Would've been nice if there were more demons, too.

#44 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master

Posted 30 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

...DAMMIT!

I had managed to put that in the back of my mind and forget about for the time being while I was focusing on characterization! Now that I've been reminded, that's going to be bugging me for god knows how long - I'm a back-story nut.

I think I should be fine unless I start thinking about Rasputin...

blink.gif

...DAMMIT!

XD

#45 User is offline   Brick McRunfast Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 11:04 PM

I wanted to see li'l Hellboy beat Robo-Hitler to death with his own leg. Stuff that dreams are made of . . .

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size