Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Emergency Powers What's the deal?

#16 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 06 August 2004 - 06:26 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Aug 6 2004, 01:10 AM)
The Republic should have had its own standing army, not because of constant warfare and attacks from outside - but as a contingency for all eventualities.

Exactly.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#17 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 06 August 2004 - 07:35 AM

A few quick points:
Yeah, maybe they Should have had their own army, just in case. However, I can certainly understand how, after a thousand years of peace, an army might not be such a big priority to the people of the Republic. It probably just sort of got whittled down over the centuries.

I would say one of the big reasons we have an army today is because we are still very actively involved in fighting wars, and stuff like that. If the world entered a realm of relative peace (save for a few morons deep in the jungle, and the occasional corrupt crime syndicate), I would imagine we'd have little more than local police forces and maybe a National Guard for emergencies. Maybe we'd keep a standing military for a while, but after a thousand years, i doubt it would be nearly as big as it is now, if it even existed.

#18 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

You're probably right - but cutting back on defence is one thing, getting rid of the army altogether is another. It would be a somewhat short-sighted move, to say the least.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#19 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:02 AM

I think all these attempts to make sense of things are foolish. We may as well try to debate why the quickest way to Naboo's capital was through the planet core. The simple point of it is Lucas didnt think anything through.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#20 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:38 AM

And this is the answer to ALL the contradictions and things that don't make sense. Thank you, J M.

#21 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:27 AM

And it's much better then simply saying "A Wizard did it".
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#22 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 09 August 2004 - 03:16 AM

No no, Lucas' excuse is that whenever something odd happens in the prequels (or the ot now) that it was the dark side clouding their judgement.

Why did they give him emergency powers? Dark side clouded their judgement
Why did Leia not mention that her mother was the best clothed woman in the galaxy? Dark side clouded her judgement
Why do all hte star wars movies now suck? Ermmm gotta go oil my jowls.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size