• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

St. Patrick's Play

#1 User is offline   Jen & Nate Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

March rolls on and the countdown to being able to enjoy our backyard, a yard that really only exists in our imaginations, is nearly over!

Elliott at Kids' Table

I decided last week to set up their kid table for use to eat dinner rather than just for arts and crafts. Elliott took to it immediately, enjoying the idea of being able to put his feet up on the table, something he never did even once when the table was ten feet across the room.

New Dinner Table Disaster

This quickly turned out to be a disaster as they spent most of the time just pushing the table across the floor into their brother until one of them began crying.

Martin is Late for Snake Practice

Martin became obsessed with wearing his stuffed snake in the manner of Jake the Snake Roberts. He then ran over to the door yelling, "Bye! Bye!"

Martin is Late for Snake Practice

He desperately tried to make his escape. I'm not sure what his endgame was. I can only presume he was late for snake practice.

Kale Salad with Fig Tahini Dressing

The healthy eating streak continued with this kale salad with fig tahini dressing.

Baked Chicken Breast with Julienned Zucchini "Spaghetti" and Boiled Potato with Broccoli Stem

I also made an oil-free baked chicken breast (a term I have always despised) with zucchini "spaghetti" and a mixture of boiled potato and broccoli stem topped with a light dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Broccoli Potato Soup with Sprouted Grain Bread

Witht he leftover potato and broccoli I made a soup with a splash of milk and vegetable stock.

Julienned Zucchini Pizza

I also turned the leftover zucchini "spaghetti" into a pizza on multigrain crust with a small amount of mozzarella.

On Friday night we got to watch Evelyn. The boys helped by rocking her violently and yelling Shhhhhh! in an impossibly loud manner.

Despite it all she fell asleep.

Elliott After Epic 2-Hour Nap-Resisting Struggle

Martin After Epic 2-Hour Nap-Resisting Struggle

On Saturday, before going to a friend's birthday party, they resisted their nap for a full two hours. This was a new record. They were in full-on sleepover mode and once again pants were removed and children collapsed in place when exhaustion finally got the best of them.

Two word sentences have been popping up here and there. Elliott says, "My Daddy!" Martin says, "Big Elmo!"

The Wombats with Pete

Saturday night, after the party, Lauren, Doug, Evelyn, and Pete came over. Pete has been hanging out with them since Jen's parents are in Montreal.

There must be some bad blood between Elliott and Pete because Elliott was chasing him around with his harness and seemed to be calling him out to face him. It was as if he was challenging him to some climactic battle, a final showdown between a dog and an overly-dramatic toddler.

Corned Beef and Cabbage with Pork Brats

Saturday night we made some corned beef and cabbage with pork brats and enjoyed some of Jen's homemade soda bread and Kerrygold Skellig cheese. Jen and Lauren enjoyed watching Frozen. Doug and I watched Frozen but we enjoyed drinking some tasty beers.

Passport Photo Shoot

Passport Photo Shoot

The next morning, while Jen was at yoga, I attempted to take the boys' pictures for their passports. The last time we tried to get their photos was at Walgreens. This had been a disaster as the guy was using a $59 point-and-shoot camera that had a fifteen second delay between pressing the button and the picture being taken. Also, he had the boys sit precariously on a 12 pack of bottled water on top of a stool and kept telling us not to get in the shot. This was more difficult than he probably suspected as it's hard to dodge a camera when you're constantly trying to save your child from falling to the floor.

Under the Counter

After lunch we played a good game of "Under the Counter" before getting them to bed for their nap and me going to work.

I returned home at midnight to find boy boys awake with their mother in bed watching Eureka. That was just the start to my evening, but certainly not my sleep. After about 5 hours of restless sleep we brought them to day care where apparently the had a fire drill five minutes after we left.

I don't know whether I feel relieved that I am not doing their bedtime tonight or happy that I will merely be working until midnight again.

Sorry, Jen!

View the full article

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic