• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

complaint

#16 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 28 July 2004 - 11:29 PM

Sweet, I didn't know Jesus was still kickin' around here.

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:36 AM

Fine; I apologize for assuming that those who threaten violence on the sleeping must be male. Frankly I ought to know better.

I now know the true idemtity of Caolan; hey, Ms Lorena Bobbitt, I thought you were a lot older than that! biggrin.gif

And Rory, if you haven't noticed the numerous times in the last two threads that both Nate and Laura have said this message board is dead, then you should read their posts with the fresh perspective of the casual observer.

Becasue to me it's as obvious as "Certain parties, still seething over the message board change brouhaha from several months back, have requested that we at the L&E team make an official statement regarding the old message board. So in my capacity as an L&E founding father and board admin, I hereby announce that the old message board, while still archived for your perusal, is dead as a doornail, and this must be distinctly understood or nothing wonderful can happen."

I mean, seriously.

It's the first item in the entire god damned thread.

http://www.chefelf.c...topic=1141&st=0
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 29 July 2004 - 06:49 AM

Civilian, I would beg of you that you take the time (if you actually care about this matter at all) to carefully read through the statement you just quoted and the rest of the thread.

I shall point out a few key phrases in the initial statement by Laura that fail to state that the Lanceandeskimo Message Boards, in essence, as an autonomous forum, is dead.

"...the message board change..."

This phrase indicates to me that Laura is implying a Change of message boards, not the total anhilation of the lanceandeskimo message board.

"...while still archived for your perusal..."

See, shes talking about the Lanceandeskimo Message Board Mark 2, not Mark 3. This statement seems to imply that the L&E board Mark 3 is still actually the Lanceandeskimo Message Board, a fully autonomous entity, deserving of a seperate title. I contend quite the opposite; I contend that the lanceandeskimo message board is dead; what we have here is Not the lanceandeskimo message board, at least not in any worthwhile way whatsoever.

"...regarding the old message board."

You see, already she is just saying that the OLD Message Board is no more. Well, that obvious. From this statement she seems to be implying that there is a New Incarnation of the Lanceandeskimo Message Board that is still very much alive. I, however, contend that what we have here is not a New Carnation of a an old Board, but a flimsy sham. This isn't a new message board, and it certainly isn't The New Lanceandeskimo Message Board. This is simply a vassal, and underling if you will, of the Chef Elf Forums. I can cite a few bits of evidence for this:

1. The board has effectively been stripped of it purpose. The Lanceandeskimo Messageboard used to be a place to discuss just about Anything; now its a place to discuss just about Nothing. Any other part of the Chef Elf Forums can and does serve the purpose that the lanceandeskimo message board served. When they used to be seperate forums, this didnt matter. They were just two forums where you could talk about anything. Now that they are together, only a fool or a hearty idealist would decide to post something here instead of some other, more specific part of the forums.

2. There's absolutely no difference between the people who post here (even though they do so rarely) and the people who post on the Chef Elf Forum. The Lanceandeskimo Message Boards used to have its own cadre of more or less dedicated posters, even when it wasn't doing so hot. Granted there was certainly some switch over between the two forums, but now theres no way to tell the posters apart; they are the exact same people. The kind of people who post on a forum are an important part of that forum; they define it almost as much as the subject matter itself. It becomes very hard to say the lanceandeskimo forum is still its own seperate entity, one that is merely linked to the chef elf forums but not part of it, when you've got the exact same people posting on both boards.

3. Not to kick a dying horse, but... If this were merely a new incarnation of the lanceandeskimo forums, and not just a vassal of the chef elf forums, then our posts should count from the old forums. It makes sense that we should deserve credit for posts made on the Lanceandeskimo Message Board, even if its a newer version. But, alas, we dont get credit for our own posts. Therefore, this seem a lot more like a small part of the Chefelf Forums, very similar to say The Star Wars Section (though that gets a lot more traffic), then its own autonmous message board.

Now, as I have said before, I don't wish to argue about whether the change is good or not. As far as I am concerned, that would be a complex, and ultimately futile discussion. I just don't want us to keep this sham up any longer. This isn't the Lanceandeskimo Messageboard; this is simply a small, insignifigant part of the Chefelf Forums.

Furthermore, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe every administrator of the Chef Elf Forums knows this and agrees with me. Maybe I'm just to thick headed to understand. If so, I would ask that they make it easy for me. A simple statement to the effect of "The Lanceandeskimo Message Board is Dead!" would really clear everything up for everybody, think.

#19 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 July 2004 - 03:31 PM

Rory, please, I'm begging you... Let it go. Or else we can lock this thread and start the cycle anew. wink.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#20 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 29 July 2004 - 04:32 PM

Sorry Chef, but I must get to the bottom of this. Feel free to lock, remove, censor anything I post if it's pissing you off. Just a little private email like "dude, you're pissing me off" will do. You know you're good with me.

So, Rory, when she says "The old message board is dead as a doornail," you take that to mean that there must be a NEW message board. You only notice the little adjectve, and ignore the message. I put it to you that this is a ridiculous as assuming, say, on hearing that Old Yeller was killed, that there must be a NEW Yeller out there somewhere.

Well, not to belittle you like a crying little girl, but yes, there *is* a new message board, and you're freaking posting on it! "it's a sham,' and all your other points, are comments you should be directing at the people who post on the board, not its moderators. If people would rather post on the chefelf.com boards than on the new L&E board, miserable little sham that it is, then what are nate and Laura supposed to do about that? What the Christ!

On to your shrieking-little-girl points:

1. You say that one could post just about anything on the old L&E. NOW, you say, one can post just about anything on Chefelf. You say this like there is something missing from your ability to post. I will not ask you for a philosophical distinction here. Not because I don't think there is one, but because I think there *is,* because I think you will expound for 20000 characters, and because I don't fucking care. I'd rather not hear it, for reasons that you will see below:

2. You say "the kind of people who post on a forum are an important part of that forum," and (get this) "THERE'S ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE PEOPLE WHO POST HERE AND THE PEOPLE WHO POST ON THE CHEFELF FORUM" !!!!!! So, by closing the door on L&E, Nate and co have essentially migrated, IN YOUR WORDS, the people and the purpose of the L&E forums. Since noone writes articles for L&E, as everyone associated with that site has announced, it's dumb for it to have a forum, and its forum is redundant since it is identical in content and in constituency to the Chefelf forums. These are your own words, and you use them to show that somehow something has been lost by closing the old forum in favor of the new one. The one where you can post whatever you like, just like on L&E, and your words will be read by the same people who used to post on L&E.

You may argue that some people have stopped posting since the boards closed, or that the boards closed after some people stopped posting, and that there are people who do not post as much as they used to. I will tell you something you haven't thought of: people grow up, and people move on. Nate did not make this happen by changing the name of the place he has supplied for people to post messages to one another; it just happens. Go to your high school reunions if you want a clear message that you cannot go back in time. I think it's worth noting that apart from your sister Lorena, noone has come to defend your point (btw happy birthday, honey, wherever you are and whenever it is; now grow up, will you?). I think I know the reasons noone else has stepped up: a. you don't have a point, and b. you don't have a point.

3. The meat and bones of your argument: this is the real reason for the whole thread! For a little while there, you used to have this artificial post count, somewhere in the billions, and now you don't. You used to have this goofy title; you still have a goofy little title. You want your post count back! So, this isn't about some dying philosophical point, this isn't about the glory that was Rome, this is about the number that appears underneath your name when you post! This isn't sme altruistic struggle for the lost grandeur of the old L&E; this is about you being upset that some website you used to post to kept track of your number of posts, and now you don't have "credit" for that anymore. Well, let me tell you junior, chefelf.com has failed to give me credit for loads of things I did elsewhere. I am so chagrined.

I am a lot older than you; I have been around the world; I have met a lot of different people in a lot of different situations; I have experienced remarkable ups and downs; my life has even been in danger a few times. I can say this: I have never heard anything so unbelievably geeky and stupid in my entire life (and I used to post on Usenet!). You need to take a look at the sky outside, my little nerd friend, and consider what it is you're arguing about on such a nice day.

Another thing you might consider: take the number of posts you used to have on that other board, and put it after your name, or make it your avatar, since it's so important to you. Last I checked, you couldn't cash that number in for air miles or a discount on a car, so you can have my number as well if you like. And apart from the number of posts you're given "credit" for, you have effectively argued that there is no functional difference between the L&E forum and chefelf.com

The Lance and Eskimo forum is no more. It's been said, and it's been said to you. Get over it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#21 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

Okay, I think this is getting a little out of hand.

I don't mean to give anyone the last word or anything, but I'm closing this topic.

I will open a new "Complaint Topic" in the pinned topics here, since the sole purpose of the L&E forums these days is to complain about the L&E Forums. Any additional complaint topics will simply be merged into the pinned topic.

Also, civilian, let's try to refrain from making personal attacks. I understand people are getting annoyed (I'm one of them) but let's just try as best we can to have a good-hearted debate on the topic... no matter how stupid it is.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked