Chefelf.com Night Life: Lucas Blames YOU! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Lucas Blames YOU! We screwed up SW by not liking it enough.

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:52 PM

George Lucas Blames 'Star Wars' Critics for Killing Series
Sci-fi filmmaker hurt by harsh feedback from some fans about the prequels

By David Eckstein

For any fans awaiting future "Star Wars" films from George Lucas, it's going to be a long wait. The creator of the famed series says he's not going to make any more of these movies and that he's essentially retiring. And for that he blames the harsh feedback from certain fans.

"Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?" he tells The New York Times.

Lucas continues to bash these critics despite the fact that their appreciation for the series helped it generate $4.4 billion in worldwide box-office sales.

"On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie," Lucas says. "I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"

Lucas drew strong attacks from "Star Wars" fans for characters like Jar Jar Binks and for digital additions to the DVDs and re-releases of the six-part series.

"I'm moving away from the business, from the company, from all this kind of stuff," he says.

Article

Well if surrounding yourself with yes-men, firing anyone who doesn't do their job your way or agree with you, change scripts over weekends and hand it to the actors just before they deliver said lines after spending weekend learning the old lines in a green featureless void and expect great results after first take, to make prequels for a trilogy you've taken no notice of dialogue-wise, doesn't point a big fat finger squarely at you the viewer, I don't know what does.

This post has been edited by barend: 22 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

#2 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

He can blame me if he likes. I criticized the films and all of the changes to the special editions without even seeing them. I'll shoulder the burden for all the fanboys.

PS this is the most laughable "take my ball and leave" response since he promised never to release the original trilogy in its theatrical form. He's still going to finance MMORPGs, tv series, cartoons, toys, novels, etc? All he's done is vow not to write and direct any more movies? Big deal. He wasn't going to do that anyway.

This post has been edited by civilian_number_two: 26 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

I would prefer the term "credit" rather than blame. If the reaction to the prequels and special editions stopped this kind of crap, every one of us deserves a medal. We all know it didnt though. If Lucas thought he could exploit the good name of his first three SW movies more, he would, but I think he's finally figured out that critics and audiences just wouldnt stand for it. People watched episode 1 because it was Star Wars. They watched 2 and 3 because, well, they'd already watched episode 1. Ask anyone if they want more SW movies now? Yeah, no.

I love me some Clone Wars though!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

There were heroes on both sides.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

me and my friends are going to troll the episode 1 re-release. anyone else planning to do something fun?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#6 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:35 PM

I love Clone Wars too.
Definitely the best thing in a while
to crawl out of the money grubbing cesspool.
I'll even forgive Asoka's existence, I think its that good.

As for TPM
*sigh* Ill see it.

Don't know if I'll be trolling
especially if there are kids around.
However, somehow I know that just sitting through that 20 minute pod race, I'll be thinking the jokes on me

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#7 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

View PostJ m HofMarN, on 05 February 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

me and my friends are going to troll the episode 1 re-release. anyone else planning to do something fun?

The other day I jogged the entire Stanley Park sea wall for the first time in years. You mean something like that?

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Trujade - you know, after her... ermmm... less than endearing debut in the movie, I have to admit Ahsoka has grown on me more than any other character in the series. When they stopped trying to make her cutesy and endearing, she got to be really cute and endearing.

Civ - It only counts if you did it in a Jedi robe.

#9 User is offline   Gobbler Icon

• God damn it, Nappa.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Thermonuclear warfare and other pleasantries.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

You know, I recently sat back down and tried to watch Episode I again... I don't know if I liked the movie back when I first saw it in cinema in '99 (I was only thirteen years old, so I suppose I thought it was okay, but nothing too brilliant... then again, I wasn't as jaded back then). But damn.

Da~y~mn, mothaf****.

Watching that as full-fledged snarky and cynical adult me proved to be downright impossible. I got as far as Gungan City when I just had to stop it. It's just that bad.

I mean, rewatching the old trilogy - yeah, those aren't exactly the best movies ever either, but at least they had good style. And are still watchable.

Sooo... Episode I in 3D. Huh. Jar-Jar's tongue lashing out at you over dinner table. Maybe that would actually push it over the edge into comedy-land, but I sure as hell will not try to find out.

This post has been edited by Gobbler: 14 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Pop quiz, hotshot. Garry Kasparov is coming to kill you, and the only way to change his mind is for you to beat him at chess. What do you do, what do you do?

#10 User is offline   TruJade Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Oh you know the usual....
    Tv
    Movies
    Music
    comics
    Star Wars

Posted 14 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

So I saw it. And the pod race wasn't even the worst part.
It was Jar Jar and to a lesser extent Boss Nass. By a landslide.

How peculiar this experience was for me because for the first time I stopped blaming Jake Llyod
Purely based on the reality that he has suffered more than many of us for the sake of Star Wars

After watching the sort of 3D presentation
and then viewing MovieBob's video I have decided that
much like the Gungans and the Naboo it is time for PEACE

http://www.escapistm...-13-Years-Later

This post has been edited by TruJade: 14 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

Duct tape is like the force....

There's a lightside, a darkside

and it holds everything together

There are too many people in the world...We need another plague -Dwight K. Shrute [The Office]

#11 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:06 PM

I think ANH will be the interesting one to see at the cinema. Because the arrival at Mos Eisley in 3D should be fantastic with all foreground add-ons. You'll be trying to back off as giant 3D reptile arses and droids all mysteriously choose the same path right in front of you while you're trying to make out what's going on in the background where the action is.

I want to sit down the front, then turn around and film the audience.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size