• +

Han vs Anakin For the girls

#16 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:38 PM

Well, Jordan, are we speaking Hayden and Harrison or Han and Anakin here? There is a difference,you know, wheter we compare characters orreal guys actors.I am speaking characters. 

I don't know. I was talking about the photo.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#17 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:11 PM

Well the topic says Han and Anakin so that means we're talking about the characters. Even if we were talking about the actors and just what they looked like, I reckon Harrison would be more attractive than Hayden. Because Harrison is a man and Hayden is a boy - possibly one of those 'pretty boy' types but I can't say for certainty. He might be a nice guy, you never know.

And thank you, Madam Corvax, for your thoughts on Han's character deterioration in Return of the Jedi. For the longest time, I thought I was one of the only people who noticed that. Some other people on this forum have gone as far as to say that Harrison's acting was the best in that movie - unbelievable.

As for the romance, the sparks were dead in the movie. I just saw two bored actors going through the script. In The Empire Strikes Back, that romance was alive and strong - and it made for a very moving story.

#18 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jul 20 2004, 07:11 PM)
Some other people on this forum have gone as far as to say that Harrison's acting was the best in that movie - unbelievable.

I didn't say that did I? I mean, I loved the movie and disagree with you about most points there, but Ford easily gave his worst performance in ROTJ. And you're also right that the love story was not nearly as strong (although I think this is because they already have established their love, so there is no need for another love story). I do think Hamill gave his best performance as Luke in ROTJ.

But as for the debate, if we're talking about characters, then I would be surprised if 1 lady picked Hayden. If we're talking about the actors, then it is probably a toss-up.

#19 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:22 AM

Don't worry, Vwing. It wasn't you who I was referring to. We had another one of those debates recently... it was quite lively actually. It ended up with the thread being locked because it had turned into a vicious war spanning many pages. I don't remember you being involved in that one but there were two particular people who were.... and at least one of them thought that Harrison Ford's performance in Return of the Jedi was his best in the trilogy. I won't mention his name - as I respect his right to not be reminded of his comment.

I think I agree with you about Hammil's performance though. He did a nice, if B-Grade job, in all the films - although there were a few instances of overacting in the first two. In Return of the Jedi, I think he was generally more consistent. Having said that though, I prefer young reckless Luke to mature know-it-all Luke anyday. He was so much more interesting.

#20 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 July 2004 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jul 21 2004, 12:22 AM)
Having said that though, I prefer young reckless Luke to mature know-it-all Luke anyday. He was so much more interesting.

And it is why I consider myself "a Luke girl". I really liked him in ANH. He was very convincing, even though some people did not liked his acting.BUt he was perfect for this role.

#21 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:15 AM

I already made a point that was pretty good about interchanging characters in the Leia Amidala section. Let me say something about every photo of Ani in 2 or 3.

Firstly he looks like a damned hound dog that hasnt been fed in a week, exp​ression-wise I mean.

Secondly, if someone cut off that... thing hanging off his head like in "The Last Samurai" would he or would he not have to commit ritual suicide? Discuss.

As for Ani versus Han (one of them is a woman's name, one of them is a german man's name and comparing last names would just be a tie since they both have bad ass last names.)

Han wins hands down.

He has a better girlfriend, he has more characterization, he has a much more likeable demeanor (that of a guy who is overconfident and maybe a little ruthless but eventually has to admit that he's really a lovable character in the long run) he also has style. He wasn't even going to let the FORCE push him around in ANH but then in the last one when he said to Luke "May the force be with you" that was a cool line and it was within his character. Everything Han did made sense for his character.

Comapre this to Ani who's girlfriend is completely spineless which only seems to heap more blame on him for all that he does wrong. Anakin's character leaves his mother for no damned reason (I might expect this from Han Solo but definately not from a Skywalker) his whole image is just some guy who hates everyone and seems to treat Amidala mainly as an object. He is a really slimey guy who makes a really half assed effort to be likeable and only ends up being less likeable. He has shit for lines and everything his character does seems forced.

Anakin is not fit to be a villain, he's just a sniveling whining henchman. I have all respect for Vader and Sidious because they ARE bad people who are characters with definate motivations and feelings. I respect Han and Luke for the same reason except they're good people. All four of the aforementioned are leading characters who deserve praise. Anakin could have just as well been switched with Darth Maul and, if not for the droning speech about who's fault it was that he got killed and tossed into whatever convenient hole was on Naboo, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 21 July 2004 - 05:31 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#22 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 July 2004 - 05:32 AM

Firstly he looks like a damned hound dog that hasnt been fed in a week, exp​ression-wise I mean.

Oh no. That works literally as well.

#23 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:57 PM

that's a beauftiful moment when han says "may the force be with you"
he sort of awkwardly smiles when he says it, like the phrase means nothing to HIM personally, but he knew it would mean alot to luke, and it's what obi-wan would have said...

it's quite a guesture really.

#24 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:17 PM

It is a really nice moment.

#25 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:54 AM

Yeah I agree, that was great dialogue and really symbolic of his characters metamorphoses. Anakin never seems to change at all. He's going to be the same whiney phsyco he was in 2 when 3 rolls around. There's not likely to be any transformation at all, 3's jsut going to start out with teh scroll saying that Anakin became evil and Obi Wan has gone to confront him and the next two hours will be space fleets battling amid lightsaber duels.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#26 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:56 AM

Yeah I agree, that was great dialogue and really symbolic of his characters metamorphoses. Anakin never seems to change at all. He's going to be the same whiney phsyco he was in 2 when 3 rolls around. There's not likely to be any transformation at all, 3's jsut going to start out with teh scroll saying that Anakin became evil and Obi Wan has gone to confront him and the next two hours will be space fleets battling amid lightsaber duels.

#27 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:09 AM

That was worth repeating.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#28 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:00 AM

absoutley...

anikan makes NO journey as a character!!!

he should have shown no darkness untill 3!!!
it would have been nice to belive he and Obi wan were once friends

#29 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 July 2004 - 09:48 AM

absoutley...

anikan makes NO journey as a character!!!

he should have shown no darkness untill 3!!!
it would have been nice to belive he and Obi wan were once friends

I'll disagree. I believe Anakins actual step toward the darkside should have taken place in ep. 2 and become the climax of thePT series, just as Darth Vaders revelation to Luke was in episode 5 for the OT films.

Obi-Wan and Anakin are friends till the climax where episode 2 ends.

In my rewrite I had a scene where Anakin attempts to kill Watto for revenge on Watto selling his mother to spice miners. Anakin attempts to kill Watto for what he believes is justice for all of Watto's crimes. But Obi-Wan arrives and tells Anakin he must stop and turn Watto over to the "authorities" {or what counst as police on Tattoine}. Anakin refuses and becomes heated with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan gives a speech in which he details that the Jedi cannot kill and that there are some things that the need to be accepted!. Anakin retorts against that. Obi-Wan relents for a second and walks away. But in the split second, that Anakin is about to bring his blade on Watto, Obi Wan in a brilliant flash of speed, brings his blade down on Obi-Wan and cuts of Anakins hand. Their is a look of shock and anger on Anakin's face as he falls back in pain. Amidala who witnessed all this from a far, screams in protest. Before Anakin and Obi-Wan can make a move, the clone soldiers attack, seperating Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Eventually on eof these days when my own website is up, you'll be able to see this full re-write of the trilogy.

What's the climax in the PT!!! Yoda's stupid line about the clone wars beginning! Another thing botched by Lucas. yell.gif

#30 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 22 July 2004 - 10:33 AM

Interesting... but for the love of God, why would you use anything from George Lucas' prequel movies? You'd be much better off making your re-write with completely original ideas. I don't think there is anything worth salvaging from the prequel trilogy that George Lucas has given us so far.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size