• (4 Pages)
  • +

Leia VS Amidala One for the boys

#16 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:55 AM

This image thing is fun! Time to resort to new lower tactics to make guys think that Leia is hotter than Amidala. Here goes -

Heh. That was wrong and I knew it.

I knew it... but I just couldn't help myself. cool.gif

But yes, I will concede that Natalie is a bit of a babe - not my kind of babe (although, that said, neither is the young Carrie Fisher) but I do understand where you guys are coming from.

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

I say one at the nose, one at the toes.

No. Really, I didn't say that. Once in another lifetime I was walking through a certain rough area of town that later became one of the toniest upscale condo development areas and that now contains some of the hottest little birdcage apartments in the city. This is an area that formerly had no name, but is now called "Yaletown," and it was hooker central. I was going to a party in a warehouse where this band I managed was playing (the owner didn't always have product, and sometimes when the place was empty he'd throw these loud parties and hire great bands). Anyway, there were these two ladies outside, see, and that's what one of them said to me. Still makes me laugh.

As for the Leia/Amidala thing, Natalie Portman should be sued for breach of contract. When she was 14 there was the promise that she would grow up to be the hottest thing on two legs, a ruthless destroyer of hearts and minds. Now she's just another girl. What happened? Carrie Fisher on the other hand may have been through some hard times, but she was always charismatic, even if Lucas was a knob to try to sex her up the way he did in JEDI. But like JYAMG has said, and I agree: women are usually sexier than girls. At the very least, women are usually sexier than the girls they used to be. I use Ms Portman as the rare exception that calls attention to the rule.

PS: Jordan, the age of consent is well over the age of the girls you're looking at. Play ball!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:02 PM

As for the Leia/Amidala thing, Natalie Portman should be sued for breach of contract. When she was 14 there was the promise that she would grow up to be the hottest thing on two legs, a ruthless destroyer of hearts and minds. Now she's just another girl. What happened? Carrie Fisher on the other hand may have been through some hard times, but she was always charismatic, even if Lucas was a knob to try to sex her up the way he did in JEDI. But like JYAMG has said, and I agree: women are usually sexier than girls. At the very least, women are usually sexier than the girls they used to be. I use Ms Portman as the rare exception that calls attention to the rule.

Regarding Natalie Portmans career.

You are right, civ. Natalie Portman's career has not taken off due to her Star Wars appearances.

Natalie Portman, Anna Paquin and Kirsten Dunst were all on that same path to stardom when they were in their early teens. yet Dunst and Paquin have been the only ones to actually reach that track.

To be fair to Natalie......I think her career suffers from this problem.

1. After Star Wars Episode I, Natalie had a huge window to star in some movies before Episode II cames out. She made a very good movie with Susan Sarandon in "Anywhere but Here". It was an excellent performance by here and helped establish her career outside of Star Wars. Then she folowed up with "Where the heart Is" which was a subpar movie. That movie brought her stock down severly. Unfortunately before she could bring her stock up with another movie, Episode II filming began and she had to concentrate on that.

After Episode II, came out and received critical assasination, Portman started to founder severly due to several elements:

1. People started to typecast her as Queen Amidala
2. Her failure as a sex symbol in Episode II had an effect as well. She also failed as a sex symbol in women's magazine covers . People around Hollywood tended to think she couldn't be a suitable sexy female lead.
3. People also questioned started to question her acting talent based on the horrible perfomances in the PT films. A sort of guilt by association developed between Natalie and the terrible Star Wars films.

[this is all specualation on my part BTW}

Arguably you could blame "Where the Heart Is" for Natalies Career. Had that movie been sucessful or if she starred in a better movie. Her career might have had more momentum to withstand the Episode II backlash.

Regarding Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher, needed nothing to be sexy in the OT. {She was hot, way before teh ROTJ bikini}

They practically bent over backwards to turn Natalie Portman into a sex symbol in ATOC. From cleavage revealing nighties to the convenient midriff revealing suit tear.

Natalie Portman and Kirsten Dunst are in their early 20s and still look like 12 year old girls!!!!!!!

No, Anna Paquin is woman!!! I am surprised she doesn;t catch a lot of points in the hottie department as the rest. She can be my leading woman anytime!! wub.gif

#19 User is offline   Mike Mac from NYU Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 July 2004 - 12:04 PM

I am having trouble getting an avatar uploaded! I tried a bunch of file types and it still isn't working.

Anyone no why? sad.gif

#20 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Mike Mac from NYU @ Jul 19 2004, 12:04 PM)
I am having trouble getting an avatar uploaded! I tried a bunch of file types and it still isn't working.

Anyone no why? sad.gif

PM me and let me know what the problem is. smile.gif

As for the Leia / Amidala battle, that's a tough one. Don't get me wrong, Natalie Portman / Amidala is extremely beautiful, but I feel that the absurdity of her costumes makes the role just a little silly. Carrie Fisher / Leia just wore simple robes of state and not very revealing costumes (save the Jabba slave outfit in ROTJ). In fact it wasn't until ROTJ that anyone even realized... hey, Princess Leia is kinda hot!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#21 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:03 PM

After stairing at that bikini shot of her at the top of the page, I kind of dig her. Fuck i 'm weak. Portman is still better.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#22 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jul 19 2004, 09:00 PM)
As for the Leia / Amidala battle, that's a tough one.  Don't get me wrong, Natalie Portman / Amidala is extremely beautiful, but I feel that the absurdity of her costumes makes the role just a little silly.    Carrie Fisher / Leia just wore simple robes of state and not very revealing costumes (save the Jabba slave outfit in ROTJ).  In fact it wasn't until ROTJ that anyone even realized... hey, Princess Leia is kinda hot!

This is yet another problem I have with Amidala. Natalie Portman is (IMO) quite attractive, but Lucas insists on ruining her natural beauty with those ridiculous costumes...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#23 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:40 PM

can't i have both

#24 User is offline   Xombie Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:11 PM

Part of what makes this a frustrating contest is that in neither series are either of the actresses allowed to show their stuff. This I think goes to the natural prudishness of Lucas who puts zero sensualness into his films. If you have a hot actress, you show her off (And I'm not being sexist, the same with the guys). And yes, I know these are shows for kids (says Lucas) but you know what? kids like flesh too and you could cram a whole lot more into these films without denting the films' ratings. Natalie Portman has a smoking body and she shows off her legs to great effect in that movie where she's stranded in the Wal-Mart. Why don't we see her legs one freakin' time in AOTC? Why doesn't anyone touch anyone on bare flesh (mid-driff, legs etc)? Why doesn't anyone glisten with sweat invitingly anywhere in the series (even on Tantooine?) Why doesn't Anakin fight without his shirt on one time? Why don't we get a smouldering look from....ANYONE? When it comes to sex appeal, Lucas has made sure the SW universe is packing zero heat.

And don't give me RotJ slave girl bikini. Soviet-issue lingerie showed off more flesh.

#25 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:23 AM

Good that you started on the costume thing.,This is I believe the main problem of prequels. They went over the top.
Consider: you are to cavort on the meadow with a boy, what would you wear: embroidered muslin gown and a hairdo like earmuffs or sweatpants, t-shirtand a ponytail?
Was it really necessary to robe her in all those fake-Tudor gowns, with hairdos like towers, sculptures and additional ears? Was it necessary to flash her bare midriff like that? What Leia wore was appropriate - simple gowns, comfortable jumpsuits. Even the bikini was appropriate, since it was not a garment she chose herself.
So, Natalie lost a lot. Look at Keira Knightley, she played a handmaiden,and now she is a major star,and NAtalie somehow slipped into oblivion.

#26 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:19 AM

It's strange that they chose Natalie Portman to be the leading lady over Kiera Knightley. Keira seems to have so much more going on. But yes, Amidala's costumes were ridiculous. Even Barbie doesn't have a wardrobe that big.

#27 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 20 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jul 20 2004, 08:23 AM)
Consider: you are to cavort on the meadow with a boy, what would you wear: embroidered muslin gown and a hairdo like earmuffs or sweatpants, t-shirtand a ponytail?

Good point. I'd never dare wear a dress like that for 'cavorting in the meadow' - I'd be constantly worrying about rips and grass stains. Of course, Amidala has so many outfits, she can probably just wear each one once and then throw it away... rolleyes.gif
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#28 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:00 AM

I think she does actually, judging by the number of outfits she wore in each movie.

#29 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (Just your average movie goer @ Jul 20 2004, 07:19 AM)
It's strange that they chose Natalie Portman to be the leading lady over Kiera Knightley. Keira seems to have so much more going on.

I've read once in Aint it Cool News that Keira almost landed the part in the Episode III. Allegedly Natalie had a clash with Lucas, and he offered the part to Kiera, only she was not available due to prior commitments. And yes, choosing Keira would have been more appropriate even for episode I. She is now 19, so she was, like, 14 in 1999, and even that was slightly too old to play alongside Jake Loyd. But she was just not popular enough back then, I suppose. I wonder if Lucas does not regret it now.

#30 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 07:32 PM

I would say Leia. Like JYAMG, she's a mature woman, while Amidala's still maturing. I'm not saying she isn't hot, but Leia just has something about her. The outfit didn't hurt either, but even without that she was hotter than Amidala. Of course we'll have to wait until Ep III. Maybe Lucas'll put Amidala in a bikini while 9 months pregnant. Then his journey towards the dark side will be complete.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size