• (3 Pages)
  • +

"Lucas Arts" "Constant Starwars Games"

#16 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:12 AM

I've seen advertisements for US stores on the internet, selling Dark Forces for almost nothing. But I don't have a snowball's chance in hell of finding it in Korea. Why should this be? It's a very old game. Most kids these days are spending all their money on Star Wars prequel merchandise. So why can't they just make Dark Forces a freeware game that you can download online? sad.gif

Oh wait. I know - George Lucas. dry.gif

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:17 AM

Get in line, I belive The Secret of Monkey Island should get first plug at abandonware.

This post has been edited by SimeSublime: 19 July 2004 - 09:17 AM

The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 19 July 2004 - 09:57 AM

I really liked Grim Fandago; I also really liked X Wing, and Tie Fighter. Aside from a few peculiarities (an x wing can destroy a star destroyer through clever maneuvering, a lot of patience, and several blaster shots. also, capital ships move really really slowly.), it did an amazing job simulating space combat in the star wars universe. If you're lucky enough to get an X Wing, then lifes pretty sweet; you can go really fast when you need to, you've got torpedoes, quad firing blasters (though these arent that much of a boon), shields, and decent maneuverability. X Wing not your thing? Hey, the A Wing has a lot to offer too; it has incredible maneuverability, shields, concussion missiles, blasters, and is fast to boot. And then there's the Y Wing.... they dont call it "a useless piece of trash that is half a century too old to do anything, save hauling trash, a.k.a. itself, to the nearest waste disposal unit" for nothing. Yes, it has torpedoes. Yes, it has impressive shields. And blasters. And Ion cannons. No, it doesnt have anything else. Its like flying a dumptruck. You ever try to fly a dumptruck? You might as well shoot yourself. Either that, or go get something to drink, while you put something heavy on your joystick and wait for this thing to loop around, or turn, or maneuver in any way. Its also slow as mud.

And being in a Tie Fighter? Well you really do feel like you are in a tiny little maneuverable tin can that is as likely to explode as do anything else when someone breathes on it. Being in a Tie Interceptor? Well thats like being in a faster, more maneuverable tin can. Tie Bomber. Well, thats almost as bad as a Y Wing, but at least youve got more maneuverability. But then again you've got no shields. Gunboat, well thats just weird. You've got shields, and weapons, but its sort of slow and sluggish. Tie Advanced... Jesus, that thing is amazing. Tie Defender... well, why they decided they needed an even more amazing tie craft is beyond me, but its like heaven. In fact, the only annoying thing is that sometimes you are going so fast that you outrun most ships; I suppose you could always match their speed, but the smart and lazy pilot knows to simply crash right into them. That does the trick nicely. And their shields recharge quickly!

#19 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:00 AM

Ah, that's beautiful, Rory. I love the description of the Y-Wings. They handle exactly the way I imagined they would when I first saw the movie. smile.gif

#20 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:06 AM

I was able to download Maniac Mansion recently, but I really want to find a place where I can download Loom...I'd like to give that one a try at some point, too. It's so old it should be up somewhere...

Right?

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 19 July 2004 - 10:07 AM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#21 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:08 AM

I don't know. Remember, that's exactly how I feel about Dark Forces.

#22 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:53 AM

The Dig was pretty good but I got stuck on it for a LONG time. It ended up being one of those stupid things where you know the answer to the puzzle, and you try it, but it doesn't work, so you figure that can't be it, but it turns out it WAS it, your mouse just wouldn't click on the right place?

Grim Fandango was amazing. Monkey Island 1-3 were great (though I never got around to playing four, and then I lost it). I liked 3 the best. Sam and Max was brilliant. FULL THROTTLE is my favorite thing in the entire world, ever.

Unfortunately it seems like people who like point-and-click adventure puzzle games are in a minority. I love them because I like a mental challenge, but I have very poor reflexes, so I'm not very good at traditional video games--but even if I were, they're boring! I guess some people think a linear game where there's one right answer to everything is kind of boring, too, but I enjoy solving a good puzzle.

There are a few web-based Flash games (Mystery of Time and Space, Crimson Room, and certainly others) that have taken up the torch, but these tend to be less polished, shorter, less finished, and less complex. They need to be, since you don't have save capability on a Flash game; sometimes they can be played in several sittings, though, since at a certain point in the game you may get a password that signifies you've played up to that point. So, necessarily, these games tend to be even more linear than Lucas Arts adventures, requiring you to solve one puzzle at a time and pick up objects in a strict order.

Anyway, I think Flash is where the new adventure games are, since I guess they're not marketable on the large-scale market anymore. I don't know how many of you here visit littlefluffy.com, the Lore Sjoberg/Chris Livingston collaborative project compiling a database of free online games, but there are some good leads there.

#23 Guest_Laura_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 19 July 2004 - 10:54 AM

That was me, by the way.

#24 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:12 AM

I saw some notices about Loom being abandonware, but that doesn't exactly help much. Like I said, seeing as Lucasarts aren't selling it anymore, I see no problem with downloading it from emule or whatever.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#25 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 19 July 2004 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Jul 19 2004, 09:17 AM)
Get in line, I belive The Secret of Monkey Island should get first plug at abandonware.

Lucas Arts games will never be abandonware. As long as they exist as a company they'll be trying to squeeze as many $$ out of you as possible for 15-20 year old games.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#26 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (Guest @ Jul 19 2004, 04:53 PM)
I don't know how many of you here visit littlefluffy.com, the Lore Sjoberg/Chris Livingston collaborative project compiling a database of free online games, but there are some good leads there.

Lore Sjoberg? Isn't he the guy who used to run the Brunching Shuttlecocks website? Ah, I loved that site...

If you want free online/downloadable games, quandaryland.com has quite a good selection.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#27 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:30 AM

My mistake. I think the deal with Loom was something along the lines of if you had a disk version you could download the sounds and stuff to upgrade it to the voiced version, or some such.

#28 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2004 - 10:30 AM

"Dark Forces" would probably th ONLY Star Wars game I enjoyed and would consider to play over and over again. I recently bought a used copy for about $2.50. You wouldn't believe what you can find in used video game stores! I once found a collection of ALL of the "Advanced Dungeaons& Dragons" (like Eye of the Beholder and Pool of Radiance) games in a fold-up case for $5.00!

I was able to download Maniac Mansion recently, but I really want to find a place where I can download Loom...

I downloaded "Loom" recently on a really cool abandonware site, they have a TON of classic adventure games to download. Below is a link.

Home of the Underdogs

This post has been edited by Shawnathan: 20 July 2004 - 10:34 AM

--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#29 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 20 July 2004 - 05:07 PM

Ohhhhh...I can't believe I didn't see it there before!

(*runs off to download*)

EDIT: Wait a second! It says it's just a patch!

This post has been edited by Jane Sherwood: 20 July 2004 - 07:38 PM

Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#30 User is offline   A Mighty Pirate Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 July 2004 - 06:46 PM

Hey laura, was it the turtle Puzzle part?

I could never beat that part.

Never. Even with the strategy guide that I broke down and purchased.

Still nothing.

It haunts me still to this day.
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size