• +

Contest! Just a suggestion really

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:30 AM

I've kind of noticed that if you're someone whos fetishes don't include employment comics (which I really like) or Nancy Drew (no offense to the paternal one but it's just not my bag) and you're viewing the L&E main page, and for some reason you've seen positively everything else on the site before (not that I havn't or anything... I'm not that big of a loser.... I think I skipped reading one or two of Laura's articles so I havn't read it all) Yeah like I was saying I think with the number of people who are glad to make new material which is really humorous on the boards there should be no shortage of stuff that could be tossed up as the article of the day.

I was thinking maybe we could have a weekly contest for best article wherein each forum dweller submits something and at the end of the week the best article is voted on via poll (people are, of course, not allowed to vote for their own articles or it would be a clusterfuck) and the best one could get posted. It wouldn't be a great deal of work to put up an article per week and it might be really fun to see what everyone can come up with. We might even be able to get other people to come here in hopes of entering the great article-off.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 14 July 2004 - 02:32 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:06 AM

Sounds like a plan to me...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   Laura Icon

• Brother Redcloud
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:gnome habits

Posted 14 July 2004 - 08:18 AM

But of course, if everyone's read the article already on the message board, there's not much point in posting it.

Really, guys, while there are new Company X and Nancy Drews, you can consider L&E to be otherwise on hiatus. All of us grew weary of having an article a week. We stopped taking the commitment seriously.

I'm having some slow progress in building a small backlog, so I may return in the fall, but it depends on a lot of factors. I mean, I know I'll post something else on L&E eventually, I just don't know when. So L&E will not be like it is now forever, but I don't think it will ever be like it once was, either. It may take another form. All of us need to get the creative energy to do something with it, though.

In the meantime, we invite you to check out our staff's other pages for all of your us needs.

I certainly don't want to dissuade you from writing your own stuff and the message board is not a bad place to do it. But even though posting an article a week isn't that much work, it's just a chore, and I don't know if anyone is going to volunteer to do it. Feel free to post your articles on the message board or on your own sites and link to them here for our readers. Some of our readers have great sites with new stuff up all the time--I'm thinking of heccubus, tuahan, and a few others in particular, but there must be more I don't know about.

#4 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:55 AM

I was wondering how long it would be before someone came up with an idea like this.

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:50 PM

Laura is wise and I agree with her, naturally. We are currently, as she said, in a hiatus. We are working on implementing a system for L&E that would make it bigger, better and stronger. When this is going to be happening is anyone's guess.

Will L&E ever return to its former glory? Probably not. Organizing 5 updates a week is a difficult task... particularly when the only return we see on all of our work is a bill for running our server. Not that we are complaining, or expect to get paid but you can only keep up that volume of work for so long before just running out of steam.

Will L&E return in a different form? Most likely. Laura and I have blogs that are updated with differing degrees of frequency. Our other friends also have sites and projects. It would be nice to see them all brought together through L&E.

We will see what happens. Don't expect any guest updates anytime soon, though. If you want to post any articles here then feel free but using your own site(s) may be the best option for that sort of thing.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Laura @ Jul 14 2004, 01:18 PM)
Some of our readers have great sites with new stuff up all the time--I'm thinking of heccubus, tuahan, and a few others in particular, but there must be more I don't know about.

How flattering. To think that I'll be able to tell my grandchildren* that Laura of L&E said my site was great and/or updated frequently.

*Or, if not, I can probably find some drunken bum on the street who will listen to me.

QUOTE (Heccubus)
I was wondering how long it would be before someone came up with an idea like this.

Meaning you already had the idea, but you thought it too immoral to suggest?

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:46 PM

No, I just knew that eventually, someone would eventually try to revive the site in a manner like this.
The way I see it is that everyone who started going to L&E when it was active should've known that there would come a day when it was not the buzzing hive of humour that it once was. That day has come, and there are still some who can't seem to come to grips with it. Laura and Chefelf both have highly entertaining blogs (albeit that may not be up everyone's alley), FR is definitely one of my favourite humour sites out there, and, as Laura mentioned, there are plenty of L&E buddies who are working hard to produce material of a humourous nature. And there will come a day when those websites are not updated as often. My point is that everything comes to an end. And while the possibility of Laura adding more content of her own in the future fills me with nothing but joy, I'm not expecting her to start with the daily updates again, or even the three-days-a-week thing again. I was surprised that they even managed to do that for as long as they did, and I am envious that any of them even managed to produce a full article once a week for that long.

#8 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:53 AM

Nate, Laura if you took any offense from that I'm really sorry. I could never put out hte number of articles a week you guys did and I know that it's not your fault that this damnable reality has to hassle you all the time. The problem isn't that there's no humor left on the internet or that there's not enough cool stuff on L&E or that there's no place for us to show off the funnies that we make. The problem is we miss the old L&E and we want to try to do something to kind of try to pretend like it was back in the good old days again. I'm certainly not putting any pressure on anyone to write articles if they don't have the time or essence necessary for that sort of thing. I just figure that there were other people like myself hanging around who have been and would be deeply honored to have their articles posted on L&E and that at the very least it'd be a bit of fun. I know there's other stuff out there but I've begun to be able to actually predict what will be put up in an update and that's a scary thought. I'm far from pointing fingers though and I really love the work both of you have done. I'm certainly not saying that a contest column would replace any of the brothers redcloud in importance, only that it would be something to tide everyone over and keep interest in the site for those visitors who aren't forum goers.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#9 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:22 AM

If you really want to post your own material, without paying for a domain/webspace, get a free webspace account somewhere. That's where I got started.

#10 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 15 July 2004 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jul 15 2004, 01:53 AM)
Nate, Laura if you took any offense from that I'm really sorry.

No, no, no. No offense was taken at all. I can't speak for Laura but I understand what you're saying and I doubt she was offended in the least. smile.gif

Well, LNE has kinda simmered down a bit but rest assured that we're working on a way to bring LNE back anew, in a way that will bring all of your favorite LNE characters back to you on a more frequent basis.

Paul and I are cooking up something but we are both sorta preocupied with changes going on in our respective lives (not to be TOO cryptic). Once we get our collective acts together (I'd wager a guess of Septemberish) then perhaps the new changes will be made.

smile.gif

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#11 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jul 15 2004, 08:36 PM)
will bring all of your favorite LNE characters back to you on a more frequent basis.

ALL? ph34r.gif

Or perhaps the key word in that sentence is "favorite". No one liked Jacques anyway. rolleyes.gif

Or perhaps the key word is "characters". Maybe Lefty can code something to make Lance, Eskimo and Harry Ape spout random text.

#12 Guest_Laura_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:35 PM

Actually, there was something like that at some time... but I think it broke in the transition to the new server & never got up and running again.

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:16 PM

The conversation generator?

http://www.lanceande.../playform.shtml

Damn, what has happened?

#14 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:26 PM

I tried to fix it but the best I could do was get it to generate a DIFFERENT error message. Damn.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan

Posted 15 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

Never mind... I fixed it. Yay!

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size