Chefelf.com Night Life: "Zombie films" - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (3 Pages)
  • +

"Zombie films" What do you think of them?

#16 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:18 PM

I think a vampire could kill zombie, as far as I know vampires know how to use guns so he/she can just shoot the zombie in the head, no problem. Zombies have a more simple nervous system then a rat, Brains and organs are the only thing on their mind.

I prefer zombies over vampires, especially since the vampire movies today seem to worry more about pimping attractive wemon then feeding on blood. My favorite Vampire Movie would probably "Fright Night" (or was it 'Night Fright'?), the "Lost Boys" was a good one too.

Yea, 'Bub' in 'Day of the Dead' was awsome. Who ever the actor was for the part 'Bub' did the trick, I forget his name. I DO though prefer 'Night of the Living Dead' over all of them, I first saw it when I about 9. I couldn't sleep that night.
Those zombies slowly coming out of the darkness, closing in on the house just freaked me out.

I hear the same director who remade 'Dawn of the Dead' is remakeing 'Day of the Dead. I wish hollywood would just leave the classics alone!

Has anyone seen Lucio Fulcis 'ZOMBIE'? I'd say that is in the top ten Zombie films.
The WORST Zombie film? I would say...'Night of the Comet'. GOD that was awful!
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#17 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:54 AM

I don't watch many horror movies because of the blood. I just don't like to see something thats there just to gross me out. A good atmosphere can do more for a horror movie then copious gore ever could.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#18 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 15 July 2004 - 08:22 AM

"I hear the same director who remade 'Dawn of the Dead' is remakeing 'Day of the Dead. I wish hollywood would just leave the classics alone!"

Why? Its not like the classics themselves are changing. Think of the dead remakes as an homage to the older movies, because thats basically what they are. And whats wrong with that?

I've noticed a lot of people talking about how zombies like to eat brains... thats a misconception. Only one movie (to my knowledge) had zombies eating brains, and that was a parody. Imagine how lame it would be if zombies actually ate brains. Brains are the seat of zombie consciousness (however limited such a consciousness might be). By eating the brains of their victims zombies would be ensuring their own extinction! If it helps, think about the problem in terms of natural selection. Natural selection favored those zombies who could spread their affliction (essentially, reproduce). So, those zombies that desire to eat flesh ensure the continuation of their race. Those zombies who don't eat flesh at all, or desire to eat brain matter don't create other zombies, and eventually die off.

Hecubus, theres no reason I can think of why a fast zombie would do a backflip; hell I can't even do a back flip. Becoming a zombie doesnt make someone more physically fit; if anything, it makes them less so. So, a fast zombie might still be able to run, but probably wont even think to do a backflip, even if it was capable of doing so when alive. Also, keep in mind that fast zombies can travel in massive numbers too, which just makes them more dangerous. You DO NOT want to be around more than a few of these things. Okay, you really dont want to be around ANY of these things, buts that beside the point.

The other thing I really like about the zombies from the Dawn of the Dead remake is their screams. Those screams/moans are just creepy.

#19 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 15 July 2004 - 11:49 AM

QUOTE (Rory @ Jul 15 2004, 08:22 AM)
Hecubus, theres no reason I can think of why a fast zombie would do a backflip; hell I can't even do a back flip. Becoming a zombie doesnt make someone more physically fit; if anything, it makes them less so. So, a fast zombie might still be able to run, but probably wont even think to do a backflip, even if it was capable of doing so when alive. Also, keep in mind that fast zombies can travel in massive numbers too, which just makes them more dangerous. You DO NOT want to be around more than a few of these things. Okay, you really dont want to be around ANY of these things, buts that beside the point.

The other thing I really like about the zombies from the Dawn of the Dead remake is their screams. Those screams/moans are just creepy.

Rory, you take everything far too seriously.

#20 User is offline   Stongbah Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (Rory @ Jul 15 2004, 08:22 AM)

Because, you know, zombies doing backflips really kills the realism of those movies.

#21 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:41 PM

"Because, you know, zombies doing backflips really kills the realism of those movies."

Well, yeah, it sort of does, actually. These movies are spectacular, and sometimes just gosh darn silly at times, but once you get beyond the idea that zombies exist in the movie, everything else sort of makes sense. Zombies doing backflips, however, goes against a lot of what they've already established, ie zombies eat human flesh, and they arent very smart; if they see a human, they run to him or her as soon as possible with their teeth gnashing. Where do backflips fit into this scenerio?

"Rory, you take everything far too seriously."

I see that you included my "I love zombie screams" comment when writing this response. Well, you are right. I take my zombie screams very seriously!

#22 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:23 PM

Not really, just didn't notice that bit when I edited the rest out.
My point is that you're talking about realism when the subject matter at hand is zombies. The two simply do not go hand in hand.

#23 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:27 PM

Why do you say that, Heccubus? When you get over the fact that zombies don't really exist, and buy into some admittedly sketchy biology, then good zombie movies are, for the most part, pretty realistic. In the Dawn of the Dead remake, they set up zombies as reanimated corpses that can only be truly killed by destroying or injuring the brain. These zombies have an unchecked desire to consume human flesh. Its a pretty simple premise, and actually not that hard to buy into. When I think about it, I can almost fool myself into believing that such a creature could possibly exist.

Now, if the zombies started doing backflips... well, that would just be weird. Dont you agree? Backflips are something martial artists do, and are usually done to get away from an enemy, or jump off a ledge and land on the ground or something; they take conscious deliberate action to execute. Now, tell me, does a nearly mindless zombie whose only agenda is "find a way to eat all human flesh" strike you as something that would do backflips? It has little to no concern for its own health; its almost completely fearless (maybe it fears fire). It doesn't withdraw from combat, and theres no reason for it to look for clever ways to jump off ledges.

This is what I believe to be a common misconception about science fiction and horror movies. Just because the initial premise is totally out there, some people automatically assume that gives the movie the right to go crazy with everything, creating silly characters with no grounds in reality, and breaking their own precedents. I disagree; one of the best things about these movies is the realism and sense of familiarity in the face of such an unfamiliar premise. So yes, there are zombies. But really, they have the capabilities of people (except they feel no pain and arent nearly as intelligent), and the characters react to them like real people! That way, when you watch, you think to yourself, "wow, these people are a lot like me... I wonder how I would deal with something like this."

#24 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:03 PM

That's the point of Sci-Fi too. You get to bend the laws of the universe a bit, but the new laws then become the constant. Unless you're writing a bad hollywood flick that focuses all on martial arts and special effects, and you just do what ever you want in the universe you created while trying to maintain that nothing is changing because you stop caring about the actual story. Or something.

Rory, Heccubus was making fun of the back-flipping zombies because it was absurd.

And the Zombie vs. Vampire thing is already on that other thread, so I'm not going to bother here too.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#25 Guest_Guest_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:10 PM

Exactly, it is absurd. Which is why I'm glad they didn't include any in the movie. Nope, they used your typical zombies, only with better reflexes and a quicker run speed. Personally, I sort of prefer slower zombies, but hell, there were at least 3 excellent movies with slow zombies in them; fast zombies is an interesting twist, and it has a lot to offer too. Its like icecream; maybe chocolate is the old stand by, but every so often you have just got to go for strawberry. It spices things up... or rather fruitens things up... or what have you.

#26 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2004 - 05:11 PM

*coughs awkwardly and logs himself in*

#27 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:02 AM

Strawberry icecream is so much better then chocolate.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#28 User is offline   A Mighty Pirate Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2004 - 05:38 AM

I'm going to have to agree with Rory here. I enjoy both of the types of Zombies in the movies, and I must say the faster zombies are a helluva lot scarier.

And I think Heccubus' run-in with fast zombie would go more like this...

(Sound of Running Footsteps)

Heccubus: "Hello?"

Zombie comes tearing ass around the corner
Zombie: "AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

Heccubus: "Whatev-"

Zombie tears into Heccubus' Throat, effectively severing his juggular and silencing his screams, besides a few dying gurgles.

/Scene..
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism.

#29 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 July 2004 - 08:48 AM

The only 'Running Zombie Movie' I truely enjoyed would be 'Return of the Living Dead'. I love how they run around, foaming at the mouth screaming: "BRAAAAAINS". When I mentioned Back Flipping zombie in the first post, I wasn't being serious I was merely saying they COULD.

A Zombie at the beginning of the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" was laying down, then she jumped up from a laying position, to crouching position on her feet. A regular zombie ouldn't THAT now could it?

I'm hoping Romero doesn't use sprinting zombies in his next film. Which I doubt he will though.
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#30 User is offline   Rory Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:03 AM

Well, maybe in some superficial sense they could... like maybe they have the speed and muscles to do so; however they might simply lack the skill. Doing a backflip seems like it requires a certain amount of skill, and a certain amount of intelligence to accomplish; theres no reason to think the zombies in the dawn of the dead remake possess these qualities.

"A Zombie at the beginning of the remake of "Dawn of the Dead" was laying down, then she jumped up from a laying position, to crouching position on her feet. A regular zombie ouldn't THAT now could it?"

No, an old school zombie isnt fast enough to do something like that; it would probably rise with a jolt, its arms outstretched, or something like that. Both are pretty creepy/scary.

"I'm hoping Romero doesn't use sprinting zombies in his next film. Which I doubt he will though."

Well, I hope so too, not because there's anything wrong with sprinting zombies, but because it would totally mess up the continuity of his universe.

Personally, my favorite types of zombies are the utterly fearless, slow awkward types from the Zombie Survival Handbook. Fuck being scared by fire! As the saying goes, if you light a zombie on fire, all you've got is a flaming zombie. This book is really good if you like being legitamately worried about the zombie threat.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size