Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

I put forward a suggestion.

#1 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:25 PM

Can we save the prequels through creative editing? Removing all references to angels, removing strange romantic subplots, removing unlikeable characters or cutting their vocal cords when they're no longer necessary to the plot and otherwise revamping the entire trilogy. Can it be done, do you think? Can the prequels be saved? Editing has been used for evil in the past, especially in regards to Lucas and his tampering of the original trilogy. I believe it can be used for good. Tell me your ideas. Which scenes would you change? What would you cut out?
"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#2 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

There's a lot of extraneous material between episode 0 and episode 3. I would cut that part out.... Ok, maybe leave in the scene where Obi Wan and Qui Gon fight Darth Maul. Then just redo some of Sidious and Anakins dialogue so Annie's fall to the dark side makes some goddamn sense, and you'd have one solid movie. Also, I'd make the animated Clone Wars series live action to fill in for the deleted episodes one and two.

It's funny you brought this up. I watched episodes 1 and 2 not long ago and found my finger increasingly slipping towards the fast forward button. For episode 1 I went through the majority of the film at 36X speed. Episode 2 was somewhat more watchable, but I still skipped a lot.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 27 December 2010 - 04:28 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:42 AM

One more edit, which I just realized would be possible: Instead of Anakin and Padme having any sort of relationship, could it be edited so that it's just a drunken shagfest, with Anakin promising to call her later and then never doing so, and Padme disappearing offscreen til she gives birth? That would improve the prequels immensely, and also show Anakin to be a dark sider. And a pimp.

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 27 December 2010 - 04:43 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#4 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:48 AM

Get rid of the bit where Amadala names the twins moments before dying. Get rid of toddler Anakin's voice box. Get rid of the bit where he blows up the Trade Federation mothership. Just show a Naboo fighter blowing it up, with the person inside unseen. Get rid of R2D2's bumbling exploits. Get rid of droids communicating with one another and saying "funny" things in general.

This post has been edited by Deucaon: 27 December 2010 - 05:49 AM

"I felt insulted until I realized that the people trying to mock me were the same intellectual titans who claimed that people would be thrown out of skyscrapers and feudalism would be re-institutionalized if service cartels don't keep getting political favors and regulations are cut down to only a few thousand pages worth, that being able to take a walk in the park is worth driving your nation's economy into the ground, that sexual orientation is a choice that can be changed at a whim, that problems caused by having institutions can be solved by introducing more institutions or strengthening the existing ones that are causing the problems, and many more profound pearls of wisdom. I no longer feel insulted because I now feel grateful for being alive and witnessing such deep conclusions from my fellows."
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

#5 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 11:55 PM

Yeah, rewrite them, recast them, and then not make them, leaving us with the OT alone. I think that would be pretty good.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:35 AM

Maybe they could hang out in the cursed purgatory known as the EU.

#7 User is offline   Deucaon Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:23 AM

View Postcivilian_number_two, on 28 December 2010 - 02:55 PM, said:

Yeah, rewrite them, recast them, and then not make them, leaving us with the OT alone. I think that would be pretty good.

That's not an option. Unless you have a time machine. Do you have a time machine?
-Jimmy McTavern, 1938.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size