Chefelf.com Night Life: Clinton claims over wife's name raises eyebrows - Chefelf.com Night Life

Crappy News Forum

This is a REPLY ONLY form. Only Crappy News Moderators can post news topics here. Anyone is free to reply to the news topics. It's the Crappy News Forum, where everyone's a winner!

Page 1 of 1

Clinton claims over wife's name raises eyebrows Monday, June 28, 2004

#1 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:02 PM

Clinton claims over wife's name raises eyebrows in New Zealand

AUCKLAND (AFP) - Bill Clinton's autobiography "My Life" has been raising eyebrows in New Zealand amid rumblings the former US president has been less than truthful about the mountainous origins of his wife's name.

Clinton's claim that Hillary was named in honour of Sir Edmund Hillary, the New Zealander who conquered Mount Everest, has created more interest here than the former president's relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

On several visits to New Zealand during his time in office, the president referred to Sir Edmund as "the second favourite Hillary in our household", while Hillary herself has attributed her moniker to the mountaineer.

There is even an after dinner joke here that goes: "What do Bill Clinton and New Zealand have in common? They both owe their reputations to Hillary."

But the story has a fundamental problem: Edmund Hillary reached Everest's peak on May 29, 1953, nearly seven years after the infant Hillary arrived in the world.

Edmund Hillary's autobiography, "Nothing Venture, Nothing Win", noted that at the time of Hillary's birth, he was earning a modest income from bee-keeping.

Edmund Hillary could not be contacted Wednesday but he has met Hillary Clinton several times and with fund-raising for his Himalayan Trust clearly in mind, he has been discreet about his role in naming the former first lady.

http://au.news.yahoo...23/19/plqx.html

You have to respect someone that would lie about something so stupid.

Thanks to barend for this one!
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#2 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:29 PM

If I've said it once, I've said it a million times:
"Slick Willie indeed."

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:54 PM

I hate to break it to you but Hillary and Bill were like babies when this happened. I mean, how many of us really remember where we got our name. If it's anyone's fault it's that conniving Edmund Hillary for not telling them. I'm on to you, you mountain climbing bastard!

And in other news I snipped this from a report on the handover of "sovereignty" in Iraq:

"Bush, whose Iraq policy has drawn criticism abroad and, more recently, at home, was passed a note from National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice that put it this way: “Mr. President, Iraq is sovereign.”

Bush wrote “Let freedom reign!” on the note and passed it back, according to White House spokesman Scott McClellan."

Rice then returned the note after writing "Freedom Rules! LOL!" On it. Nato Leaders then confiscated it and read it to the whole class. Presiden't Bush was told to write "I will not pass notes during the NATO general assembly" fifty times, but after mispelling assembly ten times he was dismissed with a stern warning.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:56 AM

Clinton's a pretty bad husband.

he cheated on his wife, he didn't know where her name was from, all he has to do now is forget her birthday...

but seriously, thats a pretty embarrasing mistake.

it reminds me of an episode of 'just shoot me' where Jack Gallows wrote an auto biography, in which he claimed to have knocked out Robert Conrad in a fight... purley because he thought that he was dead and wouldn't contest it.

#5 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:48 AM

A lib friend was showing me highlights of the book on the 'net. About Bill's parents meeting Hillary, something like "her hair was so short she looked like a punk rocker"

not to get all "is" about it, but punk rock didn't arrive until at least 3 years later. And he missed his chance to give her credit for establishing the movement. tongue.gif

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 29 June 2004 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 29 2004, 02:56 AM)
but seriously, thats a pretty embarrasing mistake.

I disagree. What line would have to be crossed for this man to be embarrassed?

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 29 June 2004 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jun 29 2004, 08:48 AM)
A lib friend was showing me highlights of the book on the 'net. About Bill's parents meeting Hillary, something like "her hair was so short she looked like a punk rocker"

not to get all "is" about it, but punk rock didn't arrive until at least 3 years later. And he missed his chance to give her credit for establishing the movement. tongue.gif

Yeah, but punk rock has been around for almost 30 years now, so he can look back and compare it to that without it being quite as stupid of a mistake.

#8 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:20 PM

True. And if nobody checks the facts he's 100% correct. dry.gif

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size